UNTHSC 2016-2017 Admissions Cycle

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Good luck to everyone that got an interview! I'm a current student in the 2019 class, and I absolutely love it. If anyone ever has any questions just shoot away and I"ll answer when I can. I was able to talk to many different students during my application process, and it helped my decision making/transition into PA school a lot. Here for ya if you need it! 

Good luck to everyone that got an interview! I'm a current student in the 2019 class, and I absolutely love it. If anyone ever has any questions just shoot away and I"ll answer when I can. I was able to talk to many different students during my application process, and it helped my decision making/transition into PA school a lot. Here for ya if you need it! 

Hi I have an interview 9/24, and I was wondering why you chose UNT and what you like most about the school since you started attending UNT?

Hi I have an interview 9/24, and I was wondering why you chose UNT and what you like most about the school since you started attending UNT?

There was a lot of life circumstances that factored into me choosing UNT (like the program starting in July when most start in May, the price of the program, longer breaks, longer program, etc.), but the decision was also easy to make based on my experience there during my interview. The facilities are great, I was very impressed (and still am) with the cadaver lab, the OSCE rooms (rooms where you do your medical interviews w/ a fake patient), and the location of the school (it's literally in the heart of Fort Worth and the school has an amazing view of downtown). With all that said, I wasn't over the top excited about coming into UNT, but that changed once school started. The faculty is amazing, the class above us has helped us out tremendously, my classmates are awesome (no competition with one another at all and incredible support system), and it has honestly just been a great experience. My decision in coming here has been solidified again and again that it was the right decision. 

There was a lot of life circumstances that factored into me choosing UNT (like the program starting in July when most start in May, the price of the program, longer breaks, longer program, etc.), but the decision was also easy to make based on my experience there during my interview. The facilities are great, I was very impressed (and still am) with the cadaver lab, the OSCE rooms (rooms where you do your medical interviews w/ a fake patient), and the location of the school (it's literally in the heart of Fort Worth and the school has an amazing view of downtown). With all that said, I wasn't over the top excited about coming into UNT, but that changed once school started. The faculty is amazing, the class above us has helped us out tremendously, my classmates are awesome (no competition with one another at all and incredible support system), and it has honestly just been a great experience. My decision in coming here has been solidified again and again that it was the right decision. 

Thanks for answering. How was the whole interview process, and what kind of questions were you asked? I also know that UNT typically has an essay and group activity, how were those? Any tips on how to prepare? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks for answering. How was the whole interview process, and what kind of questions were you asked? I also know that UNT typically has an essay and group activity, how were those? Any tips on how to prepare? Sorry for all the questions!

No worries at all! So if the interview goes the same as it did last year, it will run like this (these are in a different order for different people): one on one interview with a faculty member, group exercise in which you are presented a topic/issue and asked to individually formulate your answer to that issue and then discuss it as a group, and then you'll have a written essay portion on a prompt. At the end you'll have lunch at assigned tables with faculty at each table to answer questions etc! The one on one interview is dependent on who you get interviewing you... Mine was extremely chill, but I've talked to classmates that said they were asked a ton of questions and what not (one of the funniest/coolest faculty apparently interviews kinda tough). Group exercise is very easy! I believe they are just making sure you can work in a group setting and what not. The writing is also easy, pretty sure they just want to ensure you know how to write... It really isn't stressful at all! Preparing wise, I would read up about the school and what not. Nothing to in depth!

I had to interview with the faculty member that is super awesome, but they interview students very tough. The best advice I can give is to just be yourself. In the group exercise, they are looking to see how you work as a team. This school is VERY big on working together in the classroom and in the clinical setting. Don't worry if you think you are dominant or if you are more laid back. We have some of every type of personality here! Just as long as you are friendly and helpful :) As for the writing, they will give you a super chill topic and you just have to be able to write an organized paper about it. Main thing here: be able to write a topic sentence, intro, body paragraphs and a conclusion. I'm sure they also look for spelling and grammar. One thing that I didn't do was practice my one on one interviewing skills and I really wish I had! Many universities will have programs where you can go in and practice interviewing with people, I know UT Austin did anyways. If you don't have that option, just practice with a friend, relative or coworker so you can get used to the flow of interviewing. Like db702 said, the faculty all have extremely different ways of interviewing, so be prepared to either get the usual questions (why do you want to be a PA, what is a PA) or random questions like about your prior experiences, grades, personal statement, etc. Also be prepared for slower, more relaxed interviews or rapid-fire interviews. I've heard it all, so just be prepared! Congrats on receiving invitations to interview! If you haven't received word back, don't fret yet. I was watching this forum all day every day and I didn't even get an invite to interview until January! If you've received a denial, then try again next year since I know a few of our classmates didn't get in until the second or third application. Just keep trying to improve your app. Good luck to everyone! 

No worries at all! So if the interview goes the same as it did last year, it will run like this (these are in a different order for different people): one on one interview with a faculty member, group exercise in which you are presented a topic/issue and asked to individually formulate your answer to that issue and then discuss it as a group, and then you'll have a written essay portion on a prompt. At the end you'll have lunch at assigned tables with faculty at each table to answer questions etc! The one on one interview is dependent on who you get interviewing you... Mine was extremely chill, but I've talked to classmates that said they were asked a ton of questions and what not (one of the funniest/coolest faculty apparently interviews kinda tough). Group exercise is very easy! I believe they are just making sure you can work in a group setting and what not. The writing is also easy, pretty sure they just want to ensure you know how to write... It really isn't stressful at all! Preparing wise, I would read up about the school and what not. Nothing to in depth!

For those of you who are wondering, this past weekend there was an open house at UNT. At the open house they said that the entire interview process will be changing for this cycle and they are utilizing MMI. I am not sure if they will continue to use an essay or not with their MMI, but the entire interview IS changing, so don't prepare for what is listed above. I wish I had more feedback to give into the entire process. After my interview I will post for some incite into what you can expect. 

For those of you who are wondering, this past weekend there was an open house at UNT. At the open house they said that the entire interview process will be changing for this cycle and they are utilizing MMI. I am not sure if they will continue to use an essay or not with their MMI, but the entire interview IS changing, so don't prepare for what is listed above. I wish I had more feedback to give into the entire process. After my interview I will post for some incite into what you can expect.

This is great news! (For those who like MMI.) Should be interesting to see what they come up with. Thanks for sharing.

Archived