2016-2017 Application Cycle

Hello to everyone!

I decided I'd start this thread for the new 2016-2017 Seton Hall applicants. I remember my application process and how difficult it was to make sure I was getting everything right. I remember having tons of questions through every step.

Hopefully this can be a platform where other students and I can answer questions that have to do with the application process (obviously everything we will tell you is strictly our OWN experience and not necessarily always the school's measuring stick for acceptance).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for informing me! I had another question - i know for Seton Hall - there is not a section to write down all the healthcare hours, therefore did you send them an additional document listing all your healthcare hours or extra experiences along with any certifications? Please let me know. Thank you so much.

From what I remember there is a form for health care experience (hours) and another for PA shadowing hours. As an EMT, I was working/worked with several companies but when I filled out the form I only documented my hours for one company (since it was 1000+ hours anyway). If you have multiple settings that you'd like to include in your application, you may want to use a separate form (since it requires a supervisor signature). I would recommend you to double check with the program on how they'd like you to document it.

In terms of certifications, I didn't send anything specifically.

Thanks so much Rahman! I am applying here as well. I'm waiting until after I retake the GRE on August 24th to submit -- shooting for second week of Sept. I would like to ask you about how Seton Hall values the GRE score. Would you say that most of your classmates did above average on the GRE? Was it brought up during your interview? I am shooting for just average... particularly on the Quant section. First time around my GRE quant score was very unimpressive... Thanks for any info! 

I don't know how the other applicants did on their GREs but I can tell you that I myself scored right around the 50 percentile cutoff (which is around 152 on the Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning). I hate to sound generic but as always, the program will look at you holistically. If your application is stronger in other areas such as HCEs, shadowing hours, GPA, etc. then no doubt it will make up for weaker portions of your application. At the same time, programs put certain cutoff requirements in order to filter through all the applicants so you can't be too low.

You definitely want to try your best to get the highest scores you can, don't shoot for just average. Push yourself to be beyond average! You still have a week so hit the books hard and I wish you the best!

I don't know how the other applicants did on their GREs but I can tell you that I myself scored right around the 50 percentile cutoff (which is around 152 on the Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning). I hate to sound generic but as always, the program will look at you holistically. If your application is stronger in other areas such as HCEs, shadowing hours, GPA, etc. then no doubt it will make up for weaker portions of your application. At the same time, programs put certain cutoff requirements in order to filter through all the applicants so you can't be too low.

You definitely want to try your best to get the highest scores you can, don't shoot for just average. Push yourself to be beyond average! You still have a week so hit the books hard and I wish you the best!

Thank you! I am certainly feeling confident that I will improve my score. Just curious, do you think programs post online that they don't have a GRE minimum but then use a filter anyways? Is the minimum the filter? Or are programs allowed to not have an official minimum but use a filter anyways?

I think at the end of the day programs will be comparing the applicants' stats. What it will probably come down to is how you compare to other applicants. For example, Seton Hall's page says that the most competitive applicants score close to the 50 percentile mark on their GREs. They're essentially telling you that “That's around the ballpark that the strong candidates score so make sure your score is around there, if not better.”

I don't know how far programs go with the whole filtering out process you are asking about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived