Degree Completion Program List

Yesterday... I was asked about "No-Hassle" Bachelors and Masters Degree Completion Programs. I began naming a few, but when asked to critique them... I was clueless.

So...

Let's start a list of ALL of the Bachelors & Masters Degree completion programs that a practicing PA-C can enroll in...

I'm especially interested in the programs that you guys/gals are enrolled in or have completed... Pros/Cons... general critique of program... average time to complete... cost to complete... workload... accelerated completion..."Hassle/No-Hassle"...etc.

DocNusum

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've looked up some a few months back. The cost may have changed, but

1. AT Still University $10,000

2. Drexel $18,500

3. Emory University $17,404

4. Oregon Health and Science Center

5. University of Nebraska $3,000

Just an FYI: I was discussing degree completion programs with one of my instructors and she said that if you ever plan on going into education that she is aware of several [PA] schools who do not like the Nebraska program and you can't get a teaching job with it. I don't know if this just applies to Nebraska or refering to all the online completion programs in general, but she specifically said Nebraska.

ATSU is pricey, but it offers a Bachelor's Equivalency option:

"

The Arizona School of Health Sciences (ASHS) Advanced PA Program faculty recognizes that many PAs graduated from associate or certificate PA programs and may demonstrate greater educational accomplishment than their awarded degree or certificate represents.

The North Central Accreditation (NCA) standards allow for admission to graduate programs, such as the Advanced PA Program, without a bachelor’s degree by demonstrating that the student has adequate educational preparation to complete a graduate program.

We believe that prior undergraduate experience; professional education and postgraduate medical education (CME) can satisfy this requirement. The admissions committee of the ASHS Advanced PA Program will evaluate all applicants individually on their own merit to determine preparation for the rigors of our graduate program."

It doesn't offer the variety of specialties that Nebraska does, but it does offer forensic medicine... kinda cool :p

Just an FYI: I was discussing degree completion programs with one of my instructors and she said that if you ever plan on going into education that she is aware of several [PA] schools who do not like the Nebraska program and you can't get a teaching job with it. I don't know if this just applies to Nebraska or refering to all the online completion programs in general, but she specifically said Nebraska.

I wonder if that is her bias, or the preference of a handful of schools... our former PD, now the Dean of ASHS, is a Nebraska grad. He's also on the state regulatory board, the board of directors of ACC & PA History Society, and on AAPA committees. Pretty well-connected for someone whose education isn't respected... or maybe he's just overcome his 'handicap' ;)

These are unbelievable figures

Yale

Tuition $25,220 $25,220

Total Budget $47,455 $49,610 (Including Room and Board)

Saint Louis University

Tuition $58,000

DUKE

First Year

$24,996 divided into three equal installments.

Second Year

$24,996 divided into three equal installments.

Plus about $3000/ year student health fee, health insurance and computer fee.

EMORY

Tuition/Fees Total (both years)

$42,320

Plus other expenses $13,000 (without room and board)

ROSALIND FRANKLIN

Tuition: $19,728/year (subject to change without advance notice)

Books and Supplies: $2198.00 (estimate)/year

Total Budget $40,000/year (including room and board)

University of Alabama at Birmingham

Tuition and fees (both years) $47,000

CORNELL

Tuition

Tuition for the 2005-2006 academic year is currently 12,828.

Plus

Graduation Fee: $300.00

Student Disability: $75.00

Lodging: $9,000.00

Food: $3,897.00

Books, Supplies & Equipment: $3,000.00

Personal: $1,854.00

Transportation: $1,170.00

Health Insurance (est.): $4,048.00

Loan Origination Fees: 3% on Federal Loans

PHILADELPHIA UNIVERSITY

Tuition for the 2005-2006 school year is $25,434 .

The typical student in the Physician Assistant Program will spend approximately $3,000 on medical equipment, books, malpractice liability insurance, and other program-related fees for both Professional Phase years combined. This does not include housing, food, living expenses, travel costs, health center fees, graduation fees and Pre-Professional Phase book costs.

DESALES UNIVERSITY

Tuition and fees (both years) $47000

MARYWOOD

Both years $56,000 plus fees (you do get some scholarship for both the years though)

GOOD LUCK

hpa

Smells Like...

Money making enterprises...

