Degree Completion Program List

D`Youville college in Buffalo, new york just changed their program to an MS degree and will have transition program for those with an existing BS. I reccomend this school highly. Really stepped up its reputation in the past 5-6 years. Private school so it usually means nmore money. dont know the tuition

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Practicing PA's seeking a bachelors, because they only gave a Certificate. Now out 16 years what do you do? What about time in grade and CME. We don't just stop learning when you get that $68,000 piece of paper. I would gladly pay 6-10 K to Nebraska for a BS and a MPAS just to Get R Done.

LAR, you hit it right on the head. Its just a paper chase a $$GREEN$$ paper chase. if that is what they want I'll play where do I send the check. I would only consider Nebraska's program because they are not gouging PA's like the rest.

Then, it is a no brainer... the Nebraska program beats them all. I know that some people (elitists) do not like this program. When there is harsh opposition to something, always follow the money trail.

The APAP (now called the PAEA) Degree Task Force of 2000 recognized that PA education, regardless of were it is taught, is considered to be at a master's level. For those of you that put down the Nebraska program, let me explain something... they are only awarding practicing PAs without a degree what they deserved from the beginning!

Some big named institutions, when they switched to a master's from a bachelor's, offered their graduates a master's degree under some form of grandfathering clause. Unfortunately, and for financial gain (although they will deny this, of course), they charge their graduates ridiculous fees and make them take additional courses to justify the cost for the degree (I am sure that they can come up with what will appear to be reasonable excuses for this).

Unless you are planning on working in academia (although not all of them require and academic degree) or are in pursue of a doctorate degree (that requires an academic master's degree), it makes absolutely no difference what program you go to. For those smart enough to know better, and ignore the elitists among us, the Nebraska program is not only the most commonsensical but also the best choice.

LAR

report.gif

• 2 weeks later...
anyone know much about the the st francis online masters program?

Friend of mine did it while I did the nebraska program. we both got a masters and I was done in a yr for 1800 dollars at the time( now around 4k I think) and she took 2 yrs and 12k or so( now $$$)....do yourself a favor...do the nebraska program......

• 5 weeks later...
Guest james

Heres my take,

I graduated from PA school right before it converted to a Masters degree so therefore I was stuck. I looked at the options and determined Univ of Nebraska was too much of a "degree factory." If I remember correctly they required 16 credits of additional coursework? $3000 and you get something nice to hang on your wall.

Some of the other schools like Drexel were just too expensive.

I went with Nova South Eastern University which was a 36 credit Masters at nearly half the cost. I think I paid around $9000 total. You can transfer 6 credits from your previous PA work. I think PALS,ACLS, and ATLS certification will qualify you for 1 of the elective classes. The program was completed via the long distance learning program. They were professional, prompt, and the school was very "user friendly." The final project requires publishing an article for a selected journal.

Having that said, I completed the graduate degree for my own edification. Simply put, I was sick of hearing the old "We are at a graduate level" nonsense. I agree that PA schooling is graduate level work and therefore should receive the appropriate degree, however, graduate degrees in my opinion dont make a good clinician.

PS. Beware of those that like to use more than 3 letters in credentials.

I graduated from the St. Francis MMS program in 1996. I thought it was exceptional. Bill Duryea put on a great learning experience with relevant classes, ie, advanced pharm, med stats, etc., so I recommend it highly. Its about a 2 hour drive east of Pittsburgh on State Hwy 22 if I recall correctly. It was a bit pricey, but worth it.

Mike

"The program was completed via the long distance learning program. They were professional, prompt, and the school was very "user friendly." The final project requires publishing an article for a selected journal."

this is also true of nebraska. the cost is now around 3000 dollars and they have added credit for the research paper and a research class to bring the total up to 30 graduate units. my paper was published as well.

"PS. Beware of those that like to use more than 3 letters in credentials"

gotcha-

emedpa, pa-c, mpas, ba, bs, emt-p, acls instructor:D :D :D :D

while true I actually just list pa-c, emt-p

"The program was completed via the long distance learning program. They were professional, prompt, and the school was very "user friendly." The final project requires publishing an article for a selected journal."

this is also true of nebraska. the cost is now around 3000 dollars and they have added credit for the research paper and a research class to bring the total up to 30 graduate units. my paper was published as well.

"PS. Beware of those that like to use more than 3 letters in credentials"

gotcha-

emedpa, pa-c, mpas, ba, bs, emt-p, acls instructor:D :D :D :D

while true I actually just list pa-c, emt-p

The Nova doctoral program, DHSc., is also a very good program for those of you looking to earn a doctorate. It is also user friendly and you study with a variety of medical professionals in your course. While I was studying there, the majority of students were PAs, but we had RNs, Dieticians, OT's, and Athletic Trainers, just to name a few. A good program if you are so inclined. It will take 3-4 years to complete. And yes, the MPAS qualifies for admission.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Having to receive a masters degree is the classic problem. I said it two years ago and I am saying it again. Third party payors will require the masters and without the payors, we do not get paid. It happened in the addictions field and it will happen for PAs.

