Class of 2016-2017

Congrats on those that received interview offers! They have many of the current PA students help out with the interview process so hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys at your interview. Remember, stats may have gotten you an interview, but, personality will get you a spot :) so just relax and be yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!! Just read this thread and got chills! I was in the same exact spot as you guys a year ago!!! Now I'm a first year at UAB PA program and could not be happier (aside from the lack of sleep). I wish you guys the very best!  Like SL pope said you got the interview now you just gotta be yourself!

The 1 & 2 years will be helping with interviews so we might get a chance to meet some of you. If anyone has any questions just ask!. I wish you guys the very best! See ya in November! 

Also check us on IG  uab_pa to get an inside look at what our days are like! 

I currently run the account with the help of a second year so you guys can message on that if you wanted.

GOOD LUCK!

johana 

I am pretty positive interviews are happening all in one week November 7-11, therefore I'm not sure they will be scheduling anyone for the following week. Do not give up hope, maybe they are still calling this week. I remember looking at these posts and losing hope then I got the email two weeks before the actual interview. Hang in there! 

For those that are out of state, does the exorbitant tuition worry you? I would LOVE to apply to this school next year, but with tuition and fees in the range of >150k not including living costs, I'm somewhat deterred. Will someone please tell me I've calculated that incorrectly?

There's a tuition exchange thing you can do and qualify for instate if your state allows it. The price is still more than my in state schools so that's the only thing that deters me.

For those that are out of state, does the exorbitant tuition worry you? I would LOVE to apply to this school next year, but with tuition and fees in the range of >150k not including living costs, I'm somewhat deterred. Will someone please tell me I've calculated that incorrectly?

I'm a current UAB PA student and I'm paying out of state tuition. It's expensive, but, it's so worth it because UAB is a surgical based PA program (one of only two in the nation). You really only have to pay out of state tuition for the first year anyway then you can become a resident. I think my loans for the first year were a little less than 100,000. Hope that helps!

I'm a current UAB PA student and I'm paying out of state tuition. It's expensive, but, it's so worth it because UAB is a surgical based PA program (one of only two in the nation). You really only have to pay out of state tuition for the first year anyway then you can become a resident. I think my loans for the first year were a little less than 100,000. Hope that helps!

I emailed a staff member from uab about applying for residency for tuition purposes and they responded saying it's more complicated than simply living in Alabama for a year solely for educational purposes.

I'm not an expert on the subject, since I'm from Alabama and am a resident of the state, but I had a friend in undergrad who could no longer afford out-of-state tuition and had to work full-time (while NOT being a student) for about 2 years before she applied for residency. Even then, there was no guarantee that she would get it. The story has a happy ending, where she was granted Alabama residency and completed her undergrad degree! Good luck!

There's a actually quite a few ppl currently in the program that were able to become a resident, pay in state tuition and are here solely for school (and have never worked in this state). It can totally be done, they make it sound a lot harder to nearly impossible to become a resident here then it actually is [emoji2]

Thanks!  I just booked at the Residence Inn Marriott.  11/9-11/11  I am thinking I won't get a car either.

Hey, I'm coming in from Hawaii too. Got my Interview in the morning session on 11/10, staying at the double tree across the street from the Residence Inn from 11/09-11/10. Was originally going to stay at the Residence inn, but the Double Tree had a free airport shuttle service. I would be getting in at around 9am on the 9th, if you're down to kill time with me. Was thinking about exploring the town lol

to blau808:

Are you flying over on Delta flt. 836 from hnl and 341 to bhm?

I haven't booked yet; it is so expensive. But I am thinking of coming in the morning of 11/9.

No I'm actually doing 2 different round trips. I'm doing a roundtrip to LAX through Hawaiian (and LAX back to Hawaii), and then from LAX to BHM with a DFW connecting (and then BHM back to LAX)through American air.

Definitely expensive lol. Cheapest I could find.

Welcome to the club!! I'm so extremely excited for interview day too!

According to these resources on their website:

http://birminghammedicalnews.com/news.php?viewStory=2382

https://www.uab.edu/shp/cds/images/PDF/PA2016/CDS_PA_Booklet_2-9-16.pdf

It seems like they've committed to increasing the class size by 50% through 2020! I guess the original number was 60 students and now they're up to 90? So I think they might gradually increase the number of spots over the next several years. According to the director of the program, Dr. Kilgore, they had "1500 applications for 90 slots". The article was published in September, so I'm not sure if he meant this cycle or last by those numbers.

Archived