2016-2017 Admission Cycle

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How important do you guys think it is to interview right away? Do you think waiting until December be a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there.

I am a current student. I will let you know that some people that got in didn't even apply until right before the deadline. I was in the first interview group but had to wait and didn't find out I was in until February. I am not sure the date of your interview makes much difference.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I am happy to answer them.

Becky

Hi there.

I am a current student. I will let you know that some people that got in didn't even apply until right before the deadline. I was in the first interview group but had to wait and didn't find out I was in until February. I am not sure the date of your interview makes much difference.

Becky

Did they communicate with you after the interview to let you know that you were still in review?

They did.  I found out my score from the interview I think a day or two after.  I had missed the early offer by a few tenths of a point. Ugh!

Ann was awesome about keeping us in the loop.  When she first emailed me she told me where I was on the waiting list, how many interviews were left, and when I could email her back for an update.  I emailed her after each interview group to get updated numbers.  I made a spreadsheet and actually knew I would have an offer several weeks before the offer came, just going off the numbers.  That doesn't mean the waiting wasn't torture, but the updates made it doable.

Hi there.

Becky

@wrebe I've never been to Idaho, so I'm trying to predict which campus/town I'd like best. I feel like this is a over-asked question, but is there any differences between campuses/resources/student groups/towns? I think Meridian was just renovated and I think I read that also happened in Pocatello? For the Meridian campus, how is it being integrated with a high school? Thanks for your insight!

@wrebe I've never been to Idaho, so I'm trying to predict which campus/town I'd like best. I feel like this is a over-asked question, but is there any differences between campuses/resources/student groups/towns? I think Meridian was just renovated and I think I read that also happened in Pocatello? For the Meridian campus, how is it being integrated with a high school? Thanks for your insight!

Hi there.

I am in Pocatello, but will try to do my best to help inform you.

Caldwell: the campus is really one small room, but they have big windows. ;-)  They travel to Meridian for the anatomy labs.  This semester there is only 1 class being taught from Caldwell.  There are 12 students there.  Some really love the small campus.

Meridian: They had a remodel last year and have a nice big room with tiered seating.  This is nice because you get really tired of sitting all the time and the tiers and wide rows allow several people to stand during class.  They do have a nice cadaver lab.  They are in a high school so the "gym" is the weight room so you have to use it when the high schoolers don't have it occupied.  They have a cafeteria and I think they said you can get lunch for $3.  They also have a $2 latte.  ;-) There are several classes taught from Meridian.

Pocatello:  We did have a partial renovation last year with the addition of a nice kitchen.  This summer they are finishing the classroom renovation so you guys should have a nice new area. We are located centrally to several food spots on campus and are about a block from the gym with climbing wall, pool, etc.  We have activities on campus a lot and there really is a lot to do.  We have a theatre that shows free movies every week (if you aren't studying), bowling, student association events, free food, and more. More than half of the classes are taught from Pocatello. Although, teachers try to go back and forth so they get to visit each site. Our building is on the edge of campus and we have a really nice trail up in the foothills.  It's common for students to hike or bike the hills on breaks or at lunch.  There is also a walking path nearby.  I would say more than half of all classes are taught from Pocatello. 

Hopefully that helps a little.  Good luck to you!

@wrebe, thanks for that info! that's great!

@swanosaur, I feel like I have to go onsite. I know it's expensive/stressful to fly out, but I feel like it shows you're invested in the program and it gives admissions the best and most complete picture of who you are as a candidate... though i'd probably interview better in my pajamas and on the phone.... 

@wrebe, thanks for that info! that's great!

@swanosaur, I feel like I have to go onsite. I know it's expensive/stressful to fly out, but I feel like it shows you're invested in the program and it gives admissions the best and most complete picture of who you are as a candidate... though i'd probably interview better in my pajamas and on the phone.... 

Exactly! And flights make you feel drained too. Well, Im glad they're giving us some time to think about it though from the time they send the email to the time they call. 

Those who were offered interviews, have you been given dates yet?

They offered as early as ~oct 30th I believe and I want to say they had 2-3 days available per week thru most of November... I went for Nov 17th.

How long did it take them to call you guys with dates? I can't turn in my survey until next week because all of the schools are closed and I don't know the graduation rates of my high school. I'm hoping that doesn't make a difference on when they'll call.

How long did it take them to call you guys with dates? I can't turn in my survey until next week because all of the schools are closed and I don't know the graduation rates of my high school. I'm hoping that doesn't make a difference on when they'll call.

I actually received a call prior to looking at any of the online class so it shouldn't make a difference!

Hi russeb.

I just went and talked to administration to make sure I could answer this appropriately, since I am a first year.  There isn't a designated rotation for primary care because other than specialty rotations like surgery, you are really practicing that principle, first-contact care throughout the rotations.  Between Internal Medicine, Outpatient Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, & Pediatrics we will provide lots of primary care. The Emergency Medicine, Surgery & Psychiatry is probably more specialized. 

I hope I cleared that up a little bit for you.  If it's still clear as mud, I would contact Kerbie with the clinical year team at shepkerb@isu.edu.  She can shine some more light. 

Best of luck!

Becky

Archived