There used to be a time when a recovering addict with a GED could be a drug counselor. Now,. that same person is required to have a masters degree.

Having to receive a masters degree is the classic problem. I said it two years ago and I am saying it again. Third party payors will require the masters and without the payors, we do not get paid. It happened in the addictions field and it will happen for PAs.

There used to be a time when a recovering addict with a GED could be a drug counselor. Now,. that same person is required to have a masters degree.

Yes Madame Moderator, I remember that thread. I also appreciate all the similar discussion. I offered my post as a way for folks to hopefully get to that point you speak of. There are still quite a few folks out there that need to get the BS before they can to get to the MS. Even though I wasn't a jarhead, I still believe you don't leave anyone behind.;)

LesH

Of course, I need to say that I work here, but the BHSc program at Nova Southeastern University is very willing to work with PAs who need a bachelor's degree via distance learning. Most Associate degree or certificate PAs will need only 30 credits of distance courses; the cost is presently $200 a credit. Graduates of the BHSc can enter our MHSc and then our DHSc. Contact the program director of the BHSc, Mr. Chris Mitchell, at cmitchel@nova.edu. We are fully accredited and known for our contribution to PA education, both at the professional and post-professional level.

Patricia Kelly, PA-C, MHS, Ed.D

Chair, Department of Health Science

Director, Doctor of Health Science Program

Nova Southeastern University

• 10 months later...

This is still completely anecdotal information (so much for evidence-based decision making processes) as there is still no evidence that this is or will be a requirement for PAs in the future. This reminds me of the "sky is falling" story. We can keep on spinning this issue for as long as we want to but the reality is that degrees are only required in a small percentage of situations. Perhaps if we keep spinning this issue, it will become a reality (as some very well wish it was). At that point, we will deserve what we so fervently asked for.

LAR

• 4 months later...

I'll add my 2 cents because this subject irks me to no end.

First off, everyone puts their pants on the same way where I come from.

The following rant is based on my limited experience and I am curious to know if others have witnessed a similar trend....maybe I just lucked out :D

When it comes to PA education, there seems to be a push (at least at the institution I graduated from) for all of the faculty to have a "Doctorate." I find this ridiculous from the simple fact the AAPA's position is that the Master's degree is the terminal degree for PA's. At the school I attended some of the best faculty are losing interest and others ahve quit because of this nauseating trend.......some of whom received their post-grad Master's degree from Nebraska (for you EMED :D ).

It's even worse when you see the attitude that is expressed by some of these folks with their DHsc or EdD......"Well, I'm Dr. so and so and I'm here to tell you........" Blah blah blah.

And then once some of these people get into such high levels of administration I have seen a couple of disturbing trends: 1 They practice infrquently if at all 2. They start to feel threated by the faculty members around them who actually do practice and are on top of their game.

Not this certainly isn't everyone and I don't want to give the impression that having such a degree places you in this catergory. If you want to obtain further education, by all means more power to you and kudos to you......but if the only motivation is to climb up the academic ladder than I think it is BS.....the simple fact is that being a Doctorate or Professor doesn't make you are a teacher by default.....there is a big difference between eduactor and teacher, in my humble opinion. And this is as much the institutions fault as anything else.

I don't care what title you have after your name, it doesn't mean you can put an IV in, recognize a cardiac emergency or properly diagnose tinea cruris for that matter............

I've found that the distance MPAS has been a good tool for expanding on one aspect of my current practice. I recommend it for any PAs who 1) are interested in some didactic work of this nature, and 2) can get someone else (employer!) to foot the bill.

AndersenPA

currently enrolled, UNMC Distance MPAS

PS was re-reading this thread and thought this should be updated, from OHSU's website. Old news, but here it is:

The Online Master's Degree Completion Program will cease to enroll students after Fall 2006. Classes will be offered and fully supported through Fall 2008, allowing matriculants ample time to complete the program.

Just want to make something clear to those interested in pursuing additional degrees.

When in the trenches I would take a Navy corpsmen over any degree any day.

And finally,

Beware of those who put more than three initials after their name.

• 9 months later...
Guest dew23

Hi, I am looking for programs to enroll this year, so I would be starting to study next year.

I do not have all the prerequisite courses I would need to apply to all the master's programs I am interested in. In order to increase my chances to get admitted, I was thinking in applying not only to Master's programs, but also bachelor's and certificate programs.

Once one have the certificate as a PA until what level the program you chose (master's, certificate, bachelor's) determine your job placement?

I really need some advice! :(

I was thinking in applying not only to Master's programs, but also bachelor's and certificate programs.

Why not AS PA programs, as well?

Once one have the certificate as a PA until what level the program you chose (master's, certificate, bachelor's) determine your job placement?

