How do you get your HCE?

As someone who just got their CNA cert, and is starting as a tech in a hospital on med/surg floor for HCE. I am a little worried with bigdude's comments.

Don't worry about it. People get into PA school with no HCE, or with just volunteering time, or just shadowing time, or experience shuffling papers in a medical office. This is the internet...if we worry about every little gliche that flitters across our screen we would all be insane. Just remember.... "believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see." If you can manage that, you'll do just fine.

"believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see..

a springsteen fan, I presume.....

"Trust none of what you hear And less of what you see

This is what we’ll be, This is what will be"

-bruce springsteen, "magic"

"believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see"- Dad, spoken to me on my departure to boot camp in 1990. As a 22 year Navy man starting in 1942 he understood the terrors of the rumor mill. I still carry that advice with me in the forefront of my mind.

Dad wasn't a listener to music so I doubt a Springsteen connection but you never know.

Mktalon-I only stated that those schools don't accept CNA experience because that is what I was told by them. I will pm you the contact information of those individuals if you would like. Now I know in some instances it is accepted and I WAS WRONG. I am not discredting the few PAs who got their HCE as a CNA nor that I imply that in any way. I was just stating my opinion on CNA experience.

bigdude, with all due respect, I wasn't getting an attitude with you. But if we are going to continue this conversation, you said: "The two schools in my area....wil NOT count CNA experience as HCE." There is a big difference between it not qualifying for HCE and it not being considered top tier experience. There is a poster on this very thread who attended one of those schools you mentioned, who got her/his experience as a home health aid. It is one thing to misspeak about something (as I did earlier in this thread). It is another to do so in such a malicious tone as to insult an entire group of workers. Are there tiers to the quality of HCE? Absolutely. Medic is better experience than CNA. But a 4.0 GPA is also better than a 3.2. If your cumulative undergrad GPA was anything less than a 4.0 would you disqualify yourself from PA school because you didn't take your academics as "seriously" as your HCE? Both are important factors when it comes to a competent applicant. I just ask that you please don't come on here and discredit an entire group of people that have gotten through PA school and are now competent practicing PAs, who also happened to get their HCE as CNAs.

As someone who just got their CNA cert, and is starting as a tech in a hospital on med/surg floor for HCE. I am a little worried with bigdude's comments.

Don't worry about it too much, do your thing, your doing the right thing already by getting hands on HCE, take in as much experience as you can get as a CNA in the med/surf floor and if for some reason after a while you realize that it wasn't going to be enough to prepare you for PA, I suggest you take an EMT class on the side and work part time as an EMT, but keep your spot in the hospital, which you could use to gain a spot as an ER tech later on.

I got my HCE mostly as an EMT, and the experience I got as one cannot compare to a CNA. They teach you how to assess a patient and react accordingly, which are important basics to learn before becoming a PA.

However, I also had the chance to work as a caregiver in a nursing home, and my role was exactly the same as that of a CNA. And what I learned there could never be compared to my experience as an EMT. I learned how to deal with patients and care for them in a different way. I became better with bedside manner and became much more compassionate, traits I believe are also important for PAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived