2016-2017 Wake Forest Applicants

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the interview, it was stated that if you were chosen to interview at Wake, the chances of being accepted somewhere else were very high.

Assuming this is true, accepted students have some choices to make about where they will actually attend.

How are you making these decisions?

I think there are a lot of personal factors that go into this decision.  The biggest thing for me was the IBL process, and that's up to you to decide if that's a good learning environment for you.  Another factor for me was that Wake started 3 months earlier than most schools and is also 3 months shorter (24 vs 27 months) than most.  That means graduating 6 months earlier which is roughly 50k at a PA salary.  

Some other things to think about are:

Location and distance from family compared to other schools you're accepted to 

Cadaver lab

Size of city and cost of living/housing

If they have teleconference lectures and how often

Cost of attendance

PANCE pass rate

Hopefully you got to see if the school appeals to you during your interview, but it's certainly a difficult decision to make.

Anyone submitted their application around early September and has heard back for interviews? I unfortunately couldn't get all my prerequisites in on time for the early submission before the end of August so I know I wouldn't have been one of the first applicants to be reviewed. Just curious if there were any others in the same boat. 

Thanks!

Anyone submitted their application around early September and has heard back for interviews? I unfortunately couldn't get all my prerequisites in on time for the early submission before the end of August so I know I wouldn't have been one of the first applicants to be reviewed. Just curious if there were any others in the same boat.

Thanks!

I sent mine at the end of august (CASPA and and supplemental). I haven't heard anything back yet. But I haven't finished one pre req but will in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Wake Forest School of Medicine website:

"All prerequisite courses should be completed by the Fall Semester in which application is made.  Please noteBeginning with the 2017-2018 application cycle, all prerequisite course MUST be completed by the end of the Fall Semester in which the application is made.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I took the previous comments to mean that even though one may be eligible to apply with one outstanding prerequisite, the adcom waits until that has been completed before offering any interview slots still available. Maybe that doesn't make sense...which is why I was seeking clarification. When I was at the open house in June, Ms. Gmuca made it seem acceptable that i would be fine taking genetics next fall and could apply in 2017.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I took the previous comments to mean that even though one may be eligible to apply with one outstanding prerequisite, the adcom waits until that has been completed before offering any interview slots still available. Maybe that doesn't make sense...which is why I was seeking clarification. When I was at the open house in June, Ms. Gmuca made it seem acceptable that i would be fine taking genetics next fall and could apply in 2017.

It's acceptable and I don't think the admin technically waits for you to finish, rather, they invite the most qualified applicants at the time. You should realize that many candidates will already have all courses completed which, all things being equal (I know, they aren't but for the sake of example), makes you less competitive. It's hard to balance courses, how competitive you are, and submission deadlines, especially when you consider how impressive the applicant pools are.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but my suggestion would be to try to get your class in before you apply (it would then be included in the CASPA GPA calculation, too.) It's a little expensive, but Central Michigan University offers a great online genetics course.

Good luck!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Archived