2016-2017 GWU Application Thread

Guest GoyaHoya69

Guest GoyaHoya69

Thought someone should start a thread for those of us who are applying this year. Just submitted my supplemental today, 7/12. Still havent received a confirmation that they received my CASPA app, though. I was CASPA verified on 6/17, so it's been quite a while.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest GoyaHoya69

Just got an interview invite for Saturday, 9/17 !

EDITED: for correct date. I originally put Friday, but it's a Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing your stats?? 

CASPA verified 7/5 and I think I sent my supplemental in sometime around 7/18 and just got an interview today 8/24 for 9/17! Unfortunately I can't make that date so I had to ask if they could reschedule me for one of the other days and they said it wasn't guaranteed so fingers crossed. :(

Hi all,

My name is Julian and I'm a first year PA-1 student at GW with one summer semester under my belt and starting on my fall semester. As people are starting to get interview invites (congratulations! Major milestone right there!). Thought I'd pop in and answer any questions or offer any insight into the interview process that I can. One thing I can't speak in detail about is any specific questions on the MMI, as part of what you're being evaluated on is your ability to think on your feet.

Ask away, and good luck!

I don't remember 100%. I asked a friend and she said you kept it, but if you don't they'll have any relevant information in there with them. Remembering the instructions is not part of the MMI. They aren't trying to trip you up.

I got told off for making nervous small talk haha. Otherwise I don't remember any crazy or out there rules. You are in our simulation area that has a bunch of clinic rooms and they have the prompts in envelopes taped to the doors. You get a minute to read them and think about the task and then 7-8 minutes inside. The Voice of God (Erin McKan) will tell you when time is up and to rotate to the next station. Our faculty have good poker faces so how they react to you is not at all indicative of how you did. Once you're done with a station just be done with it and reset mentally for the next one. To me this was honestly the biggest benefit of the MMI is even if you had a bad station the slate is wiped clean immediately for the next one.

In terms of "practicing" for the MMI, I would look at example questions, just to get a feel for what kinds of things they might ask you, but don't worry too much about this. All the stuff in my MMI was skills, knowledge, or opinions that I had gotten from undergrad or working. It's more about how you think on your feet and what your thought process is than memorizing facts or getting the "correct" answer.

This response brought to you by Procrastinating for the Infectious Diseases exam :P

Hey Julian,

With GWU highlighting healthcare legislation as a foundation to the program, will interviewees be asked or expected to know about current laws (asides from basics) centering around the healthcare industry?

Thanks!

Hi all,

My name is Julian and I'm a first year PA-1 student at GW with one summer semester under my belt and starting on my fall semester. As people are starting to get interview invites (congratulations! Major milestone right there!). Thought I'd pop in and answer any questions or offer any insight into the interview process that I can. One thing I can't speak in detail about is any specific questions on the MMI, as part of what you're being evaluated on is your ability to think on your feet.

Ask away, and good luck!

Kjavadi,

Honestly I don't know. I wouldn't think you'd need to worry about anything too specific. The MMI is really focused on assessing the how you think, not what you know. Like I said earlier, I think the best thing to do is just think through things out loud and help the examiner see what your thought process is. The answer is less important than how you got to it.

Anyone interviewing this weekend you are encouraged to come to the social event on Friday (if you haven't already received an email from Erin with details you will soon). There will be a lot of us first years there for you to talk to and ask questions. This is entirely for your benefit: we aren't there to judge you or secretly evaluate you. And for our part, as Erin said today, "hopefully you'll be positive about GW but we can't control what you say." Everyone definitely remembers very clearly how stressful the interview process was.

As always, good luck all! Keep your heads up!

Archived