Living in a van down by the river...during rotations

I'm a whitewater kayaker and hiker in the pacific northwest, so this isn't out of my realm of possibility.  My wife is home so paying rent on another apartment I will spend very little time in sounds ridiculous.  

There are a few of my classmates planning on doing this most of the year.  I am currently in the process of finding a van and outfitting it.    

I have the bathroom and shower situation already figured out.

Have others done this during rotations?  Vans? RVs? Campers?

What recommendations do you have?

I'm planning to spend a few nights in a truck shell down by the school myself. I live in the mountains and don't plan to move for school (because it's expensive and I have a very strong dislike for city life)... So my Tundra will likely be home away from home at times. I figure it'll be great for clinicals as well, when the time comes!

Study at the library or coffee shops, sleep in the truck, shower at the gym! A life of luxury!

lanime - I'm in the Seattle class ahead of you. Keep in touch and I'll let you know how it works out. 

Dirtbaggin PA-S, I can live with that.  

As long as I don't look like I'm a dirt bag kayaker in clinicals I should be ok...no offense to dirt bagging kayakers. 

• 6 months later...

I'm late to this post, but I am a single female living in a travel trailer during PA school in a warm southern state. I live in 147 sq ft and can say that this is the absolute best decision I could have made. It does have some drawbacks (7 minute hot shower, wait 20 mins for more hot water), but I am in a park with older neighbors, its the perfect study environment. And its mine. No neighbors above or below, no bland apartment that I can't personalize without paying a fine. I can do wth I want to do when I want to do it. It is a fraction of the cost of what I would pay in rental or apartment. I loves it. Propane or electric heat when cold, the most wonderful AC unit when its hot. boom. PA Barbie comes with her own travel trailer! And if you have to move around for rotations, you move. I haven't had to do that yet, but that was one of the major motivators for choosing this lifestyle.

I was talking to my wife about this. I think we would totally do it if we didn't have kids (2) . I am not too fond of having the kids with us in a travel home in an RV park. I would be interested if anybody else has done that but I feel like the kids need some private space to run around and the like, i.e. a backyard. Anyways.

Somehow I'm only traveling during 1 rotation...don't know how that happened.  I did buy a van, but set it up for kayaking/camping rather than a true living situation.  We needed the 2nd car anyway. 

Several classmates are living out of RV's and vans, so far from them it has been a huge success.   Cheaper and more mobile.  

It does take a certain type of personality to pull it off.  The majority of people in my class are from the PNW, very acclimatized to outdoor activities and would use the vehicles well past clinical rotations for recreation.  

One thing I am realizing now is that I damn well sure should have done this during the entirety of school.  I attended an expensive school in a warm tourist area with a high cost of living, and I was essentially single as the kids are with their mother.  It was a slam dunk decision, or should have been anyway.  I even had money to buy something outright at the time.  School took care of that!  

Would have saved me multiple tens of thousands of dollars, no exaggeration.  I guess with all the moving parts (more than most) I did not think it through well enough.  I liked my comfortable apartment, but it really hurt me financially.

If I had to do this again - trailer with dual cab truck, house stuff disposed of and/or in storage, fill up the vehicles with essential clothes and such for the 2.5 years and head for a quiet RV resort for $~500 a month plus electric.  Slam DUNK.

Would be great for locums jobs as well!

I pay around 390-400 a month depending on electricity. that includes water and trash pickup. Is it a sacrifice? maybe. But it's one that has allowed me to pay my egregious health insurance and high cost meds while in PA school. My place is tiny but it doesn't lack anything an apartment has, except for washer/dryer hookup... a shed out back is going to take care of that soon with a combo washer/dryer. I feel blessed every day that I can walk up in this piece and know its mine, a feeling I have never experienced before. I'm sure homeowners must feel the same way, but I don't have a mortgage. And honestly, the more I think about it and my breathtaking debt from this, my second master's degree, the less likely it is I will be leaving my cozy little shack any time soon. I may do this until all my debt is paid off... I want to work in rural America anyway - as long as I can find a nice SAFE park, like the one I am in now, I think this is a lifestyle I am wont to maintain. Maybe(definitely) I'm a little nuts, or maybe a little nomadic, but imagine all the fun locum work I can do without having to sublet or do short term leases! #trailerparklife ;)

Archived