2016-2017 Wake Forest Applicants

Sure.  It varies. Hope that helps.

Just kidding.  It does vary quite a bit, though.  Monday starts with a quiz, followed by IBL.  IBL will be every Monday, Wednesday (10-12) and Friday (9-10:30) followed by wrap-up (10:30-12).  The rest of the week varies a bit.  Monday afternoon usually has at least one lecture.  Tuesday and Thursday mornings will have lectures.  You will have lab either Tuesday or Thursday afternoon and usually Wednesday afternoon as well.

As far as times, there have been a few days that start as early as 8, but 9 is more typical, and 9:30/10 has happened a few times.  We have had a few days that go to 5, but that is a rarity.  Usually, we are done between 2-3.  Tomorrow (Tuesday), for example, I have one lecture from 9-10:30 and that's it for the day.  

During unit 1 (the summer), it's usually more lecture/lab intense and 8-8:30 mornings were typical.  But unit 1 is your cadaver labs, A&P, immunology, etc. and has no PBL activities; hence the increased time on campus.

Friday is usually done by 12-1, and no weekend classes (but a large number of us are here on Sat/Sun).  Hope that helps.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need some advice. I've been offered a seat on the Boone campus and I'm so excited. But I have a house and a family with a 5 year old in Greensboro and really needed a spot at the Winston campus. Elise said if I take the spot at Boone, I'm locked in there; I can't transfer if a subsequent spot opens in WS. If I turn down the Boone spot, I'll go back on the list.

I've been accepted at another school closer than Boone, but the program at Wake is exactly what I'm looking for.

Do I take the sure thing and go to Boone? Do I let it ride and hope for movement in the Winston campus knowing I have a back-up?

Side note, if anyone at Winston is undecided or has decided to go somewhere else but hasn't informed Wake, you could make my life a lot easier! [emoji23]

I just don't want to have to leave my family, especially just as he starts kindergarten.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Did you put the Boone campus as your first choice on the supplemental? Or did you put winston and they only have a seat available in Boone?

I'm applying this coming cycle and will put winston as my preference, as I'm from king and would love to be back around my family, but if they offered me a seat in Boone I'd go there too in a flash. Lots of good rocks to climb in the high country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you put the Boone campus as your first choice on the supplemental? Or did you put winston and they only have a seat available in Boone?

I'm applying this coming cycle and will put winston as my preference, as I'm from king and would love to be back around my family, but if they offered me a seat in Boone I'd go there too in a flash. Lots of good rocks to climb in the high country!

I put Winston and actually Elise said I had a very compelling argument for being in Winston but all they had was the Boone spot.

It's not that I don't want to go to Boone...I know it's beautiful. It's that I don't want to leave my family, plus me being out there adds another financial burden by having to pay rent and still maintain my mortgage in Greensboro.

I put Winston and actually Elise said I had a very compelling argument for being in Winston but all they had was the Boone spot.

It's not that I don't want to go to Boone...I know it's beautiful. It's that I don't want to leave my family, plus me being out there adds another financial burden by having to pay rent and still maintain my mortgage in Greensboro.

I completely understand that, and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do! I'm a little surprised they have seats in Boone open as there are fewer available compared to the cohort in winston.

Also, would you agree that while the programs are essentially identical that the Boone campus is more geared toward producing PAs to work in primary care in WNC? Is that your goal, or do you feel that either campus will nurture and enable you to do whatever it is you hope to after school?

I completely understand that, and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do! I'm a little surprised they have seats in Boone open as there are fewer available compared to the cohort in winston.

Also, would you agree that while the programs are essentially identical that the Boone campus is more geared toward producing PAs to work in primary care in WNC? Is that your goal, or do you feel that either campus will nurture and enable you to do whatever it is you hope to after school?

I do think the Boone campus was designed to meet the needs of rural WNC, yes. I think current students would be better suited to answer those questions about the particular differences or similarities, though.

My goal, however, is to stay in the Triad area and maybe even return to the practice where I currently work. This is my home. This is my patient population. This is where I can do my best work.

