WEST VIRGINIA University of Charleston 2016-2017 cycle

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone - I'm the current PA student body President here at the University of Charleston in WV.  I'm happy to answer any program/personal questions you may have regarding our program.  If you have general questions regarding prereqs or anything along those lines, please check out our site at It's very comprehensive.

Feel free to ask me questions here or PM me directly.

Congrats to those with interviews already!  We are already seeing high interest in the program and I personally expect that to grow when our certification is changed to Ongoing for the next CASPA cycle!

JW

I'll be there July 18-19 with my actual interview time the morning of the 19th! Anyone else going on on that day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received my interview invite yesterday and confirmed my interview session will be july 18-19. For the interview portion I got the afternoon session. I will see you there!  

I received my interview invite yesterday and confirmed my interview session will be july 18-19. For the interview portion I got the afternoon session. I will see you there!

I guess I'll be seeing you at 2 interviews

I just applied today! How quickly did you all hear from the school? I haven’t gotten the supplemental application link yet, but everything else is done and verified - GRE and CASPA

I got an "application complete" email the same day my caspa was verified an email with the supplemental the following day. I submitted my supp app a week later and got confirmation saying my overall app was now complete the next day. I got the interview six days from the final "complete" email. Hope that helps! 

They seem to be really fast and efficient!

So here is my updated and verified (CASPA) information:

Undergrad Ed School: West Texas A&M University, BS in Biology

MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC), BS in Cytogenetic Technology

Overall GPA: 3.35

BCP GPA: 3.41

Post-Bach GPA: 4.00 (Last 59 hours)

Age at application time : 23

1st GRE: 307 cumulative (150V, 157Q, 4.0A)

Direct Patient Care (type & hours):

I have applied as a Patient Care Technician at a local hospital - Hope to hear back from them within a week

Non-Direct Health Care (type & hours):

Cytogenetic Technology Oncology/Hematology Clinical Rotations at Vanderbilt University ~ 600 hours

Shadowing Experience (type & hours):

Hematology (MD) - 27 hours

Pediatrics ICU (MD) - 13 hours

Interventional Radiology (PA-C) - 125 hours (and still shadowing)

Certifications and Licenses:

Licensed Cytogenetic Technologist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologist

BLS Certified

Research Activities:

Pancreatic Cancer at MDACC (3 months) - Published abstract in Association of Genetic Technologist over a systematic review on the correlation between CNV and staging for PC

Schools Applied: Oklahoma City University, Texas Tech University, UT-Southwestern, UT-Pan American (UT-RGV), UT-Medical Branch, University of North Texas, OU-Tulsa, AB University, and UCWV

Letter of Recommendation:

1 from a PA-C that I am shadowing - Interventional Radiology in Amarillo, TX

1 from an MD - Education Coordinator of the CGT program at MDACC

1 from an MD, PhD - Program Director of the CGT program at MDACC

Application Submitted Date: CASPA verified June 7, 2016

I will keep updating this post as I find out about my interviews, acceptances, and denials

Let me know what you guys think!

So here is my updated and verified (CASPA) information:

Undergrad Ed School: West Texas A&M University, BS in Biology

MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC), BS in Cytogenetic Technology

Overall GPA: 3.35

BCP GPA: 3.41

Post-Bach GPA: 4.00 (Last 59 hours)

Age at application time : 23

1st GRE: 307 cumulative (150V, 157Q, 4.0A)

Direct Patient Care (type & hours):

I have applied as a Patient Care Technician at a local hospital - Hope to hear back from them within a week

Non-Direct Health Care (type & hours):

Cytogenetic Technology Oncology/Hematology Clinical Rotations at Vanderbilt University ~ 600 hours

Shadowing Experience (type & hours):

Hematology (MD) - 27 hours

Pediatrics ICU (MD) - 13 hours

Interventional Radiology (PA-C) - 125 hours (and still shadowing)

Certifications and Licenses:

Licensed Cytogenetic Technologist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologist

BLS Certified

Research Activities:

Pancreatic Cancer at MDACC (3 months) - Published abstract in Association of Genetic Technologist over a systematic review on the correlation between CNV and staging for PC

Schools Applied: Oklahoma City University, Texas Tech University, UT-Southwestern, UT-Pan American (UT-RGV), UT-Medical Branch, University of North Texas, OU-Tulsa, AB University, and UCWV

Letter of Recommendation:

1 from a PA-C that I am shadowing - Interventional Radiology in Amarillo, TX

1 from an MD - Education Coordinator of the CGT program at MDACC

1 from an MD, PhD - Program Director of the CGT program at MDACC

Application Submitted Date: CASPA verified June 7, 2016

I will keep updating this post as I find out about my interviews, acceptances, and denials

Let me know what you guys think!

You have good stats! I think you'll get an invite somewhere

Archived