UTSW 2016-2017 Application Cycle

I'm just curious for those who have and/or are interviewing soon, did y'all bring a guest to the meet and greet? I'm unsure if I should bring someone with me or who I should bring. I was thinking either my boyfriend who is one of my biggest supporters or my mom but I didn't know if that was the norm.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just curious for those who have and/or are interviewing soon, did y'all bring a guest to the meet and greet? I'm unsure if I should bring someone with me or who I should bring. I was thinking either my boyfriend who is one of my biggest supporters or my mom but I didn't know if that was the norm.

I brought my boyfriend for extra support, and I don't think it was a super big deal. There were actually quite a few people who brought their significant other and a few people who brought a parent. All the faculty/staff/students are super nice and enjoy meeting you and whoever you decide to bring, so don't worry! 

You are definitely free to bring a guest to the meet and greet! Most people do, and I think it helps in making y'all a little more comfortable in the new environment :) We routinely see people bringing significant others, parents, siblings, friends, so whatever you want to do is totally fine. We did have a little bit of confusion last rounds of interviews so I will just be very blunt about it now, but your guest is NOT supposed to come with you on interview day. Just the meet and greet!

I have a question for those who have already interviewed. Did they make any accommodations for those interviewees who brought their luggage with them on Saturday? I have to fly out right after the interview and would like to know if this is an option. Thanks in advance!

What TXnative said! There's plenty of room to store your luggage in our break room and it's a locked room with a code keypad so you don't have to worry about random people getting into your stuff or anything like that. 

For any current students on the forum, I was wondering about UTSW's policy on out of state students.  I read online they only accept up to 10% out of state.  I am an out of state applicant and this really worries me about my chances.  I was just wondering if this policy was strictly enforced and about how many out of sate students are in current PA classes.  Thanks!

For any current students on the forum, I was wondering about UTSW's policy on out of state students. I read online they only accept up to 10% out of state. I am an out of state applicant and this really worries me about my chances. I was just wondering if this policy was strictly enforced and about how many out of sate students are in current PA classes. Thanks!

I believe it is State Law so it will be strictly enforced.

Side note, congrats to everyone that interviewed today!

To the current students, where do most people stay for housing? 

We do have the "on-campus" housing but to be honest, I don't think anyone in my class actually lives there because the wait list is so long! Most people live within a 5-10 minute driving radius around campus and there are TONS of apartment complexes. There's also a handful of people who live in Las Colinas and that's about a 15 minute drive for slightly cheaper rent. Parking is actually only $10/month so it's definitely doable. It's really just up to you and how much you're willing to drive! 

For any current students on the forum, I was wondering about UTSW's policy on out of state students.  I read online they only accept up to 10% out of state.  I am an out of state applicant and this really worries me about my chances.  I was just wondering if this policy was strictly enforced and about how many out of sate students are in current PA classes.  Thanks!

I believe it is State Law so it will be strictly enforced.

Side note, congrats to everyone that interviewed today!

Yep, it's state law, so the school has to abide to it in order to get state funding. I think there are only 1-2 people in my class who are "true" out-of-state students, but there are a good amount that went to college out of state and for whatever reason (parents, jobs, etc) have lived in Texas long enough to not be counted into the 10%. Also I think UTSW accepts students proportionally to the kind of interest they get, so I think (and I may be wrong) that fewer out-of-state students get accepted just because fewer of y'all apply. Hopefully that makes sense! 

I received an acceptance call this morning!!

Best of luck to all those who are waiting and thank you all for the valuable advice and feedback. To all those who will interview in the November session, my best piece of advice is to relax and be yourself. The interview experience at UTSW is fun. The faculty and current students are friendly and helpful.

I received an acceptance call this morning!!

Best of luck to all those who are waiting and thank you all for the valuable advice and feedback. To all those who will interview in the November session, my best piece of advice is to relax and be yourself. The interview experience at UTSW is fun. The faculty and current students are friendly and helpful.

Congratulations!! Did you interview on 10/29?

Anybody else think it's funny that UT southwestern is literally in the most northeastern major city in the state? Anyway, I interviewed on 10-29. It was a great experience. For those who are interviewing in November the best advice I could give you is GO TO THE MEET AND GREET! It will calm your nerves by a lot and the professors that are there actually interview you the next day. Everyone is so nice and welcoming. Keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance here

Does anyone know if they'll be doing any additional interviews after this weekend? Also when will we hear if we have been waitlisted or rejected? I think they said around December?

I'm a current student and they have told us that the interviews this weekend are the last round. There won't be any interviews in January this year. As for your status, I think they will be doing a big application review after this last round so I would guess December as well but they didn't tell us for sure!

I'm a current student and they have told us that the interviews this weekend are the last round. There won't be any interviews in January this year. As for your status, I think they will be doing a big application review after this last round so I would guess December as well but they didn't tell us for sure!

Thanks so much for responding! When you say application review do they consider your entire application and not just the interview? For some reason I thought after the interview they just look at that rather than reviewing the application again.

Thanks so much for responding! When you say application review do they consider your entire application and not just the interview? For some reason I thought after the interview they just look at that rather than reviewing the application again.

I can't say with TOTAL certainty because us students aren't part of the process, but I would assume they would review your entire application/qualifications/etc as well as your interview performance. Especially if they are reviewing people from earlier interview rounds!

Is there a specific day they will make all of their acceptance phone calls?

I believe all of the acceptance calls were already made last night, but wait list and rejections emails will be going out soon as well. So if you haven't gotten in you might still be on the wait list!

For those that received acceptances in the past, I forgot to ask on the phone, how long after the call do get the official email where you accept in writing?

You should be getting an email by the end of the week. The emails are not sent by the same people who make the phone calls so be patient! If you got a call, the email WILL come!

Archived