L2014

Professional Memberships

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on whether or not you all think being a member of AAPA or any state specific PA Associations have any benefit during admissions process? I saw the tab for "Memberships" on CASPA and was curious. I had been contemplating joining AAPA due to the vast amount of resources associated with a membership, but it is quite pricey.

Thanks a lot!

During admission/application process?  Nah.  Once you're a student the student AAPA membership is reasonable.

• Upvote 1

Joining your state pa organization may have some benefits in terms of networking to get more shadowing hours and recommendation letters, but if you are joining just to put it on your application; I don't believe it will improve your chances of acceptance.

I'm curious, what examples of professional memberships do people usually possess that they list in the CASPA application? In addition, how would the student describe their role in the organization? 

I'm curious, what examples of professional memberships do people usually possess that they list in the CASPA application? In addition, how would the student describe their role in the organization? 

I think typically it would be people who are in careers prior to applying vs students just getting HCE.  There are so many out there.  I know I used to belong to Am. Society of Microbiology.  No role, just...was a member because it was relevant to my past life.

I think typically it would be people who are in careers prior to applying vs students just getting HCE.  There are so many out there.  I know I used to belong to Am. Society of Microbiology.  No role, just...was a member because it was relevant to my past life.

I have a similar professional membership, where It was part of a previous career but I was only a member. I listed it, but did you? 

I have a similar professional membership, where It was part of a previous career but I was only a member. I listed it, but did you? 

I didn't because I wasn't an active member.  It was just something I had belonged to in the past and was using as an example of what someone might have to list for that section.

I believe you can be an affiliate member of AAPA for not a whole lot. I joined before I applied and benefited from being able to get their literature and better understand what was going on in the profession. I listed the membership in my application. Don't know if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt.

I don't know if they still have an affiliate membership rate, but it might be something to consider.

• Upvote 1

I believe you can be an affiliate member of AAPA for not a whole lot. I joined before I applied and benefited from being able to get their literature and better understand what was going on in the profession. I listed the membership in my application. Don't know if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt.

I don't know if they still have an affiliate membership rate, but it might be something to consider.

Very true, but aapa does post some relevant news for nonmembers as well. Example would be the article on their recent stance to nccpas suggestion of changing how the panre works.

I listed my membership in my national (NATA,) state (GATA,) and regional (SEATA) organizations.  The Athletic Training profession is pretty small, so most practitioners are members of at least the national association.  While I was never on a committee, I was an active voting member and attended the annual meetings and such. In part of my interview I did discuss how I thought it was important to be a member of professional organizations, therefore my membership was a key talking point.

All other things being equal, a program would probably be inclined to give preference to someone who looks like they like to get involved with things. It is part of showing you have a track record of experiences which have developed your "people skills." I would add two caveats:

-Having a bunch of organizations that you suddenly joined at the same time just before applying might make your application look desperate

-Your academic record needs to stand by itself.

I'll share the comment I made to a similar question:

Just listing membership in AAPA or your state org on your application probably won't make any difference. Being able to incorporate how that membership has made you a better applicant has value.  

As a pre-PA member, I attended state conferences. I read current published articles about the profession (& a few on the medicine when it was something where I already had interests). I randomly went back a few years and looked at older posts - it's an evolving profession! - knowing more about that was an asset.  It certainly gave me more things to discuss in my interviews than sample responses from "Getting into PA School for Dummies" (for Dummies is A Wiley Brand - all rights reserved - no, this is not an actual book title! but if it was, they'd own it).  

Basically, in my former life I was very involved in the organizations for professionals in my field.  My experience is that you will learn a lot more about the ins and outs of a profession from the myriad of individuals who are living it then you ever will in the popular press or from people outside the profession.  Actively participating is required for the benefits, not just paying the dues.

• Upvote 1

I listed my membership in my national (NATA,) state (GATA,) and regional (SEATA) organizations.  The Athletic Training profession is pretty small, so most practitioners are members of at least the national association.  While I was never on a committee, I was an active voting member and attended the annual meetings and such. In part of my interview I did discuss how I thought it was important to be a member of professional organizations, therefore my membership was a key talking point.

Im also a member of the NATA, NYSATA and EATA, but have not been active in the past year since I became certified. How important do you think attending conferences or events will be in the eyes of an admissions committee? Not sure if you have any insight or have had it come up in an interview process yet.

I served as a board member for a local computer investigators' organization.  I listed that as follows (yes, I keep a copy of my CASPA application, 7 years later): 

Director at large, Private Sector, (organization name)

Supervisor: (redacted)
Period: December 2000 - June 2006 (280 weeks), 1 hours per week
Still current: No
Duties: Assisted in the management and conduct of a public/private educational partnership for computer investigators. Created and delivered technology issues presentations to law enforcement investigators and private sector computer security personnel. Instructed "Working with the Private Sector" module of (Local state LE training administration)-recognized "Introduction to Computer Crime Investigation" class.

Did it help?  I don't know.  But I did show that I was more than just someone who joined and paid dues.  If you can put something like that down, do it, regardless of what field it's in.

Joining my state's chapter was a great decision. Went to about 4-6 drug rep dinners with free food. It seriously is a great thing to have a nice ritzy meal when you're in PA school. You forget what it's like .