Applied to "Advance Practice Clinician" position.... now it says "Nurse Practitioner."

Allow me to vent my frustration:

In searching for a job in a NP saturated area where most docs only know about NPs and not PAs......

I applied to a position that says "Advance Practice Clinician" and got instant interest from the HR rep. We were talking back and forth and she was going to set up a site visit and interview.

Suddenly she drops off the face of the planet and I cannot reach her for 2 weeks.....

I see the job posting again and it now says "Nurse Practitioner."

I really don't want to leave KY. I am going to be doing cold calls/letters this week.

I don't know what the laws are like in Kentucky, but it sounds like someone has poisoned the well for PAs there by citing the "paperwork" and "supervisory requirements" and all the largely false stuff. 

It sucks when you can't get past HR or the office manager to the actual doc to present yourself.

Does the Kentucky PA society have stats on PA employment or promotional materials? An advocacy group? 

Do you know any PAs who work locally? A county medical society with a directory?

If you can find ONE PA who works happily with a local doc then maybe you can get in their door to find a network contact to the practice you want and meet someone. 

I am normally not a song and dance type of person but this case sounds like the profession needs positive promotion and facts.

Life shouldn't be this hard, though.

I agree that life shouldn't be this hard. And I knew that the PA profession was having a hard time in KY when I started, I just didn't realize it was precisely this difficult I guess. Besides, when your dream is to practice medicine and you read all about the PA profession - I couldn't have been more in love with a profession! And I will remain that way regardless of whether or not I have a job! (It just means a painful fight to keep my head above water, lol!)

The only KY PA friend I have actually got out of clinical medicine for this reason. Before I entered PA school I realized that the KY PA website was utter ridiculousness - barely any information, barely functioning and links didn't work.

After didactic I noticed that it was suddenly looking much better, was up and running and had more resources similar to other states. Clearly, it was improved from before. Also, clearly, there is room for MORE advancement of the PA profession in KY.

A few times during my didactic education (you know, during all that free time we had on our hands then, lol) I went to KY PA meetings. On one memorable meeting I went to: the members were addressing issues in KY legislation - the new grad "PAs must be on site with SP for 18 months" and basically attached to SP by the hip - and they were fighting it. (I think it was SB41.) Apparently, when they went to Frankfort to lobby there were a group of NPs there who were telling legislative members (outside of the meeting hall) that we were no more than glorified MAs and how uneducated and inept PAs were in the medical profession when compared to their "long-honored and recognized" profession. That caused an uproar, as you can imagine, among the PAs at the meeting. Apparently, it was immediately addressed by the couple of PAs who overheard the conversation, and the entire group I was there with agreed that further promotion of the TRUTH of the PA profession and what we could do was warranted. This was mid-2014, obviously, and I'm not here to stir the proverbial pot. Still, my experience at witnessing this proved that there is a real fight in our state between NPs and PAs - and I think it's sad because it's the patients in the rural areas that truly suffer.

Archived