2016-2017 Application Cycle

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats @corpsman89 Best of luck for the future. Where did you decide to go?

I also received an invitation to interview on October 14. I'm looking forward to meeting program students, staff and faculty. @jlindsey hope to see you there.

I was accepted to University of Charleston, and Midwestern U in Glendale. Still deciding on those. :)

Congrats @corpsman89 ! Do you mind telling us your stats?

Sure! 

cGPA: 3.66

sGPA: 3.71

HCE: >13,000 (Combat Corpsman, now Lab tech)

GRE: 302

Good luck everybody!

Congrats @corpsman89 Best of luck for the future. Where did you decide to go?

I also received an invitation to interview on October 14. I'm looking forward to meeting program students, staff and faculty. @jlindsey hope to see you there.

I'll be there. Volunteered to give tours of the clinic sites/hospitals in the area. Pretty sure it'll be in the afternoon. Congrats and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@jlindsey Thanks and looking forward to it.

In the meanwhile I'm really interested to learn more about the program, and unfortunately I wasn't able to attend an open house. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions. What's your typical academic day like? What drew you to this program over others when you picked USA, and what do you like most about it now?

@jlindsey Thanks and looking forward to it.

In the meanwhile I'm really interested to learn more about the program, and unfortunately I wasn't able to attend an open house. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions. What's your typical academic day like? What drew you to this program over others when you picked USA, and what do you like most about it now?

Not a problem. So the first semester will be Anatomy, Physiology, Clin Med, PA Issues, and Intro to Infectious Dz. Gross Anatomy is a monster of a class, but it's an incredible experience. Personally, I think it just requires developing a routine, but I will admit that it is damn difficult. Class day is from 0800 to 1700 with lunch from 1200-1300. Often times you'll get to break for lunch earlier, same with in the afternoon. We didn't stay until 1700 every day. I made it a point to stay at school from 0800 to 1700 every day though regardless of when we were dismissed. It just allowed more quiet study time. I have a family though so I do my best to be home in the evening to have dinner and spend some time with them, but it's right back into the books to study from about 2000-0030. I would say I average 4-6 hours of studying every day. I take Friday nights and most of Saturday off, but then I spend all day Sunday studying at school. Second semester is a bit more spread out in terms of test frequency, but it's definitely more material. 

To be completely honest, this was the only school I applied to. This was for personal/family reasons and timing with my wife's career. Fortunately, I got in on my first try (very grateful of this). I looked into Emory, UAB, and Nova SE in FL. I really like that this program is dedicated to maintaining a class size of 40 whereas many others are expanding. I feel as though this allows a more direct interaction with the instructors. The instructors are fantastic, and go out of their way to help when needed. Gross anatomy lab is 100% hands on which was really conducive to learning (for me at least). The sim labs have been really neat, and they offer another really good hands on opportunity. My classmates are awesome. When you have a small group of people all suffering through the same hellacious schedule, you develop a very strong relationship with everyone. I think this is another benefit of the smaller class size. They have incorporated interprofessional learning into the curriculum with several sites around the city which provides a good opportunity to experience working with students of other professions. It also offers a very humbling experience of working with the homeless community. The program does a lot of networking to offer clinical sites all over the country if possible. There is a level one trauma center nearby that is affiliated with the college so it is a big teaching hospital (we'll go there on the interview day). 

I hope this helps and answers your questions. Don't hesitate to ask more if you have them.

@jlindsey thanks so much for your detailed answer. The interprofessional curriculum sounds like an interesting and unique feature. What type of other clinical professionals do you encounter in that?

I've also seen that the program emphasizes rural rotations. As I understand you are in the didactic year, but can you talk a bit about what those are like? I'm from a small agricultural community myself so those are my roots, so to speak.

@jlindsey thanks so much for your detailed answer. The interprofessional curriculum sounds like an interesting and unique feature. What type of other clinical professionals do you encounter in that?

I've also seen that the program emphasizes rural rotations. As I understand you are in the didactic year, but can you talk a bit about what those are like? I'm from a small agricultural community myself so those are my roots, so to speak.

Regarding the interprofessional curriculum, there are two facilities that we are currently using for this experience. One is a homeless shelter/clinic, the other is, for lack of a better description, an assisted living facility. The class is split in two groups of 20 that rotate in smaller groups of 4-5 on different dates. 20 go to one site for a semester, the other 20 to the other site. Next semester we will switch. At the homeless shelter, we are currently working with nursing students who are about to graduate which I'm very thankful for because they really know quite a bit more than we do at this point. There is a member of the PA faculty present, an MD, and a DNP. 