Can someone say... DEGREE INFLATION...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Since we all know that a Practicing PA-C won't get any "practice enhancement" upon graduation from these programs...

(meaning... they don't make you recognize and treat pathology any better after you complete the program).

DocNusum

Please keep em coming...

2. Drexel $18,500

I know several program directors with graduate degrees from nebraska so I don't think it is much of an issue. my mpas is from there(in clinical emergency medicine) and when I interviewed for my current job this was actually a point that advanced me to getting hired over other applicants without an mpas in em.

E...

You were hired by the "old school." Keep your job.

Start looking for a job 5-7 years from now when the "kids" that got accepted to PA school without ANY healthcare experience... who think a Masters makes you a "good" competent provider have a say so in hiring.

Just think ahead...

When the masters become the "entry level" degree...

Where you got your masters... will matter...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID... :eek:

DocNusum

Btw...

The East coast is where the highschool to PA in 5 years started...so they REALLY believe in this $hit.:(

And if I remember correctly... you want to move there to settle down a bit...

Ok... try these:

Anne Arundel Community College, MD; $17,500 total (2 years), $22,500 including a master's degree.

Malcolm-X College, IL: approximately $5,000 total (2 years).

Methodist College, NC; approximately $8,000 total (2 years).

Red Rocks Community College, CO; $24,000 total.

Cuyahoga Community College, OH; $7,600 (county), $9,100 (state), $16,000 (all others)

Wanting a PA degree from a big name institution... moronic!

LAR

Practicing PA's seeking a bachelors or masters, because they only have an assoc in PA???

yes, docnusum was talking about postgrad degrees that are obtained while working at a full time job. most of these are distance learning/online style.

docn- 5-7 years from now I want to be working in the uk doing em....10 yrs from now I want to be in some little rural low volume/high acuity er in maine/vermont/new hampshire working solo. that kind of place respects "old school training" and knowledge base and won't care where my degree is from but will care that I have almost 30 yrs of em experience at that point.

docn- 5-7 years from now I want to be working in the uk doing em....10 yrs from now I want to be in some little rural low volume/high acuity er in maine/vermont/new hampshire working solo. that kind of place respects "old school training" and knowledge base and won't care where my degree is from but will care that I have almost 30 yrs of em experience at that point.

...And then you will be as old as Davis! Teehee, couldn't resist. Forgive the jab gentlemen, you know I love ya both....:D

...And then you will be as old as Davis! Teehee, couldn't resist. Forgive the jab gentlemen, you know I love ya both....:D

if you meant I will be as wise, compassionate and erudite as davis then I will assume that was a compliment and hope to live up to that mark someday.....:)

2. Drexel $18,500

I too was given the very same advice about Nebraska

OHSU costs about $6500 by the way

Laramos...

This thread is about practicing PA-Cs seeking a bachelors or masters degree.

Then, it is a no brainer... the Nebraska program beats them all. I know that some people (elitists) do not like this program. When there is harsh opposition to something, always follow the money trail.

The APAP (now called the PAEA) Degree Task Force of 2000 recognized that PA education, regardless of were it is taught, is considered to be at a master's level. For those of you that put down the Nebraska program, let me explain something... they are only awarding practicing PAs without a degree what they deserved from the beginning!

Some big named institutions, when they switched to a master's from a bachelor's, offered their graduates a master's degree under some form of grandfathering clause. Unfortunately, and for financial gain (although they will deny this, of course), they charge their graduates ridiculous fees and make them take additional courses to justify the cost for the degree (I am sure that they can come up with what will appear to be reasonable excuses for this).

Unless you are planning on working in academia (although not all of them require and academic degree) or are in pursue of a doctorate degree (that requires an academic master's degree), it makes absolutely no difference what program you go to. For those smart enough to know better, and ignore the elitists among us, the Nebraska program is not only the most commonsensical but also the best choice.

LAR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yup- look in north carolina, texas( specifically bowie memorial hospital-solo em pa coverage), maine( many sites but check out blue hills hospital- er run entirely by pa's), vermont, new hampshire, arizona, montana, the dakotas for most of them. also the pa em jobs in the uk are REALLY GOOD. just spoke with an american em pa over there. he said they basically treat him like a senior em resident. he has interns and med students who report to him. he runs codes, puts in chest tubes and central lines, etc...

Archived