2016-2017 Application Cycle

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@aeffner from my understanding while at interviews and from the email I received after each of the interviews a couple (if any) will get acceptance letters, some will get denial letters, and then there is also a group where they are interested. With the interested group you are graded by a rubric and given a score and placed in numerical order. After all of the interviews are completed however many spots are needed to fill their 40 they will take the top from that numerical list and everyone after the 40 are waitlisted. That was just my understanding. Anyone who has already been to interviews or received the email please correct me if I am wrong, I do not want to pass off any incorrect information.

I'm guessing if we didn't receive emails for interviews on dec. 9th like the rest then that most likely mean our applications have been rejected. Or do they not send out emails for interviews on same day?

Absolutely not, @JRC! A current student received an invite one week before the interview date. There's still time. I've heard they are a little behind on things (I was verified August 25th) and received the email that I was under review almost a month ago.

@jlthornt my application was verified & said that it is under review on August 1st. You got the email on Aug 25th & already heard back for an interview. I'm hoping that doesn't mean mine was already looked at being it was before yours. I guess they look at application based on ranking & not order...??

Hey everyone,

I've been pretty busy throughout PA school and I apologize for completely forgetting about this site.  I know it's a bit late in the game, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask.  I'm glad to see JLindsey and Royce helping out answering the questions.  Good luck to everyone that's applied and don't give up hope, we have a current student in our class that was notified within days of the interview that she was granted an interview.  You really never know what can happen!

Good luck and keep the faith!

Graduated from Central Michigan University with bachelor in exercise science August 15.

GRE was 159/156/4.5

GPA 3.6

Hours 3896 at submission. Mostly from working full time since graduation as an exercise physiologist but also from being a nurse aid during college.

I was only denied with no interview from 2 schools and I was invited to 8 interviews. Went to 5 of them and have been accepted to 2, waitlisted to 1, and waiting to hear from 2.

Do you mind sharing your stats? @enpears

Graduated in May from Emory University

cGPA: 3.57

sGPA: 3.41

GRE: 161V / 159Q / 4.5A

HCE: 100 clinic volunteer, 280 research assistant for an AIDS project, 18 volunteer med supply sorter, 260 animal research experience 

PCE: 200 CNA, 1200 MA

@andrewb

We all live scattered all over.  Some people rent houses, some apartments, etc.  Theres plenty of places depends where you wanna be closer too. I live closer to downtown (about 20 mins) from campus and some live right by campus but farther away from downtown. West Mobile is nice, I live in Midtown, I men its just like any other city...tons of places. I have a 2 bedroom thats on the nicer side of apartments and its 935.00 so your GI Bill will cover plenty if you want a smaller cheaper place!

@andrewb

To echo what he said, I own a ~1900sq ft house in West Mobile and your GI bill would cover my mortgage. I live about 10 mins from campus. Traffic can affect your travel time pretty drastically depending on your route. I used to live in Timber Ridge apartments on Wall St which is about 5-10 mins drive to campus. A 2 bedroom was ~$900 at the time. Not sure what rates are now. I know you can find newer, nicer apartments for comparable rates. I'm not familiar with any apartments toward midtown/downtown. I know people that own houses in the area. Some areas are better than others (I wouldn't put my family in certain areas downtown or midtown). If you find any specific places you have questions about, just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'd like to live closer to campus so at least in didactic year I can maximize family time, so I'll be concentrating my search in West Mobile. Is there any outdoor rec, like nice parks?

Hey @andrewb,

I am a current didactic student along with jlindsey & royce920. My husband is in the military so we also live on BAH and it's totally do able! I live RIGHT near campus and it has been a huge advantage! I can fully take advantage of the libraries available and the fitness center! You can even get a membership for your spouse at $10/month. We rent a 3 bed 2 bath house (~1200 sq ft) with a small/non-existent yard (less maintenance!) for $850 a month. 

If I hear of any awesome rentals in the area, I will let you know! Also, feel free to post different areas/apartments you are looking into and someone will be able to give you additional details on the area. I remember jlindsey doing the same for me since I moved from out of state and it was super helpful.

Thanks everyone. I will prob ask about more specific properties/areas when we start actively searching.

Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions for recommended books not on the reading list, or material they wish they reviewed before class started?

Take advantage of your free time. You'll do plenty of reading when classes start. I don't remember specifically what they put on our book list but for the first semester Netter's anatomy flash cards helped me a lot. You won't need any of the PANCE review books until second semester. Also, odds are that at least one upper class man will have PDF copies to hand down. I think there is a clinical physiology made ridiculously simple or something like that. Those books help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed with jlindsey.......don't review anything before class starts enjoy your time off, plus you're taking the fun outta PA school by getting a jump start....lol. I (and many of my classmates) didn't buy a single book for the first semester. It all depends on your study/learning style but none of them are necessary, of course that is only my opinion.   Going forward, I wouldn't buy any books until you see what can be handed down and talk to several members of our class. Many of the "required" textbooks I haven't so much as seen before let alone opened and actually read!!

Thanks for the tips. Definitely not interested in buying books I won't use! My instinct is always to overprepare but I will try to take it easy before school starts. I have a big road trip out west planned with my family before we move to Mobile.

I got my receipt email for the deposit/statement of intent. Good luck everyone interviewing in the next couple weeks. I'm excited to learn who my classmates are going to be.

Archived