Dermatology Offer- New Grad- Please Help

Hi Everyone, 

I am a new Graduate looking into working in the field of dermatology. I would really appreciate some advice on this offer I got from a potential employer. Since I am a new graduate with no experience in dermatology, I will be mentored the first year, not expected to see many patients myself. The following is what I have been offered:

- 100,000 base salary for first year 

- No benefits

- PTO: 7 national holidays 

I do like the mentoring part that he is offering, I do understand that dermatology is a specialty and a lot of learning to do the first year. I was very disappointed that no benefits are offered. Any advice? I really like the field of dermatology, is this something to consider? Any advice will really help. Thank you all in advance! 

No, I am not married. We have another meeting soon. I will try and negotiate, but I am not happy with this offer. I understand that they are training, but benefits are our rights. At the very least, I feel he should offered more benefits. Thank you for the reply. I am also looking into Family practice/OBGYN potential offers. I will keep you all updates on how the next meeting goes for Derm. 

Every real residency/fellowship I have seen treats you as a full employee during the training period with benefits and time off. You take a cut in pay and work incredible hours to learn/experience as much as possible, but they take care of you from an insurance standpoint so that you can be there working in a safe and healthy manner.

All this offer really represents is a practice hoping to take advantage of you

HORRIBLE offer

benefits are about $20k per year

this is an $80,000 offer which clearly states they don't anything but a production mill, money generator and they do not care about you.  How can you have only 7 days off?

How do you advance your knowledge as a new grad with no CME or time off?

How do you take care of yourself with no health insurance or retirement?

Go do a PCP field for a year or two then go into subspecialty medicine   

HORRIBLE offer

benefits are about $20k per year

this is an $80,000 offer which clearly states they don't anything but a production mill, money generator and they do not care about you.  How can you have only 7 days off?

How do you advance your knowledge as a new grad with no CME or time off?

How do you take care of yourself with no health insurance or retirement?

Go do a PCP field for a year or two then go into subspecialty medicine   

Thank you Ventana for the reality check. I am currently looking into PCP jobs and maybe in the future get into a specialty. Soon I meet again with the dermatologist, I am uncertain how to gracefully decline his offer, or if to even attempt and negotiate some benefits. My license took a while to arrive, so I am desperate to get a job, I guess that's why I even considered the offer. But it is quite unfair. I need to be smart, I guess some try to take advantage since I am a new Graduate, barely learning all the business/ negotiation aspect. Again, thanks for your reply. 

Dermatology is very competitive, and if it's truly what you want to do, you may want to consider trying to negotiate.  Some questions:  How many days/hours a week are you working?  Any call?  Any option to bonus now or in the future? Also, has this doctor ever had a PA before?  If you're the first PA they've hired, they may not understand what should be in their offer, and may just be going off of what another practice did.  As a new grad derm PA, if you want to negotiate because you really want the position, my recommendation would be to take a lower salary for the first year with an agreement to re-negotiate yearly and try to get full benefits included with that (CME, vacation, licensing, malpractice, any insurance or retirement that is offered to full-time employees).  Since derm usually ends up being production based salary, you would want that option in your contract as well, and having a lower base salary makes it easier to bonus, so your earning potential is based on how hard you are willing to work.  It's reasonable for the doc to want to have time to train you well, and it gives you a chance to prove your efficiency, which gives you negotiating power in the future when you know what you're collecting for the practice.  Hope that helps! 

Archived