G_dolly

Marist College PA Program 2016-2017 Application Cycle

Hi everyone! I am a current PA student here at Marist College and thought creating this forum would help provide some good insight for those of you who are thinking of applying. I'm hoping some of us current student can chime in and assist those of you that are going through the application/interview process.

This is a wonderful program with AMAZING faculty. I wish you all the best! 

• Upvote 4

Hey there!

I visited the program just before you guys got started and was definitely impressed with the facilities/faculty... Are you aware if they have begun to interview for this cycle yet or when they plan to?

Thanks!

Hello!

I believe they stated they'll start interviews in August, closer to the end of summer :)

Hello! How do you feel as a student with the school being accreditation-provisional? How does this impact you taking the PANCE exam?  

Hello! How do you feel as a student with the school being accreditation-provisional? How does this impact you taking the PANCE exam?  

@kasrose123 Honestly, there is no major different between a provisional-accreditation and a regular accreditation. The highest accreditation any new program can receive is a provisional-accreditation status and this status does not affect you taking the PANCE in any way. I am actually from out of state and after visiting this program I can tell you it has so much more to offer than the other programs I interviewed with! If you are local I suggest you stop by for a tour! You will love it.

Hope that helps! 

Hi everyone! I am a current PA student here at Marist College and thought creating this forum would help provide some good insight for those of you who are thinking of applying. I'm hoping some of us current student can chime in and assist those of you that are going through the application/interview process.

This is a wonderful program with AMAZING faculty. I wish you all the best! 

Hello! I interviewed with the Physician Assistant Graduate program at Marist College on Friday, September 30th. I was impressed by the campus and its many paths/ walkways and grassy fields. It reminded me somewhat of the University of California-Berkeley where I completed my undergrad. The facilities were some of the nicest I've ever seen. For example, the cadaver lab is absolutely pristine and one would think not even in use! By and large, the faculty were what really made the program stand out. Each staff member seemed like they actually wanted to be there. I've participated in interviews where the faculty weren't as inviting or present. The Marist faculty were incredibly down to earth and that was refreshing.

The following Monday I received a phone call from Program Director Kathleen S. Lill regarding acceptance into their program! I'm really looking forward to joining the Physician Assistant Graduate class of 2019. 

QUESTIONS

1. Did you live on campus for the summer?

2. What health insurance do you have?

3. What type of financial aid have you received?

4. Can you recommend study preparation for the first semester?

Thank you so much!!!

Natalie  

Hello! I interviewed with the Physician Assistant Graduate program at Marist College on Friday, September 30th. I was impressed by the campus and its many paths/ walkways and grassy fields. It reminded me somewhat of the University of California-Berkeley where I completed my undergrad. The facilities were some of the nicest I've ever seen. For example, the cadaver lab is absolutely pristine and one would think not even in use! By and large, the faculty were what really made the program stand out. Each staff member seemed like they actually wanted to be there. I've participated in interviews where the faculty weren't as inviting or present. The Marist faculty were incredibly down to earth and that was refreshing.

The following Monday I received a phone call from Program Director Kathleen S. Lill regarding acceptance into their program! I'm really looking forward to joining the Physician Assistant Graduate class of 2019. 

QUESTIONS

1. Did you live on campus for the summer?

2. What health insurance do you have?

3. What type of financial aid have you received?

4. Can you recommend study preparation for the first semester?

Thank you so much!!!

Natalie  

Hello Natalie! Congratulations on your acceptance to MCPAP class of 2019. I think you have made agreat choice and you will definitely enjoy your time at Marist. I am also going to be part of the class of 2019. However, I was originally part of the class of 2018. Due to some academic issues, I am restarting with the next class.

To answer your first question, most of us lived in the dorms that Marist provided for us during the summer semester. They had us vacate the dorms two weeks before the summer term ended. I am not sure what is the plan for next summer, but if you are required to vacant the dorms midway through the semester, you might as well get a more permanent place before the program starts. There is also a newly built, not owned by the university, dormitory/suite-style living facility within walking distance of the PA building. But, more than half of the class of 2018 live in an apartment complex about 4 miles from the campus.

On health insurance, I believe the university has its own health policy for an additional charge unless you are able to provide a proof of your current coverage.

On financial aid, most students used a combination of loan packages that cover not only tuition and (partial) fees, but also living expenses towards renting an apartment. For more info on health insurance and financial aid, you should contact Ms. Tenisha Lane at 845-575-3230 or tenisha.smith@marist.edu. She is responsible for coordinating all the financial issues for PA students.

As far as preparation for the first semester is concerned, I would focus mostly on anatomy and physiology courses. As a suggestion you can start reviewing the flashcards from Netter's Anatomy, BRS (Board Review Series) Physiology, pharmacology flashcards or review book by Lange (Katzung and Trevors), and the Nature of Disease (pathology) review book.

By the way, there is a FB page for the class of 2019. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MCPAPclassof2019/. Be sure to join the page! Plese feel free to ask me questions here on the FB page.

Congrats, once again!

• Upvote 1

Do you think it's too late to apply to this program? I know the deadline is January but as interviews are already starting I'm concerned I'm too late

Of course not! They should have seat for 45+ students for the next cohort. So far on FB, I have only 3 students and there might be another 6-10 students out there who are not on FB. I know this Friday, October 28, they are having another round of interviews. This will be the 3rd round. So, if you think you are all set, then apply as quickly as possible. Most of the deadlines have passed during this month; so CASPA will be less busy. When I applied, I submitted my application on January 6th at 12:26 am and it was verified by CASPA by 12:40 pm next day. I say this to emphasize that all your things are in perfect order, CASPA is capable of verifying applications in less than 24 hours. So, if you submit your application at Marist in next few days, you can score an interview before Christmas. Marist has rolling decision process, meaning you can interview on a Friday and can get an acceptance by following Monday. GOOD LUCK!

Do you think it's too late to apply to this program? I know the deadline is January but as interviews are already starting I'm concerned I'm too late

Please see my response above this one.

I currently am actually! Also, was offered a seat!!

Congratulations! If you have any questions about the program or the area in general, feel free to reach out...

Just got invited to interview next month! Super excited! Anyone else?

Congratulations! When and how were you notified? Via email? How many options did they give you for interview dates?

I have a question...Is it possible with rolling admissions that they could review my complete application, but not make a decision (to either interview or decline) at that time and just kind of...hold onto it for later? Or does that just mean its a rejection...

And does anyone know what day of the week interview invites are sent out? I'm so nervous and yet so excited at the same time! 

Congratulations! When and how were you notified? Via email? How many options did they give you for interview dates?

Thanks! And via email, they gave me two options for dates