2016-2017 Application Cycle

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, @hfillman! Who was it that called to inform you of your acceptance? So exciting!! 

Thank you! It was Mr. Brenneman that called me. 

Sorry if I made people more stressed by letting you know that I had received a call. That definitely was not my intent! For other schools I felt it was helpful for to know the admissions timeline. It is still very early in the cycle so there are plenty of open positions left!!

Hey! Has everyone that got an interview invite gotten the 'interview hold' first OR did some people get the interview invite without the 'interview hold'? Thanks in advance!

I interviewed on 8/26-27 and was on the interview hold list first! I don't have anything to back this up, but the interview hold list may have been for people who had verified applications early in the cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if they hand out interviews without putting you on hold first now that we are moving along.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, 

My application was submitted September 7th, and I have only received the confirmation email. I am really worried because I have unfortunately already received two rejections from other programs. My stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.59 

Science GPA: 3.35 (I know this is low)

Verbal GRE: 157

Quantitative GRE: 160

Writing GRE: 4.5

Hours of Patient Care Experience:1700

Hours of Shadowing: 100

Is it completely hopeless to wait for an email about an interview? Especially with such a low science GPA. I also feel like I submitted 3 weeks ago, and if I was going to get an interview invite I feel as though I would have gotten it already :( This is my first time applying and I am afraid I will not get into any of the schools I applied for. 

Hi Everyone, 

My application was submitted September 7th, and I have only received the confirmation email. I am really worried because I have unfortunately already received two rejections from other programs. My stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.59 

Science GPA: 3.35 (I know this is low)

Verbal GRE: 157

Quantitative GRE: 160

Writing GRE: 4.5

Hours of Patient Care Experience:1700

Hours of Shadowing: 100

Is it completely hopeless to wait for an email about an interview? Especially with such a low science GPA. I also feel like I submitted 3 weeks ago, and if I was going to get an interview invite I feel as though I would have gotten it already :( This is my first time applying and I am afraid I will not get into any of the schools I applied for. 

Your stats are not bad, I wouldn't worry. Just stay positive and bolster your weak spots. A well rounded applicant (which is what you seem to be) is what PA programs are looking for.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah my stats will give people hope! Haha

Overall GPA- 3.5

Science GPA-3.6

GRE- 159 Verbal; 152 Quant; 4.5 Writing

MCAT- 28

Hours- around 2000 (phlebotomist, Pharm Tech, ER Scribe)

Shadowing- around 30 hours

Ditto! Your stats are DEFINITELY not all Iowa is interested in.

Overall GPA: 3.6

Science GPA: 3.6

GRE: 156 verbal, 156 quant, 3.5(!!) writing

Hours: around 3200 (xray tech), 2400 (xray student), 40 (medical mission in India)

Research: 675 hours

Shadowing: 72 hours

The interviews went great! The information session and tour on the Friday before was a perfect way to get to know some of the faculty and made the actual interview much less stressful because everyone is so nice there. For future interviewees, dress for that Friday is more business casual instead of business formal. I didn't realize that so I wanted to give you all a heads up! 

The actual interview is an interesting set up, but I personally liked it. You have 10 different stations, with 10 minutes total at each station. Two minutes to read the scenario and form your answer, then 8 minutes to talk to someone one on one. They have questions to guide you through so try not to stress about trying to talk for the full 8 minutes. 

I received a call from the school yesterday letting me know that I had been accepted! The quick turn around was a pleasant surprise! They said that they will let people know anywhere from now until late December if they have been accepted. 

Let me know if you have any more questions about the process. Good luck everyone! 

What would you recommend wearing the two days? Planning to wear a black suit for the actual interviews, but what did applicants wear for the business casual day?

What would you recommend wearing the two days? Planning to wear a black suit for the actual interviews, but what did applicants wear for the business casual day?

A tucked in button down and good shoes should be enough for the first day. I went with a blazer over it, but it is definitely not necessary.

Archived