2016-2017 Cycle

Hey 

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I have an interview pending on February 2. I am coming from West coast. Do you mind giving me more details on like the interview day was, how I can prepare for essay questions, and panel interview?

Thank you!

Sure! So the day was quite long to be honest-- a big part of doing well is mentally preparing for the lengthy day. You start off with essays and they're not something you can really prepare for, just keep your eye on the clock and be sure to manage your time well. After the essays we heard from financial aid and a current faculty member. We then took a tour and that gives you some mental downtime. I snuck in a power bar and water during the tour to make sure I was staying sane, ha! The end of the tour leaves you in the administrative PA building where all applicants eat lunch (and chat with Dr. Auth, the department chair) and we were each called back individually for the interviews. You'll have two interviews, one with a student (which seems less formal) and then with two faculty members (which is formal). The current students will tell you not to worry about the formality of the faculty interview--they're instructed to not react. Some people got called right away, some not until the late afternoon. Even though it was long, I thought this was a great setting to get to know the other applicants (your potential classmates!) and current students (who sit in the room with you). Janet, the Director of Admissions is also in there and provides endless entertainment/answers questions if you have them. All applicants stayed in the conference room until everyone went and we ended around 4:30pm. Hope this helps! Honestly, my best advice is to be yourself. In my (unverified) opinion, they truly take a holistic approach when choosing their class so it's best to just be you!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure! So the day was quite long to be honest-- a big part of doing well is mentally preparing for the lengthy day. You start off with essays and they're not something you can really prepare for, just keep your eye on the clock and be sure to manage your time well. After the essays we heard from financial aid and a current faculty member. We then took a tour and that gives you some mental downtime. I snuck in a power bar and water during the tour to make sure I was staying sane, ha! The end of the tour leaves you in the administrative PA building where all applicants eat lunch (and chat with Dr. Auth, the department chair) and we were each called back individually for the interviews. You'll have two interviews, one with a student (which seems less formal) and then with two faculty members (which is formal). The current students will tell you not to worry about the formality of the faculty interview--they're instructed to not react. Some people got called right away, some not until the late afternoon. Even though it was long, I thought this was a great setting to get to know the other applicants (your potential classmates!) and current students (who sit in the room with you). Janet, the Director of Admissions is also in there and provides endless entertainment/answers questions if you have them. All applicants stayed in the conference room until everyone went and we ended around 4:30pm. Hope this helps! Honestly, my best advice is to be yourself. In my (unverified) opinion, they truly take a holistic approach when choosing their class so it's best to just be you!

Thank you so much for replying!

I love that there is a lot of time to talk to the faculty members and fellow applicants. Were you an in-state or out-of-state applicant? 

Hello all. I am a first-year student in the program doing the part-time option, which means I'll be in the class of 2019. If you've already been admitted and have chosen to attend Drexel please feel free to join the Facebook group ("Drexel University Physician Assistant Class of 2019") and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck to everyone else in the coming months on your interviews! Drexel is a wonderful program :)

Hello, I see that you're a first-year student at Drexel's PA program.  I am wondering what made you choose Drexel over other PA schools when you applied.  Can you enlighten me about their program and how it sets itself apart from other programs?  Do you have gross dissection? Does the program allow you to go out of state for rotations? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you and best of luck moving forward!

I applied last year with around 300 "patient care hours" and 6 outstanding classes yet somehow received an interview (which was shocking!). I re-applied this year with all classes completed, 1300 "patient care hours" and a much improved application overall, but did not receive and interview and just got my rejection email. I genuinely thought that being a repeat applicant with a drastically improved application would almost guarantee at least another interview shot, but I was wrong. It really is a flip of the coin on whether or not one receives and interview to a PA school. My apologies for the slightly negative vibe of this post but I was really hoping to get another shot at Drexel. However, the silver lining is my rejection means someone else gets that shot, good luck to whoever you may be and to the rest of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I would Uber. It is relatively inexpensive. Call ahead! Try to get there early, don't stress yourself out with attempting Philly parking. They love to ticket AND tow. I had a great driver to my interview and it was nice to get my mind off of the interview even if only for 10 minutes. He was older and had some good advice though!

Hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you receive an email from Drexel telling you the class was full or was that from word of mouth? I Interviewed a little over a month ago and still haven't heard anything.

I'm curious about this too, I interviewed in November and haven't heard yet. I also interviewed last cycle (in October) and didn't hear back until March. I know that they typically finalize the class at the end of march/early April.

Did you receive an email from Drexel telling you the class was full or was that from word of mouth? I Interviewed a little over a month ago and still haven't heard anything.

I do not know if they sent anything out to all applicants, but I also interviewed last week and just prior to the interview they did send an email stating the class was officially full and the interview would be placement on the wait-list. 

No it was not word of mouth. About two days before the March 2nd interview Janet from admissions sent out a mass email informing us that we are interviewing for a position on the waitlist and that they had just filled the class. Our group was the last set of interviews and now we have to wait patiently about being placed on the waitlist and/or accepted (if someone drops).

Archived