Yes, that is why the program was started in Western NC. The curriculum is identical, but Boone students are better geographically positioned to provide care out that way.

That being said, there is no requirement to stay out that way. Walk across thestage after 2 years at either campus, and go practice wherever you want.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Warning number 1: this is a long post. I need help again.

But before I get to that, I want everyone to know that this is my third year applying. When I started, I didn't know if I was good enough to get in anywhere. I would literally fantasize about what I would do if I actually got into 2 places, because even a single acceptance would feel like a miracle. And every year I've been on these boards HATING every post I read like the one I'm about to write.

Warning number 2: to the people who are discouraged and disappointed about what has happened during this cycle, don't be mad at the rest of this post. Work harder. Improve. Practice. Do whatever you can to get better. When you think you can't work any harder, find a way. And not just for the application, figure out how to be a better person. Figure out what it will take for you to have the personality, drive, and experience for your references to want to go all out for you. Blow them away, not for your application, but to be memorable every day. Now, stop reading.

To those who have been accepted or are current students, I am in the incredible, MIND-BOGGLING position to have to choose between Wake (Winston!!) and Duke. I never, ever thought I'd have to make this choice and it feels really weird because...I'm just me. Just...me. And everyone else in the interviews were truly exceptional human beings. I keep thinking there's been a mistake and I'll get an email tomorrow saying so.

I'm tearing my hair out. Can any current or future student help? I understand that I can't make a "wrong" decision here, which is part of what makes this so difficult. I've made pro and con lists. I've talked to my coworkers, the physicians I work for, and my family- I've flipped coins, I've had sleepless nights. Last year I almost killed my phone when I got to the posts like these, but being in this position now I understand the difficulty and the gravity of making this choice.

I'm in Greensboro so: the cost is essentially identical. The drive time is essentially identical (fairly congested road to wake, wide open to duke). A somewhat "flexible" schedule at both-not the right word, but not a set 8-5 every day meaning a little more time to spend with my 5 year old.

Wake started the IBL curriculum which really speaks to me, but Duke is integrating it too. My current manager's husband runs the cadaver lab at Wake, but a PhD anatomist runs it at Duke. Both have similar clinical options as far as electives, proximity, and breadth of specialties. Etc, etc, etc.

Is it wrong to pick a school based on the student lounge? Because that's what it might come down to.

Please help me. I don't think my partner can handle any more 3am questions about it. (What if there isn't enough room in the fridge for my lunch at Duke?-- Shmfph huh? What's wrong? Are you bleeding??--well, I can't go all day without eating, and I can't afford to eat out. --WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Go to SLEEP!-- But I-- No. Shut your mouth and shut your eyes.)

Not sure what you're looking for here. I'm a first year. Didn't apply to Duke, so I can't help with a comparison. Wake accepted me and it's one of the best experiences of my life. But, I moved down here from Maryland with a wife and kid.

The guy who teaches cadaver/a&p at wake is awesome. But, you'll only see him for your first month.

To me, IBL is the sh*t and the very idea in sitting in lecture all week would now give me hives.

Any specific questions, I'll answer what I can.

Completely on the same page as far as the hives go, but it's a misconception that Duke is all lectures. I thought that's what they were known for, but I've been talking to a few first years there, too, which is one of the things that makes this so hard: Duke is utilizing the small-group IBL strategy a lot more than they used to.

I'm not saying this to argue or to make any implications - before I heard that from the Duke students, I thought this would be an easy decision because I'm not exactly a great student with the pedagogical style.

I'm just wondering how people chose. I'm wondering how parents feel now that they've made that choice. Do you think the curriculum at Wake has been better for the relationship with your child than it might have been at a more structured school? Or is it harder because, even though you might "be home" more, you can't actually participate because you're studying? How is Wake at understanding your role as a parent and that- albeit rarely- sometimes your kid is going to throw up on your way out the door and you'll be 10 minutes late to class? How many of the students commute? Do those who commute feel like they are missing out on social activities for the class? These are all things I asked the Duke students so getting the other side only helps.

