Timing for Navy HSCP and applying to PA school

Hey everybody,

I am currently in the process for applying for the Navy's HSCP program. I am also taking my prerequisite courses all this year. I still have 6 more courses to finish, so I won't be able to submit my CASPA until August at the earliest. 

What I'm concerned about is my recruiter told me my whole package needs to be submitted by October, which means I will have to have my letter of acceptance from a PA program in hand. But how is this supposed to work? How can I apply for HSCP while simultaneously applying to PA schools, and I am supposed to have everything submitted by October, even though most PA schools don't give letters of acceptance until the Winter?

Also, would I be able to apply again early next year for HSCP, the same year (hopefully) I start my courses in a PA program? Would I make it?

BTW, when do PA schools usually give letters of acceptance? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I got my PA school acceptance letter November 2013, started the HSCP application process in January 2014 but waited until October 2014 (new fiscal year) to submit it. I started PA school Aug 2014, got my HSCP acceptance late Nov 2014, and was enlisted Dec 2014. Not sure if that really helps you with the timeline, but basically I already had an acceptance letter before even talking to a recruiter. I've heard you don't have to have an acceptance letter but it definitely helps speed up the process. 

As far as PA school acceptance is concerned, every school is different and there is no way really to predict when you'll see an interview invitation/acceptance. I know for me personally I got my notifications of acceptance within 2 weeks of interviewing at the schools I interviewed at. If I were you I'd look at the threads of the specific schools you applied to because other people that have applied/interviewed/gotten accepted may have a better idea. The best piece of advice I can give to anyone applying to PA school is apply AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE in the cycle... i.e. May/June of the cycle (that is, if you are able to do so.) Many schools have rolling acceptance so the longer you wait to apply, the higher likelihood is that other people are filling up those slots before you.

Thanks ncsupas, that does help clarify things. So if I don't make it for this fiscal year for HSCP, can I apply early next year (January 2017) for it when I already have my letter of acceptance? I see that your package wasn't submitted until after you started your program.

BTW, when did you interview for your schools?

Thanks ncsupas, that does help clarify things. So if I don't make it for this fiscal year for HSCP, can I apply early next year (January 2017) for it when I already have my letter of acceptance? I see that your package wasn't submitted until after you started your program.

BTW, when did you interview for your schools?

I think January 2017 will be too late for the 16-17 application process. By that time, if your package gets reviewed I think you'd probably get placed on an alternate list because the board only meets a couple of times and they are also doing rolling acceptance, so you're competing against time more so than other applicants. That is why it is highly encouraged to submit your package day 1 of the new fiscal year which is October 1st, which is what I did. If you wait until January then you're 3 months behind the earliest date you could've submitted and others will be submitting their packages in October. That's not to say you HAVE to submit in October/November-ish but from what I've seen and heard these applicants have a much better shot than the ones who submit later. If you don't submit for 16-17 I'm sure you can submit for 17-18, but I would talk to your recruiter to verify. They're going to want you to submit ASAP because they want to meet their quotas but it may be better for you to wait until next year to submit. I wasn't notified of my HSCP acceptance until 3 months into PA school and wasn't sworn in until 4 months into PA school. Of course, I didn't start receiving my benefits and salary until that time but if I remember correctly the HSCP only pays for 24 months of a program anyway, so it worked out perfectly for me since my program is 28 months. I will have only had 4 months of school without a salary. And to address your other question - I submitted CASPA in late July, interviewed in October and November, and received my acceptances in November/December.

So if I don't make it for this fiscal year (2016-2017), would I be able to apply for HSCP for the 2017-2018 fiscal year and still be an early applicant, as you did? I'm just thinking that it's already too late this year. I will still need to take at least 2 more courses during the Fall semester this year to finish my prereqs, so I absolutely can't apply to a PA program until I finish my 2nd Summer semester, which will be in late August. I have to do all my science prereqs this year. Darn my economics degree!

So if I don't make it for this fiscal year (2016-2017), would I be able to apply for HSCP for the 2017-2018 fiscal year and still be an early applicant, as you did? I'm just thinking that it's already too late this year. I will still need to take at least 2 more courses during the Fall semester this year to finish my prereqs, so I absolutely can't apply to a PA program until I finish my 2nd Summer semester, which will be in late August. I have to do all my science prereqs this year. Darn my economics degree!

That's why I suggested you talk to your recruiter to verify because just because it worked that way for me doesn't mean it will work that way for you. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to apply for next year's fiscal year consideration but every year things have the potential to change so I would definitely talk to your recruiter to make sure. That's what I would suggest in your situation, though, since it is unlikely you will have everything done in time. If I were you I'd focus primarily on getting into PA school at this point because it seems as if your timeline is going to be extremely rushed. Wish you the best of luck and let me know if you have more questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Was told since my program is a bachelor's program pa program that I didn't qualify. My school has an affiliation with a university which confers a master in medical science but still the recruiter said I didn't qualify for navy HSCP due to the program not being a master degree on its own even though I intended to do the.bridge through st francis university

• 1 month later...

Archived