What are you asking? Does degree play a role in getting a job? If so then it is more a geographic thing. PA Degrees play a greater role east of the Rocky mountains...lol

LesH

Guest dew23

Right now I have a bachelor's in Biology overseas. I WANT TO START studying at least next year. I don't have all the prerequisites they usually ask for master's degrees, but I could get enroll in other kind of PA programs.

On the other hand, if earning a master's would really make a difference in the marketplace/payment I will wait until I get my prerequisites and apply on 2009, otherwise, I will just get the PA through a different program. That is my dilemma

• 4 months later...

I did the st francis online masters program in cooperation with my pa school (red rocks community college). I believe st francis has agreements with several pa programs. I thought the program was doable while completing the clinical year of pa school.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WOW!

Please let this Thread keep going!

I plan to jump into the Univ or Nebraska program to get it on the C.V. sooner than later. Seems like back-tracking, but I am working on my Marriage and Family Degree requirements at the same time. Master's Plus Master's with a subspecialty in Chemical Dependency Counseling.

The program I have been looking at is ...uh, (study burnout happening, here)...ATT University. They have been calling lately. ATT goes to a new "PhD level" in PA Medicine.

Cuz, why would they do that?

Been googling "NP" lately?

NP PhD programs are popping up everywhere...so it's not just PAs! ATT will take the Univ. o Nebraska Master's for entrance to their PhD level studies. Being a professional student and working professional, is it the wave of the future?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

In the future the credibility of advanced degrees especially online ones is going to increase. To be honest, I look at the Univ of Nebraska Masters degree and I associate it with laziness. I totally agree that all PA schooling is at the Masters level, however, I have always said be skepticle of the person that puts more than the PA-C after their name. No offense intended I am just giving you my honest opinion.

In the future the credibility of advanced degrees especially online ones is going to increase. To be honest, I look at the Univ of Nebraska Masters degree and I associate it with laziness. I totally agree that all PA schooling is at the Masters level, however, I have always said be skepticle of the person that puts more than the PA-C after their name. No offense intended I am just giving you my honest opinion.

I’m going to give you another perspective on the U. of Nebraska program. After contemplating doing the program for many, many years . . . I’ve decided to do in the next few months.

I totally agree with you that if you compare it to a real, on-campus, masters program, it is soft. However, I truly feel that I “earned” my masters many years ago but need some way to show it on paper now, and I believe it is for people like me that the program was designed.

What I mean, is that, like many PAs in the 70s and 80s, I graduated with my BS with honors. Then it took 4 arduous years to become a PA. I had to work for two years in surgery (where I learned a huge amount about medicine) before I could apply to PA school. Even though I was only an OR aid, every resident and surgeon knew that I was trying to get into PA school and every chance I had, they let me scrub in on cases and “second” assist, just so I could learn.

Next came the 27 continuous months of PA school, which that culminated with only a certificate.:( During those four years, I had two roommates David and Tom. David was in a masters program for mathematics and Tom was in a PhD program in biochemistry. My course, including the difficult years of clinical rotations, exceeded the effort they were putting into their programs and they were the first to point that out. On top of that, I spent a year an the “Intensive Arabic Graduate Program” at the American University in Cairo, and that education experience was the closes I think I ever came to death (from mental exhaustion—far more difficult than PA school) . . . but still earned only another certificate.

The U. of Kentucky could not give more than a certificate, as many PA programs in those days, because of political reasons. Dr. Wilson, who headed our program, said they had applied many times for a Masters degree . . . however the loudest protest came from the UK medical school. The attitude of the medical school was that there could be no such thing as a BS, and certainly not a Masters in medicine. It would somehow, in their opinion, downgrade the Medical Doctorate.

The exact same program, which I attended, now gives a master’s degree. I’ve spoken to them about the possibility of a previous graduate, such as myself, being grandfathered in or paying some fee to receive the masters. They say it could never happen for a variety of reason.

So, I do not see the U of Nebraska Masters degree as some new step up, but only doing the typical work and learning I do all the time anyway, but, giving me on paper the credit that I earned a long time ago. I want to pay the least I have to for a program, because, I am now supporting four children in college, one in a PhD program . . . and it is very expensive.:eek: All my married life I have put my wife and children first. If I had to pay more than 3-4K for a Masters degree, I would put it off again . . . until at least some of my kids are out of school.

As far as why get a Masters degree, well, it is all professional and political. I’ve already had job interviews in the past where they made an issue that I did not have a Masters. I have also taught in a PA program and an NP program, and I have some ambitions of doing something like that in the future (overseas clinical rotation preceptor) and I think a Masters will be mandatory. The other professional reason is that I am now in a position of leadership in two national organizations that also involve NPs. The NPs (ad nauseum) bring of the fact that they have Masters or doctorates . . . giving the impression that somehow they are superior to PAs in clinical skills.

I also agree with you about the letters after PA-C. If I had my Masters, PhD I would probably not use those letters except in those situations (as mentioned above) where I think they matter. The NPs (with their alphabet soup after their names) looks quite silly.:rolleyes:

Mike, PA-C, BS, C.A. Cert, عربى

Cert :D

Archived