Application Cycle 2016 - 2017

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how the public transportation is in Roanoke and the surrounding areas?

Roanoke has a city bus and a trolley.  The trolley mainly runs around downtown Roanoke and between Carillon facilities.  The city bus runs all throughout the town but the hours and availability are pretty limited.  You can look for more information at valleymetro.com at the buses and trolley.  There are also some shuttles that run pretty regularly, in particular the smart way bus between Blacksburg (Virginia Tech) and Roanoke.  Roanoke is the biggest city in south west VA, so its surrounded by smaller counties so these services don't really extend outside of the city.  There may be similar transportation in the next city over in Salem.

In my personal opinion, even though Roanoke isn't a huge city, its not a realistic place for using public transportation/walking/biking everywhere unless you live in the downtown area near the school.  I'd get a car!

I grew up in Roanoke, VA so if you have any more questions about this let me know!

Archived