Locum tenens...new grad?

Hello. I am in a situation I never wanted to be in. I am a new grad and nearly a year out from graduation with only a month of experience as a PA. The job wasn't a good fit for me. My employer told me she'd train me but then put me with another new grad PA (in a very high risk field). But now I am having a very hard time getting any employer to give me a chance given my lack of experience. I've asked for feedback, and I was told someone with more experience edged me out. Other employers just never respond to me. I did get one offer, but it was a solo provider situation with many red flags and poor benefits. I've also been looking all over the country. Now...I know locum tenens are often not ideal for a new grad, but I am deserately in need of experience and an income...ASAP. There have to be some locums tenens that would be ok for a new grad, right? I don't know what else to do.

Advice?

Locums gigs expect you to be able to walk in the door, find the bathrooms and coffee pot, and then start seeing patients without bothering the other docs.  Not a job for a new grad unless you have significant prior experience (ie: paramedic, independent duty corpsman, FMF corpsman, etc).  Otherwise it is a setup for failure.

You say you're looking "all over the country"....really?  There are LOTS of rural health centers that need providers.  Look at rural wyoming, idaho, oklahoma...there are lots of jobs.  

Locums is not a good fit for a recent grad that needs mentoring and has had one month of experience since graduating a year ago. That said, there are a lot of jobs out there listed as locums that are more of a 'temp to perm' position. One of these could be a good fit. Look at companies like comphealth, delta, vista staffing, and some of the other big guys. Their recruiters will find you something.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Locums gigs expect you to be able to walk in the door, find the bathrooms and coffee pot, and then start seeing patients without bothering the other docs.  Not a job for a new grad unless you have significant prior experience (ie: paramedic, independent duty corpsman, FMF corpsman, etc).  Otherwise it is a setup for failure.

You say you're looking "all over the country"....really?  There are LOTS of rural health centers that need providers.  Look at rural wyoming, idaho, oklahoma...there are lots of jobs.  

I wouldn't even recommend it for a new grad with significant prior medical experience.  I think you need some time as PA doing PA things before going into locums.

I wouldn't even recommend it for a new grad with significant prior medical experience. I think you need some time as PA doing PA things before going into locums.

I'm not going to totally disagree with you, but I think if one has significant critical decision making experience and good medical experience you can do it (cause I did, and I ain't the brightest cookie in the toolbox).

An experienced paramedic, or an FMF or IDC corpsman, could step into a rural ED right after PA school.

Have you looked in AZ?! My urgent care would probably hire you! They have a great new grad program. While I don't love urgent care at this very moment I'm kinda burned out its given me a lot of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're a year out, have only worked one month, and now you are unemployed?  You really need to get a job ASAP and stick with it.  You are on the border of where some states would not want you practicing without some documented remediation.  Is there a free clinic you can volunteer at in the meantime?  I'll reiterate what others have said, which is locum tenens is not for new grads. 

Archived