Every Saturday, the homeless shelter is the location of a student run clinic. It utilizes the same facility, but there will be one MD present and typically several med students, PA students, nursing students, occasionally PT students, and I've heard of OT students being present as well. Basically, it is what it sounds like. The students see the patients, take history, perform physical exam, focused exam, then present the info to the MD and he'll do as he sees fit. The site is pretty limited as far as resources immediately available, but we do what we can to refer patients to the right location or find resources for the patients to get meds they need, etc. It's pretty rewarding and a great learning experience.

Regarding the rural rotations, I can't speak specifically as to what you might expect, but I know the program is very rural/primary care focused. They have a 70 mile radius that they use as a cutoff for mileage/housing. Anything beyond that and they will assist in living arrangements (and I believe transportation reimbursement). Within that 70 mile radius though, you can end up in some very rural locations (i.e. single urgent care clinic, <100 bed hospital, etc). 70 miles isn't the limit. Like I said before, they have people who occasionally rotate in other states. I could try to get more information about the common rural sites if you'd like.

Basically, it is what it sounds like. The students see the patients, take history, perform physical exam, focused exam, then present the info to the MD and he'll do as he sees fit. The site is pretty limited as far as resources immediately available, but we do what we can to refer patients to the right location or find resources for the patients to get meds they need, etc. It's pretty rewarding and a great learning experience.

That sounds tremendously helpful as a learning experience and important populations to work with. I was under the impression that the didactic year is typically just classroom (and sim lab). Or at least that was the kind of first year experience related by PAs I shadowed and asked about their programs. The first year clinical experience is a big positive in my book.

By the by, you mention the school networks to line up out of state rotations. How does assignment of rotations work?I take it the out of state rotations are sought after for those institutions' facilities, reputation of excellence, etc. Or is that just what some folks have to do due to limited local sites?

I also appreciate your offer to gather a bit more information about some of the rural sites- if you do come across further info on that I would love to hear more details. Thanks again!

Does the program look at applications in the order in which application was verified? In other words, if person 'B' application was verified after person 'A' and received an interview...does that automatically mean person 'A' application got rejected?

No. They may pull some candidates early if highly qualified or past military. They reserve 10 slots for military. Don't give up hope until you hear something because they will notify you either way.

Also, @andrewb I have not forgotten about your question.

No. They may pull some candidates early if highly qualified or past military. They reserve 10 slots for military. Don't give up hope until you hear something because they will notify you either way.

Also, @andrewb I have not forgotten about your question.

I got waitlisted last year. I had an interview on their last day of interviews and absolutely fell in love with the program and staff but I haven't heard anything so I'm getting a litttle discouraged. Any advice? :-(

I got waitlisted last year. I had an interview on their last day of interviews and absolutely fell in love with the program and staff but I haven't heard anything so I'm getting a litttle discouraged. Any advice? :-(

Brush up on interviewing if you haven't already. I'm not sure what format they'll be using this year but hopefully it's casual like last year. Make sure you stay calm.

As for right now.. as much as it sucks, waiting is really the only thing you can do. Some people suggest calling just to check on the status of everything. I'm not sure how useful that is. I've also read of people calling and saying something along the lines of "I got a few offers from other schools but yours is at the top of my list so I don't want to jump on something if I have a chance to go here". Again, I'm not sure if that's something I'd do or even if it's useful. I don't doubt for a minute that people will be doing that though.

It's really just a painful waiting game :/ I've been told mixed info about reapplicants. Some say it shows dedication to goal and effort to make improvements and try again. Others have said that it's less likely each year you have to reapply simply due to the program admin dept having seen something they didn't like the first go round. I don't mean to discourage, just giving the info I have. Best of luck to you!

Brush up on interviewing if you haven't already. I'm not sure what format they'll be using this year but hopefully it's casual like last year. Make sure you stay calm.

As for right now.. as much as it sucks, waiting is really the only thing you can do. Some people suggest calling just to check on the status of everything. I'm not sure how useful that is. I've also read of people calling and saying something along the lines of "I got a few offers from other schools but yours is at the top of my list so I don't want to jump on something if I have a chance to go here". Again, I'm not sure if that's something I'd do or even if it's useful. I don't doubt for a minute that people will be doing that though.

It's really just a painful waiting game :/ I've been told mixed info about reapplicants. Some say it shows dedication to goal and effort to make improvements and try again. Others have said that it's less likely each year you have to reapply simply due to the program admin dept having seen something they didn't like the first go round. I don't mean to discourage, just giving the info I have. Best of luck to you!

Thanks. I'm really hoping to go here. I have a couple of friends in the program that started in May and I honestly can't see myself anywhere else. Great staff and facilities. Hoping for the best!

Archived