HPSP (Navy or AF)

FWIW, many (most?) Navy PA's I know have deployed with the Army as augmentees. The Navy PA community is very small (about 200 total). I know AF PA's get tagged as well. We are simply moving more and more to a joint operating environment. It may all be winding down if the Army is reaching full-strength for PA's, and also with the wars winding down.

There are only something like 11 or 12 shipboard billets for Navy PA's, yet they remain one of the most highly deployed groups in Navy Medicine. They aren't going to sea - they're going to Iraq and Afghanistan.

In any case, the Navy is increasing PA billets with Marine Corps battalions. The Marines were slow to warm up to the idea of PA's as I understand, but after a pilot program, they are looking to get one with each infantry battalion.

FWIW, Navy PA retention is increasing (probably due to the economy plus recently approved bonuses for PA's) and, as I said it is a small community. Most Navy PA's are prior enlisted and the general feeling in the community is that is the way they would like to keep it. I don't say this to discourage anyone, only to pass the word that I have heard that direct commissions for PA's in the Navy are getting few and far between.

By the way, I'm an active duty Navy PA student at IPAP, just for reference.

• 4 weeks later...

HMtoPA,

Be aware that currently any Navy PA that has graduated after 1 Oct 2008 is NOT eligible for the IP and RB. This affects many and the retention rate is about to change if not corrected. This issue has been brought up to the highest level (Flag) and may not change anytime soon unfortunately. You will still get the BCP though, all $177/mo of it...

For reference this means a potential loss of $92,000 over 4 years when time to extend beyond your IPAP committment.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived