Cost of Attendance

In terms of dream programs, Duke's program-for multiple reasons- has been at the top of my list for several years. My state program here in New Mexico, being attached to our SOM, has received good feedback from my wife and her 15 classmates (very small program) in relation to the programs's professors and their knowledge and helpfullness, and at a fraction of the cost seems like the clear and reasonable choice. However, I can't help but think of Duke, and feel I should at least give it a stab. My question to all of you current students is this: is the order of magnitude difference between my state school and Duke univeristy's cost of attendance justifiable in terms of quality of education? I know this is a highly subjective question, and I'm not here to denounce one program over the other, I'm just curious if my learning experience will have a linear relationship with the rise of COA?

Many thanks!

Sorry you got no reply. But the ultimate choice is yours. The average Duke PA student was about 100,000 in debt last year. But on the other hand their first time PANCE pass rate is the highest in the country (a DIRECT relation to how well Duke educates their students). Duke students are afforded amazing opportunities seeing as Duke is where the PA profession began, but it does not come cheap. The choice is yours. Are you willing to make the financial sacrifice? No one can really give you that answer, all I can say is the last thing I worried about was finances. There are so many loan repayment programs and your starting salary is about 80,000 / year according to the recent census, therefore, you should have the money to make payments. In the end as soon as I stepped foot on the DPAP campus I knew it was where I wanted to be, hands down. You will get that feeling too, try and visit to really get a good idea as to what you are getting into. Good luck!

I think TRD hit the nail on the head- on all points! There is always the easy (indecisive) method. Apply. If you get invited to interview you can check it out, and if accepted you have the choice. If not accepted, then you can rule it out. I'm not sure if you are applying this year or not, but there is an open house on Saturday, March 10 if you want to visit Durham and the program. I know it's a bit of a trip, but could be a fun east-coast visit; we are only 4 hours from the beach and 4 hours from the mountains!

Thanks for the reply Loves! I was actually contemplating the open house. I've had the opportunity to visit Durham several times, and a dear friend of mine-who works at the medical center- was kind enough to show me around the campus a few times. Still, I love the area and the campus, so another visit isn't a bad thing :)

I've talked with my wife extensively about this, and we've decided I really have no choice but to give it a go; I have an immense desire to become the most knowledgable,understanding,caring,and the most giving PA I can, and I feel there are few programs in the nation that can not only foster this desire, but help me turn this desire into a reality. Duke, in my opinion, being chief among them.

Hi, I am so glad you're coming to an Open House. That really helped to make the decision for me (moving from IL). It is difficult to tell you if the cost of attendance is fair because of course we've only gone to this program. I definitely feel excited that I am getting a great variety of experience and expertise from great faculty, however, I would venture to guess that most people feel that way about their program. Some ancillary considerations for me where: since PAs are so well known here there is a great opportunity to network and there are alot of established organizations to support PA interests. I encourage you to also think about where you will practice after you're done with school....sometimes that helps make the decision too. Hope this is somewhat useful, see you at the Open House.

Hi, I am so glad you're coming to an Open House. That really helped to make the decision for me (moving from IL). It is difficult to tell you if the cost of attendance is fair because of course we've only gone to this program. I definitely feel excited that I am getting a great variety of experience and expertise from great faculty, however, I would venture to guess that most people feel that way about their program. Some ancillary considerations for me where: since PAs are so well known here there is a great opportunity to network and there are alot of established organizations to support PA interests. I encourage you to also think about where you will practice after you're done with school....sometimes that helps make the decision too. Hope this is somewhat useful, see you at the Open House.

I appreciate you taking some of your time to reply, mjohnson! I've heard multiple times that attending the open house really sealed the deal for people, so I'm excited to see if I come away with the same feeling! Your ancillary consideration is actually a great one. I'm considering Duke in great part because of the support system that's in place: a support system that will hopefully assist me in building a solid foundation for a rewarding career. Not only outside support but internally from my future classmates as well. I want to surround myself with people who are passionate for the profession in every way, as a means for support, and I get the feeling anyway (correct me if this is too idealistic) that I can achieve this at Duke more readily than just about any other program. I want to ensure an environment that allows me to grow both as a person, and as a professional.

The more I think about this, the more I appreciate TRD's post : if Duke will allow me, as I just mentioned, to grow and build a solid foundation more readily and more completely than other programs then the money spent to achieve this is really of no consequence. I am willing to make the sacrifice.

I appreciate you taking some of your time to reply, mjohnson! I've heard multiple times that attending the open house really sealed the deal for people, so I'm excited to see if I come away with the same feeling! Your ancillary consideration is actually a great one. I'm considering Duke in great part because of the support system that's in place: a support system that will hopefully assist me in building a solid foundation for a rewarding career. Not only outside support but internally from my future classmates as well. I want to surround myself with people who are passionate for the profession in every way, as a means for support, and I get the feeling anyway (correct me if this is too idealistic) that I can achieve this at Duke more readily than just about any other program. I want to ensure an environment that allows me to grow both as a person, and as a professional.