My wife is an RN who works 3p-3a 3x/wk. When she works, I go get my son from the babysitter by 3-3:30. If class is dine early that day, I stay and study.

Regardless, after I get my kid, I don't study until after he goes to bed. When I'm home, I'm home.

Days my other isn't working? I often stay at school till almost bed time. I go home, see my son for 30 or so minutes and put him to bed. I'm then done for the night, usually.

Weekends my wife works: little study time. Weekends she doesn't work: we carve out time for family. Maybe half a day. Then I'm at school for a good chunk of the weekend.

I found study time at home was ineffective. I wanted to be with the family, and they wanted me with them.

There was a stretch where we had child care issues and my wife was changing jobs. Basically, for about a week and a half I was going to be at risk for either being late or needing to leave early several times during that stretch. I emailed the faculty and our registrar, and let them know as soon as I did. Not one single time was it an issue. Everyone was very understanding.

With the exception of the free clinic, I do next to nothing with the class outside of school. We just had our unit finals and yesterday eveyone got together to party. I spent it with my son.

I still get invited,but there has never been anything but understanding from my peers.

I'm the oldest in the class and don't get involved in intramural sports either. Again, never any animosity about it. I text and chat with several friends in the class and have met for coffee with a few outside of class. Sometimes with a Boone student in town, sometimes with someone who needs to chat.

I decided not to apply to Duke after looking at the raw number of applicants they get, so I know nothing of them.

My wife is an RN who works 3p-3a 3x/wk. When she works, I go get my son from the babysitter by 3-3:30. If class is dine early that day, I stay and study.

Regardless, after I get my kid, I don't study until after he goes to bed. When I'm home, I'm home.

Days my other isn't working? I often stay at school till almost bed time. I go home, see my son for 30 or so minutes and put him to bed. I'm then done for the night, usually.

Weekends my wife works: little study time. Weekends she doesn't work: we carve out time for family. Maybe half a day. Then I'm at school for a good chunk of the weekend.

I found study time at home was ineffective. I wanted to be with the family, and they wanted me with them.

There was a stretch where we had child care issues and my wife was changing jobs. Basically, for about a week and a half I was going to be at risk for either being late or needing to leave early several times during that stretch. I emailed the faculty and our registrar, and let them know as soon as I did. Not one single time was it an issue. Everyone was very understanding.

With the exception of the free clinic, I do next to nothing with the class outside of school. We just had our unit finals and yesterday eveyone got together to party. I spent it with my son.

I still get invited,but there has never been anything but understanding from my peers.

I'm the oldest in the class and don't get involved in intramural sports either. Again, never any animosity about it. I text and chat with several friends in the class and have met for coffee with a few outside of class. Sometimes with a Boone student in town, sometimes with someone who needs to chat.

I decided not to apply to Duke after looking at the raw number of applicants they get, so I know nothing of them.

This, all of this, is Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Not a current student, not a PA, I'm applying in several weeks. So I don't have any experience with this specific problem (hard to call it that, I'm sure you're painfully aware), so please disregard my butting in, i feel compelled to contribute.

I do have a lot of experience with my mind running around in circles, at all times of the day and night. I have experience obsessively making lists, asking for the advice of others, searching high and low for someone or something to tell me what to do. Or show a sign. Something! I'm familiar with those types of all consuming situations.

What I've learned, personally, is that my head will continue to spin and I will continue worrying/thinking/praying for an answer as long as I choose to. My experience has been that I usually know what the right answer is, and it's in my gut. My gut doesn't lie, it's all knowing, and if I'm truly honest with myself then I realize my gut is leaning in a particular direction and probably has been for a while. It's never done me wrong.

I know you asked some specific questions, sorry that this doesn't address them. I feel like there are always more questions, more things to weigh and consider.

Trust your gut. And congratulations!

Not a current student, not a PA, I'm applying in several weeks. So I don't have any experience with this specific problem (hard to call it that, I'm sure you're painfully aware), so please disregard my butting in, i feel compelled to contribute.

