2016-2017 Philly Campus Application Thread

Guest GoyaHoya69

Guest GoyaHoya69

That's an INSANE deposit. I guess they really want to ensure commitment.

The program director, Jesse Coal (?), said that they would be willing to work with accepted students on the amount of deposit if they demonstrated a legitimate financial hardship. Just FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys!

So I interviewed on the 28th of September and though they interviewed around 14 people, when I asked the director he said only two spots are left for the philly class. But keep in mind that they have an undergraduate program so half the class seats automatically go to them. Apparently this year 2/3 of the seats went to undergrads coming in because four years ago they accepted too many into their pre-pa program. Which means instead of having 40 spots to fill like other pa schools they only have 20 open spots for 2,000 applicants. With this school especially if you don't get your application in before June you basically don't stand a chance, especially with rolling admissions. I did not ask if they will be conducting more interviews for the philly campus but unless a bunch of people drop I highly doubt it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was in your same shoes last year and I remember hating not knowing the status of anything.

I haven't heard back regarding the interview though I should next week. I also interviewed last year for them in February but it was for New Jersey Campus wait list only.

My stats are:

Gpa around 3.6 for both normal and science

2200 patient care hours as both an EMT and a Medical Assistant

Guest GoyaHoya69

Hey guys!

So I interviewed on the 28th of September and though they interviewed around 14 people, when I asked the director he said only two spots are left for the philly class. But keep in mind that they have an undergraduate program so half the class seats automatically go to them. Apparently this year 2/3 of the seats went to undergrads coming in because four years ago they accepted too many into their pre-pa program. Which means instead of having 40 spots to fill like other pa schools they only have 20 open spots for 2,000 applicants. With this school especially if you don't get your application in before June you basically don't stand a chance, especially with rolling admissions. I did not ask if they will be conducting more interviews for the philly campus but unless a bunch of people drop I highly doubt it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I was in your same shoes last year and I remember hating not knowing the status of anything.

This makes sense, as I also interviewed on 9/28 and just got waitlisted there today.

Guest GoyaHoya69

This makes sense, as I also interviewed on 9/28 and just got waitlisted there today.

What a difference a few hours make .. I'll be taking my name off of the waitlist as I just got accepted elsewhere like 2 hours after being waitlisted here.

Guest GoyaHoya69

Do you know what number you were on the waitlist? Apparently PhilaU tells you what number you are on!

The email for the waitlist said that they don't rank the waitlist until all interviews are finished. So I don't know what number I am.

I applied late last year to this school- my CASPA was verified 8/27/15 and I got an interview the last interview group. When we got there we were told there were only two seats left. I got an email a few hours after I interviewed that I was moved to #1 on the wait list- so they do wait till all interviews are done to rank the waitlist.

So my interview was in Feb and then a spot opened sometime around middle third of march .

It is a long waiting process - don't stress just do thinks that make the time pass by . There is still hope for you to get in:)

That's really nice to hear keyara. I am trying to stay hopeful and not think about it lol. But your story definitely gives me hope.

And to respond to you FuturePA, I was not exactly thrilled to hear it but there's nothing we can really do about it you know? It just makes me wish I had known a) what I wanted to do before I went to college and b) that those kind of undergrad programs existed.

Also just so you guys know, most people are coming in with 4.0 science GPAs. That's how competitive is. They definitely lool at other things (work exerpience, background, hours, etc.) but it's super competitive. Try to do other things besides accruing hours to make yourself stand out.

Thank you for the info and heads up. This helps me move on and prepare for next years application cycle or finding an alternative career. Good luck

Also just so you guys know, most people are coming in with 4.0 science GPAs. That's how competitive is. They definitely lool at other things (work exerpience, background, hours, etc.) but it's super competitive. Try to do other things besides accruing hours to make yourself stand out.

So what do you recommend doing besides the hours? Especially Gpa wise we can't really go back and improve those?

So what do you recommend doing besides the hours? Especially Gpa wise we can't really go back and improve those?

I don't know about PhilaU specifically, but I know that some other programs do like to see consistent community volunteer work (i.e. Volunteering at a soup kitchen or something along those lines) aside from PCE hours. Also, if you are worried about your GPA you can try retaking a few courses that you think you didn't do so well in the first time around. Or even take upper level science courses such as pathophysiology, cell bio etc. to show that you can handle difficult science coursework if your sGPA isn't as strong as you would like. Those are just some suggestions that I have heard for improving your application :)

Also congrats to those who have been accepted so far and thank you PAinthe2015 for the info!

I'm just wondering for those that were accepted, do they give you a limited amount of time to accept the offer and put in your deposit? I interviewed 10/21 for the NJ campus and there were 3 sessions that day (so around ~30 people?).. So I would assume the program is waiting to hear back from the offers they sent out so far since the class was already full before they interviewed this past weekend.

That's the trend these days which is unfortunate in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestion cle9. A good portion of my hours were actually volunteer hours so maybe that helped me to get on the wait list instead of flat out rejected like last year lol. Going back to do more classes is a little impossible though, especially with working and trying to save money and how much classes cost. Oh well. Here's to holding onto hope

Archived