veterans not accepted to medex?

• 1 month later...

Veteran here, and applying for the first time.

I am sure there are many veterans who were not accepted into the program. Like any area, community, or group, there are good apples and bad apples. Making you a veteran does not, in any way, ensure that you will be accepted to PA school. Even MEDEX who takes pride in their military heritage.

I am sure there are many veterans who were not accepted into the program. Like any area, community, or group, there are good apples and bad apples. Making you a veteran does not, in any way, ensure that you will be accepted to PA school. Even MEDEX who takes pride in their military heritage.

Navy Corpsman? 8404?

When were you in? Where were you stationed?

Me: 2008-2013

Okinawa 3rd Med Bat

4th Marine Regiment, 3rd Mar div. (deployed to Afgh 2009-2010 on embedded training team)

Yuma, AZ Marine Corps Air Station.

Nice to meet you.

Greg

I was also in 07/2008-2013. My first duty station was Balboa then went to 1st med bn camp pendleton for about 2 weeks then got tasked out to CLB 11 haha. Deployed on a meu. Been working as a medical assistant since I got out. What have you been up to? 

Michael

I was also in 07/2008-2013. My first duty station was Balboa then went to 1st med bn camp pendleton for about 2 weeks then got tasked out to CLB 11 haha. Deployed on a meu. Been working as a medical assistant since I got out. What have you been up to? 

Michael

Went back to school, became a laboratory technologist, and currently work in a small hospital laboratory. 

Got accepted to another school in the east, but am holding out for MEDEX, OHSU, or U of Utah. 

This is exactly it.  You still have to be a good PA school applicant and all that that entails.

Glad to see some responses came up. I fully understand that any has to be the the "total package" if you will when applying to PA school. I was Army Infantry 07-13, however was able to get some medical experience out of all that. Been primarily in the mental health/substance abuse field since I got out. Corpsman89, what school were you excepted to out on the east coast if I might ask, you already interviewed?

• 2 months later...

Don't let your veteran status put a chip on your shoulder. MEDEX does have a larger than average population of veterans in their classes *most* years. I'm currently a 2nd year student. Was also an 8404. AD 2004-2012. 

NavHosp Bremerton 04-06 (with an OIF dep in 05-06) terminated shore duty at the end of 06, spent the rest of my time at 1st Marine Division, did two more deployments there 1 OIF 1 OEF (ETT for half, and 3/1 the other half without leaving country)

Just be humble. Thats the best trait to ensure you make a good candidate and provider. Remember you got really good experience, but honestly none of your past profession matters on your journey to be a PA. Certain aspects you bring with you will make you a better provider. But being a veteran doesn't entitle you to any extrinsic special favors. Being a veteran should of given you a bunch of intrinsic special favors. Hang on to those, be humble and keep your ruck on, one step in front of the other. 

Archived