Charleston University WV

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks - I'm the current PA student body President at the University of Charleston (not Charleston University haha - common mistake) in WV.  I'm happy to answer any questions you may have regarding our program or life here.  I'm loving it thus far and am excited to meet the folks who end up here for interviews this summer!

Hey and congrats!  It'll be nice to meet you in person here!  So, not to sound generic at all, but this is 100% true for our program: be yourself.  "Canned" responses and being anyone but your genuine self here isn't the way to go.  The program, of course, considers all aspects of a prospective student including grades, essays, etc, but who you are as a person matters just as much, if not more.  Personally, I am coming into PA school as a non-traditional, previously employed IT Consultant with no medical background.  My minor in college was Bio and I knew I'd come back to it somehow, but no idea when/how.  Flash forward 14 years and here I am!  My Science GPA was 3.00 on the DOT haha.  Surely there were students that were more qualified statistically than I was for the program, but I was one of the first people offered a seat.

I came into the interview as I did all business interviews that I was a part of (on both sides of the table).  I presented my true self and sought to ensure that I was a good fit for the program and that, in turn, it was a good fit for me.  I didn't simply want to get into a program, I wanted to go somewhere that appreciated my personality as much as my academic prowess.  UC was the first place I interviewed and I knew immediately upon meeting Mrs. Pam Carden and our office coordinator, Mrs. Thornton, that I could be home here.

Throughout the day of the interview, I remained calm and just presented myself as I would to anyone I was meeting.  I didn't want them to see me as someone spouting off what I thought they wanted to hear...I wanted to say what was on my heart and it was the best course of action.  The result: an amazing class of 30 people that are tight knit and work together to ensure that we all succeed.

Our program has a pass-fail system which removes any and all sense of intra-cohort competition.  As a result, we work hard together and the program itself thrives.  To be a part of that culture, which I'm sure isn't for everyone, is where I was meant to be.  They were only able to see that because I was myself.

Beyond a basic understanding of our program (which is all at http://www.ucwv.edu/PA/), just be yourself!

jw

Thanks for sharing so much information! I'm interviewing in the morning of the fist session in July and it will be my first PA interview ever! I'm super nervous, but really excited. My passion to become a PA stems from my desire to become a provider for the medically underserved in rural communities. I hope this doesn't come off as a "canned" answer, since it really is what I want to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks - I'm the current PA student body President at the University of Charleston (not Charleston University haha - common mistake) in WV.  I'm happy to answer any questions you may have regarding our program or life here.  I'm loving it thus far and am excited to meet the folks who end up here for interviews this summer!

Hello! Thanks for answering questions. Can you explain how the multiple mini interviews and group interviews work, or how to prepare for them?

Archived