Accepted to Touro NV But declining...

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone who is accepted to Touro NV class 2014 and is going to go to a different school could let us know! Just so we can get an idea for those of us on the waitlist. I spoke with Touro today and they said their is about 19 people on the waitlist. The next depo is May 1st so that is when they will have a better idea who is declining their spot and will start calling the waitlist.

Thank you and good luck to all!!

This program should be the last program anyone should consider attending. If you don't get any other offers, then yes, take it because you need a degree an license to practice. Just keep in mind that you won't get anything out of it except frustration and confusion. I had considered transferring to another program numerous times, but unfortunately, no programs would accept transfers and you would have to restart from the beginning. If I could afford the money and time, I would have done it from the beginning. If I could go back, I would NEVER have decided to come here. I accepted the offer here because it's close to home so it's convenient, but I have been regretting it ever since.

Faculty for didactics sucked. They taught us the wrong the things or irrevelant materials. We got so excited to get the hell out of the didactic to enter clinicals. The former clinical coordinator was the program director's husband. He retired in July 2011 and we had a new clinical coordinator. He had been prepping us for clinicals, and then on the last day of our didactic, he gave his last prepping session, and at the end of the session, he said "by the way guys, my last day here will be in 2 weeks" which was supposed to be our first day of clinicals. Many of us didn't even get placed for the first month. And they had no replacement for the position. Then the program director asked her husband to come back to fill the spot. He is old and wants to retire and he did, so I understand he doesn't want to be there. He had even mentioned that his wife made him to come back. On top of all the confusion, his method is completely different from the previous clinical coordinator, and during this entire time, we were trained by the previous clinical coordinator, and now we gotta relearn this guy's method.

And the program director always seems lost and doesn't seem to know what she's doing. Guidelines constantly change on a daily basis, there is absolutely no organization or structure. Both the program director and her husband are from the military special force, so they operate on suppressing in other words, the students are too afraid to speak up because we're alway threatened of the consequences if we do.

So my advice to you is if you have a better offer, please take it, and run away from this program.

Good luck to you all!!

Please take this posting with a grain of salt. It has been my experience in life that when a person is all about the negatives they are generally an unhappy person. I have personally been with this program for the last 6 months, and can say that I see how hard the faculty work for the students. They are all truly good hearted people who actually care about each student as an individual. I can honestly say that none of the faculty would ever post hurtful things about any of the students no matter what the situation, because they are generally happy people and professionals. It concerns me as a faculty member that a student would think that blogging in such a deliberate and hateful way would be accetable. Its not.

We all have hurdles in life and things we think are not fair, but its how we handle them that makes us who we are. Who would you rather call a peer and a friend as a PA? The person spewing venom and complaining about everything? Or the people who work hard, are well balanced and kind hearted? I'll take the later, both as a friend and a peer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a student at Touro University, now in my clinical rotations (PA class of 2012) and I can assert that I have absolutely no regrets having chosen Touro as my Alma Mater. The going hasn't been easy, and the studies have been tough, but we should remember that patients' lives will be in our hands, and Touro does just what it should do: i.e., prepare us for a life as a medical provider. The first year is tough, and the toughest subjects can be Anat Biochem and Pharm, but we're all supposed to have some prior medical exposure and have the prerequisites under our belt, and it doesn't harm anyone to come prepared. The staff are extraordinarily caring, and at the beginning of then year, the Program Director will meet the spouses of the new students to tell them exactly why their husbands or wives will spend so much time studying. The Faculty go out of their way to help. The senior students are extremely helpful. There are Tutors provided to you if you fall back in any subject and don't ever hesitate to ask for one. And the proff of the pudding is finally in the eating: more than 95% of 2011 passed PANCE and some were offered jobs even during their rotations. The external rotations actually give us opportunities to strut our stuff to many different preceptors who want to employ PAs. So don't let anything dissuade you from joining a wonderful school and forging ahead in a wonderful career. Just come prepared to study and learn!

I'm a student at Touro University, now in my clinical rotations (PA class of 2012) and I can assert that I have absolutely no regrets having chosen Touro as my Alma Mater. The going hasn't been easy, and the studies have been tough, but we should remember that patients' lives will be in our hands, and Touro does just what it should do: i.e., prepare us for a life as a medical provider. The first year is tough, and the toughest subjects can be Anat Biochem and Pharm, but we're all supposed to have some prior medical exposure and have the prerequisites under our belt, and it doesn't harm anyone to come prepared. The staff are extraordinarily caring, and at the beginning of then year, the Program Director will meet the spouses of the new students to tell them exactly why their husbands or wives will spend so much time studying. The Faculty go out of their way to help. The senior students are extremely helpful. There are Tutors provided to you if you fall back in any subject and don't ever hesitate to ask for one. And the proff of the pudding is finally in the eating: more than 95% of 2011 passed PANCE and some were offered jobs even during their rotations. The external rotations actually give us opportunities to strut our stuff to many different preceptors who want to employ PAs. So don't let anything dissuade you from joining a wonderful school and forging ahead in a wonderful career. Just come prepared to study and learn!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived