UTPA 2016-2017 Admissions Cycle

Any of y'all that were accepted care to share your stats?

Standard Format:

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:

Science Undergrad. GPA: 

Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable)

Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable)

GRE: 

Direct Patient Care : (type & hours)

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! Student of Class of 2018 here. Congratulations to everyone accepted so far, and for those who haven't, don't give up hope yet! We had students accepted all the way up until one week before classes started. Please do not create a Facebook group yet. We will do that for you and post the link here soon.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone! Student of Class of 2018 here. Congratulations to everyone accepted so far, and for those who haven't, don't give up hope yet! We had students accepted all the way up until one week before classes started. Please do not create a Facebook group yet. We will do that for you and post the link here soon.

Thanks!

Hi bnava! Thanks for the advise!

Those who get accepted one week before, are they usually waitlisted? Or how does it work?

Have you ever heard of someone not being on the waitlist and still get in?

I did talk to the graduate office yesterday afternoon. They said that they have only sent out some letters, and are having a difficult time going through all of them (several hundred applications) and to expect an answer by no later than next week! It is hard for me to believe that they have sent out all acceptance letters, especially given that they are going to increase their class size this year (65 seats). Keeping my fingers crossed here!

I did talk to the graduate office yesterday afternoon. They said that they have only sent out some letters, and are having a difficult time going through all of them (several hundred applications) and to expect an answer by no later than next week! It is hard for me to believe that they have sent out all acceptance letters, especially given that they are going to increase their class size this year (65 seats). Keeping my fingers crossed here!

Thanks for the update!! I too found it difficult to believe that they already sent out all acceptances given that same reason. I'm also hoping for the best, and keeping my fingers crossed too. What's meant to be will be... :)

Any of y'all that were accepted care to share your stats?

Standard Format:

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:

Science Undergrad. GPA: 

Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable)

Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable)

GRE: 

Direct Patient Care : (type & hours)

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

I actually applied kind of late (Late August)

Cum Undergrad: 3.74

Science Undergrad: 3.56

GRE: 158 Vebal and 154 Quantatative

HCE:

360hrs Periclinical

360hrs CNA

380hrs volunteer/ translator/shadowing (PAs, MDs, NP)

24hrs Shadowing

Doesn't it seem like nobody knows what they are doing at UTRGV? Seriously I called the Graduate College and spoke with an individual who was like I don't know anything about there being more than one batch being sent out and I think they notified all those who were accepted. I asked if there was anyone else I could speak with and she said no they all left to the Graduate Fair. Confused I called the PA Program and spoke with another individual and she was like I don't work here but only half the time but I believe they have finalized their decisions already and have already sent them out but that the Graduate College will be the one we should be receiving this email from. I know I was told last week they had only received a batch from the PA Program and were waiting on the other batch but can anyone confirm that they were told the same? I'm so annoyed and frustrated which I'm sure you all too but I want answers, I want answers for all of us still waiting, something to give us hope.

Doesn't it seem like nobody knows what they are doing at UTRGV? Seriously I called the Graduate Program and spoke with an individual who was like I don't know anything about there being more than one batch being sent out and I think they notified all those who were accepted. I asked if there was anyone else I could speak with and she said no they all left to the Graduate Fair. Confused I called the PA Program and spoke with another individual and she was like I don't work here but only half the time but I believe they have finalized their decisions already and have already sent them out but that the Graduate College will be the one we should be receiving this email from. I know I was told last week they had only received a batch from the PA Program and were waiting on the other batch but can anyone confirm that they were told the same? I'm so annoyed and frustrated which I'm sure you all too but I want answers.

I'm trying to be as patient as I can, but if you look at a previous reply that was posted yesterday, they said that it's difficult because they have to go through so many applications. They also said that we should hear back by no later than next week. On my self-service center, my status is still under review. I think we shouldn't assume anything until we receive official notice of our decision...

@Vanessa28, it's just really frustrating when I read this forum and go through all the post from those who have posted on here and then I call the Graduate College and the PA Program and I hear something different than what's stated on here, it's like at UTRGV they aren't all on the same page or something because it's always different. All we can do is wait, as annoying and frustrating as it is all we can do is wait. I'm really hoping for the best and trying to stay positive, I know we all are, I'm hoping we still have a chance.

@AspiringPA53, I totally get where you're coming from because I feel that way too. They all say different things and I really don't know what to believe anymore, but yet I'm still hopeful. At this point, the email will come when it comes and there's no point in constantly checking because it won't make a difference. My status is still under review as of today, so I guess no news is good news for now...

This might give some insight as to why the program has declining PANCE scores. I would understand if they weren't so specific during the interviews that we would hear back the first week of February. Either way good luck to everyone still waiting!

They said the same thing at my interview... that we would hear back by the 1st week in February. They definitely don't have their stuff together. Even the interview process was poorly organized compared to the other programs I interviewed at (OU and Baylor). Everything about this program has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Congrats to everyone that has gotten in, and good luck... I hope this program gets its act together.

So I called the Graduate College & The PA Program and I was told by both that they have already sent out emails to those who were accepted which was all 65 students. The Graduate Collge stated they don't have a list for those who were waitlisted or rejected only accepted. So I'm confused was it the PA Program who notified to those who were waitlisted? Because according to this forum people have said they received an email that they were waitlisted. I spoke to a woman named Lynn from the Graduate College and asked her if it's safe to assume that we were rejected and she said "yes & no" because they only know who was accepted and haven't received a rejected list and don't know anything about who was waitlisted.

At first, I was reading these posts and if UTRGV is like any other program, they have students who work at the offices on and off, so it makes sense that things may seem like they don't add up... (I'm hoping that's what is going on). 

So I called the Graduate College & The PA Program and I was told by both that they have already sent out emails to those who were accepted which was all 65 students. The Graduate Collge stated they don't have a list for those who were waitlisted or rejected only accepted. So I'm confused was it the PA Program who notified to those who were waitlisted? Because according to this forum people have said they received an email that they were waitlisted. I spoke to a woman named Lynn from the Graduate College and asked her if it's safe to assume that we were rejected and she said "yes & no" because they only know who was accepted and haven't received a rejected list and don't know anything about who was waitlisted.

After reading the above and given that my app is still "Under Review", I'm worried now. If in fact, we should be expecting a "no", then this was a very frustrating waiting process. Some of the students that I spoke to during the interview day mentioned to me that some of them heard back 02/01/16, but other of their classmates heard back in the following two weeks or so. For my own sanity, I will try and hold on to that for hope. I am going to call again and ask the same question to both the Graduate College and the PA Program to see if I get the same answer. Thank you AspiringPA53 for this... Two days ago, their answer to me seemed so hopeful... I was told that batches were being sent out. I will update y'all based on what I hear back soon.

I just got off the phone with someone from the Graduate school, and he said that not all acceptances have gone out, and I was put on hold so he could confirm and give me up-to-date information. He also confirmed that applications are being reviewed in batches, so letters will be sent in batches as well. My status is still under review, and he said to just wait until you receive an email. I don't know why every time we call, they tell us something different, but I choose to believe that not all acceptances have gone out, and I'm still hoping for the best...

I just got off the phone with someone from the Graduate school, and he said that not all acceptances have gone out, and I was put on hold so he could confirm and give me up-to-date information. He also confirmed that applications are being reviewed in batches, so letters will be sent in batches as well. My status is still under review, and he said to just wait until you receive an email. I don't know why every time we call, they tell us something different, but I choose to believe that not all acceptances have gone out, and I'm still hoping for the best...

Thank you for this!!! :) Remaining hopeful...

@Samson's Mom let us know what they tell you. I called 2xs and the first time I was transferred to Lynn, then the second time I called back and they said my name lol, I'm pretty sure they know me already. I'm trying to stay hopeful. @Vanessa28 that sounds like the same gentleman I spoke with last week, wish I knew his name.

Archived