I do have a lot of experience with my mind running around in circles, at all times of the day and night. I have experience obsessively making lists, asking for the advice of others, searching high and low for someone or something to tell me what to do. Or show a sign. Something! I'm familiar with those types of all consuming situations.

What I've learned, personally, is that my head will continue to spin and I will continue worrying/thinking/praying for an answer as long as I choose to. My experience has been that I usually know what the right answer is, and it's in my gut. My gut doesn't lie, it's all knowing, and if I'm truly honest with myself then I realize my gut is leaning in a particular direction and probably has been for a while. It's never done me wrong.

I know you asked some specific questions, sorry that this doesn't address them. I feel like there are always more questions, more things to weigh and consider.

Trust your gut. And congratulations!

You are SO right and what you described is me to a T. And right again that this decision is a fortune, not a hardship...which is why I prefaced my post with a short anecdote about my journey. I am not unaware of the serendipity of this moment.

My gut *has* been telling me the answer, but I always want to evaluate new information...I am the epitome of those FOMO commercials. I know the right choice, but what am I missing by making that choice?

I think the biggest problem is that all the new information I get is in direct opposition to my gut. I'm seeing "signs" everywhere and I don't even believe in signs. My family says one thing, my coworkers say another, my partner says one, and his family says the other. And I can convince myself either way.

Like I said, I know there is no *wrong* choice, which makes the right choice that much more obscure.

Your post, essentially telling me I'm not crazy and giving me "permission" to listen to mySELF, is powerful and perhaps exactly what I needed. Thank you.

• 8 months later...
50 minutes ago, needmorecoffee said:

Do any current or former Boone students have advice on housing in the area? It seems like a lot of the rental agencies cater to ASU students and start leases in August. Thanks in advance!

Hey there! I am a current Boone student. You are right in that most apartment agencies here offer an August-July lease due to ASU being so close and Boone being a college town. Also, many of the apartment complexes are owned by a single agency (Kuester) so the fees and pricing for those complexes will all be very similar. What many students did (including myself) was sublease an apartment from the previous Boone students for the months of June and July and then sign a separate lease for the following August-July. This seems to the the popular option considering most Boonies leave Boone at the end of May right before the next cohort arrives. There are also some houses for rent but most of our class is actually in 3/3 apartments just for the convenience. I suggest you join the WF PA class of 2020 Boone Cohort FB page  because in the Spring many of us will probably be posting about our apartments looking to sublease and sign them over to the new Boone class. 

Hey there! I am a current Boone student. You are right in that most apartment agencies here offer an August-July lease due to ASU being so close and Boone being a college town. Also, many of the apartment complexes are owned by a single agency (Kuester) so the fees and pricing for those complexes will all be very similar. What many students did (including myself) was sublease an apartment from the previous Boone students for the months of June and July and then sign a separate lease for the following August-July. This seems to the the popular option considering most Boonies leave Boone at the end of May right before the next cohort arrives. There are also some houses for rent but most of our class is actually in 3/3 apartments just for the convenience. I suggest you join the WF PA class of 2020 Boone Cohort FB page  because in the Spring many of us will probably be posting about our apartments looking to sublease and sign them over to the new Boone class. 

Already a member! So most students don't maintain housing in Boone during the clinical year? Thanks for the info!

Just now, needmorecoffee said:

Already a member! So most students don't maintain housing in Boone during the clinical year? Thanks for the info!

You may elect to have your home base for clinical rotations in Boone but there are not many spots available and it tends to be more convenient to live in Winston since call backs are there and because there are just more opportunities for rotations in the nearby area compared to the little town of Boone. I am unsure how many of us are trying to stay in Boone for rotations but I do know well over half of us are currently looking into housing in Winston. 

You may elect to have your home base for clinical rotations in Boone but there are not many spots available and it tends to be more convenient to live in Winston since call backs are there and because there are just more opportunities for rotations in the nearby area compared to the little town of Boone. I am unsure how many of us are trying to stay in Boone for rotations but I do know well over half of us are currently looking into housing in Winston. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I can't wait to start!

Archived