2016-2017 Cycle

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Received an interview invite this morning via email. Will be attending Nov. 5th. Anyone else interested in meeting up the night before? 

Also, I know this was always on my mind when others posted, so:

Submitted CASPA Aug 1st

Verified CASPA Aug 9th

Submitted Supplemental Aug 15th

Good luck to everyone!

Received an interview invite this morning via email. Will be attending Nov. 5th. Anyone else interested in meeting up the night before? 

Submitted CASPA Aug 1st

Verified CASPA Aug 9th

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! Do you mind sharing your stats? I submitted my in late July and haven't heard anything. Getting so anxious here

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! Do you mind sharing your stats? I submitted my in late July and haven't heard anything. Getting so anxious here

Not at all!

Overall GPA: 3.75

Science GPA: 3.82

Last 90 credits: 3.87

HCE: 26,260 (10 years)

PA Shadowing: 40 hours

Volunteering: 100 hours

Also, because I know I am always curious, I do not live in Oregon currently, but I have lived there in the past for about one year. Hope this was helpful!

Submitted CASPA Aug 1st

Verified CASPA Aug 9th

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats!

Hello everyone!

While all of you are waiting for interviews/to hear back from interviews, I'm preparing for the 2017-2018 cycle. I am very interested in Pacific U of Oregon, and I just want to know if it's worth applying with my stats and experience.

- cGPA: 3.6 (Currently taking med term and Spanish at a CC)

- sGPA: 3.5

- HCE: Will have >1000h by the time CASPA opens. (Currently a medical scribe and I do minimal medical assistant tasks at a private clinic. I rotate working around with a PA, pediatrician, and an internist). 

- Volunteer: 200h combined form my internship, medical orgs, and hospital volunteer

- 2 years of research background at my undergrad specializing in Alzheimer's Disease. 

- Multiple leadership positions in a pre-health organization and involvements with other organizations during my undergrad.

- Right now during my gap year, I'm just working and I volunteer at a hospital during the weekends. I'm also trying to find volunteer opportunities that serve the underserve. Also, I'm waiting to be processed before I can shadow an ortho PA (currently no shadowing experience yet).

It would be nice to get some honest comments/advice just to see if it is worth it to apply or what I can do to improve my chances to getting in. 

Thank you in advance!

• Administrator

Hello everyone!

While all of you are waiting for interviews/to hear back from interviews, I'm preparing for the 2017-2018 cycle. I am very interested in Pacific U of Oregon, and I just want to know if it's worth applying with my stats and experience.

- cGPA: 3.6 (Currently taking med term and Spanish at a CC)

- sGPA: 3.5

- HCE: Will have >1000h by the time CASPA opens. (Currently a medical scribe and I do minimal medical assistant tasks at a private clinic. I rotate working around with a PA, pediatrician, and an internist). 

- Volunteer: 200h combined form my internship, medical orgs, and hospital volunteer

- 2 years of research background at my undergrad specializing in Alzheimer's Disease. 

- Multiple leadership positions in a pre-health organization and involvements with other organizations during my undergrad.

- Right now during my gap year, I'm just working and I volunteer at a hospital during the weekends. I'm also trying to find volunteer opportunities that serve the underserve. Also, I'm waiting to be processed before I can shadow an ortho PA (currently no shadowing experience yet).

It would be nice to get some honest comments/advice just to see if it is worth it to apply or what I can do to improve my chances to getting in. 

Thank you in advance!

Your GPAs are competitive.

Your HCE is not compelling, but sounds like it will meet minimums.

Your volunteering/research/leadership sound pretty middle of the road.

What is the je ne sais quoi that will set you apart from a thousand (literally, and in fact probably more) with similar stats?  Are you willing to go take another year off and go work internationally?  That would be pretty compelling.

Getting good LORs and writing a statement that doesn't sound like every other trendy personal statement will help out, but you need to have a really good answer to the question: "What sets me apart from all the others?"  And that advice applies to pretty much any other selective/sought after PA school as well.

Hey all.. Just wondering if I'm the only one still in this boat.. I haven't heard from like half of my schools and it already seems so late in the cycle.. 

My CASPA was verified June 16th

Great GPAs for undergrad and grad and science alone (3.75+)

Just completed my Master's Degree in HR & Operations

lots of volunteer and shadowing and clinical hours

previous medical school student

JW if others still haven't heard back either... :(

Hey all.. Just wondering if I'm the only one still in this boat.. I haven't heard from like half of my schools and it already seems so late in the cycle.. 

My CASPA was verified June 16th

Great GPAs for undergrad and grad and science alone (3.75+)

Just completed my Master's Degree in HR & Operations

lots of volunteer and shadowing and clinical hours

previous medical school student

JW if others still haven't heard back either... :(

Same here, still waiting to hear from a few schools. 4 months is a long time to wait but I wouldn't worry too much, you submitted on the earlier end of the cycle.

To everyone interviewing next weekend, Oct 22, would anyone like to meet the day before for a drink or dinner? 

- Russ

I would like to meet up! I'm flying into Portland on Friday late afternoon and driving to Hilsboro. Send me a message and we can coordinate some where to meet up

-Luke

To everyone interviewing next weekend, Oct 22, would anyone like to meet the day before for a drink or dinner?

- Russ

Thanks for the invite, however I won't be available to get together Friday evening. Have fun and drink one for me. I look forward to meeting you on Saturday!

Matt

Did anybody else have an issue with the supplemental question submitting early??? I had about 3 minutes left and it submitted on me! I got most of my point across but it submitted mid-sentence. I was pretty disappointed but I let Leah Baldwin know about the situation.

I didn't have that issue with mine. I'm sorry to hear that. I bet that made your stomach drop! I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

Does anyone know what type of questions are asked at the interview? Is it traditional/behavior/ethical or more what type of flower would you be and why questions? I have continually read that the interview is great and laid back but I wonder what questions to expect. 

Thanks!

Archived