The more I think about this, the more I appreciate TRD's post : if Duke will allow me, as I just mentioned, to grow and build a solid foundation more readily and more completely than other programs then the money spent to achieve this is really of no consequence. I am willing to make the sacrifice.

I appreciate your input Tao, this is something that weighs on my mind as well. My wife is on track to take out under 30K for her entire program, and she's completely satisfied with her education thus far. I'm definitely going to apply to the state schools, including my own, in my neck of the woods, with Duke being the only private, long distance exception. If I can feel assured that adding a zero to the end of my COA will ensure the things I've talked about, I'm ready to make the sacrifice. However, if through attending the open house, and interview process (assuming I make it that far) I'm not made sure Duke is the right school for me, I'll readily attend the state schools I'm considering (once again, assuming I get accepted) A savings of 70-90K is not something I'll readily dismiss.

I appreciate your input Tao, this is something that weighs on my mind as well. My wife is on track to take out under 30K for her entire program, and she's completely satisfied with her education thus far. I'm definitely going to apply to the state schools, including my own, in my neck of the woods, with Duke being the only private, long distance exception. If I can feel assured that adding a zero to the end of my COA will ensure the things I've talked about, I'm ready to make the sacrifice. However, if through attending the open house, and interview process (assuming I make it that far) I'm not made sure Duke is the right school for me, I'll readily attend the state schools I'm considering (once again, assuming I get accepted) A savings of 70-90K is not something I'll readily dismiss.

I don't know if you've considered the National Heath Service Corps scholarship, and of course it's not guaranteed, but if you were willing to spend two years in an under-served area, you could attend Duke AND have a down payment for a house... The Air Force also came to recruit us and they have a pretty sweet deal if you are open to serving in the military. Neither worked for my situation, but I know at least one person on this forum could tell you more about the NHSC scholarship, and here is the link: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/ We have 4 scholars in the class of 2013. Oh- and there might be another opportunity if you want to do rural primary care in NC that will pay a nice chunk of tuition. Did they mention that at your interview Tao? They might talk about it at the open house...

I don't know if you've considered the National Heath Service Corps scholarship, and of course it's not guaranteed, but if you were willing to spend two years in an under-served area, you could attend Duke AND have a down payment for a house... The Air Force also came to recruit us and they have a pretty sweet deal if you are open to serving in the military. Neither worked for my situation, but I know at least one person on this forum could tell you more about the NHSC scholarship, and here is the link: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/ We have 4 scholars in the class of 2013. Oh- and there might be another opportunity if you want to do rural primary care in NC that will pay a nice chunk of tuition. Did they mention that at your interview Tao? They might talk about it at the open house...

Yea, they talked about the NC rural primary care deal at the interview. It is only about 6k a year and it limits your job choices so much I can't imagine how it would ever be worth it. NHSC however is a great option if you don't care where you end up. I personally would only do the loan forgiveness (as opposed to the scholarship) as you can find out where your going before you accept the loan forgiveness. From what I hear they pretty much own you with the scholarship.....

Yea, they talked about the NC rural primary care deal at the interview. It is only about 6k a year and it limits your job choices so much I can't imagine how it would ever be worth it. NHSC however is a great option if you don't care where you end up. I personally would only do the loan forgiveness (as opposed to the scholarship) as you can find out where your going before you accept the loan forgiveness. From what I hear they pretty much own you with the scholarship.....

NHSC doesn't force you to go to any specific place. You just have to agree to practice in a place that is medically underserved(as defined by the program) for 2 years after you graduate, that can be primary care in a rural location, an inner city free clinic, reservations, prisons, etc. It can be anywhere in the country you choose, and they help you with networking to get you hooked up with people looking to hire in the are you want to live in.

I know the original topic was the COA at Duke, and it seems like you have many tools to help make your decision. It really boils down to where you feel your fit. Best wishes in that process. As far as NHSC, it is an incredible opportunity...I would suggest you apply no matter where you go to school. You've probably already scoured the website, and as an ambassador for the NHSC Scholarship Program I would be happy to answer any questions you have. You're welcome to PM me.

Best Wishes,

Michele

• 1 month later...

If finances are a big issue. Definately go for a state institution. I would have, if the opportunity presented.

There are pro's and cons of attending an institution like Duke, but I have to say that it is a priviledge to have been given lectures and worked with attending physicians in clinic that are the best in their field...worldwide.

Ultimately, Duke will be an expensive choice, but even those of us that grumbled and complained about the ticket price, know that at the end of the day, it is an honour to have been apart of a program that has left a legacy of outstanding clinicians.

If finances are a big issue. Definately go for a state institution. I would have, if the opportunity presented.

There are pro's and cons of attending an institution like Duke, but I have to say that it is a priviledge to have been given lectures and worked with attending physicians in clinic that are the best in their field...worldwide.

Ultimately, Duke will be an expensive choice, but even those of us that grumbled and complained about the ticket price, know that at the end of the day, it is an honour to have been apart of a program that has left a legacy of outstanding clinicians.

Archived