Your PA grades and GPA?!  I highly doubt it.  

All the jobs I've ever had have confirmed licensing and everything else was about experience, personality (gotta fit with team/employer culture), ability, etc.  I've literally never had anyone ask about grades or GPA or how I did in specific classes, etc.  I can't imagine PA jobs are any different.  Grades/GPA do not necessarily translate to anything useful in the workplace.  If you passed PANCE, you know what you need to know.

Does this hold true even for the more competitive specialties?

What can one expect employers look for, when trying to differentiate between candidates with little to no experience apply for a particular specialty?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

References.  From your rotations.  Grades aren't going to tell anyone anything close to what your preceptor(s) or faculty can tell them.

Caveat:  PA-S here, not a PA, but this is not that different from other lines of work ... and it's what my PA mentors have told me.  

Does this hold true even for the more competitive specialties?

What can one expect employers look for, when trying to differentiate between candidates with little to no experience apply for a particular specialty?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, if you are looking to go into a specialty, try to do a rotation in said specialty.  Or consider a residency.  Otherwise it will come down to experience - however little that is - and, again, references.  Are you teachable?  Are you a fast learner?  Are you motivated?  Are you a good/hard worker?  

When it comes to competitive specialties, I get the impression that the folks with little PA experience that get those jobs have some kind of related experience.  New grads don't often walk off the graduation stage into a highly competitive specialty with no prior experience in some way.

I just finished interview season....

GPA never came up. It's listed on my CV, but no one ever mentioned anything (I consider it average....about a 3.5)

References are a big deal. People want to know what you bring to the table as an applicant. What contributions can you make to the practice? how do you interact with patients? That type of stuff is very important, IMO.

Showing an interest in whatever field you are applying for is always good. When I interviewed for ED positions, the fact that I had done 3 ED rotations was a big talking point. Show a genuine interest in the job and specifially the hospital/office/practice you are interviewing with.

Interviewers assume if you have that PA-C status you're smart. I've never heard of any emphasis on grades. Employers care about your experience, work ethic, interest in the field etc. Also if you can network with someone at the site that's definitely a bonus. Doing research in the field you're interested in is definitely a plus too. It shows you're interested and committed to the field.

Don't you want to ask about salaries, sunnyn? - just kidding!

No, I don't think research experience has any impact on finding a job as a PA.

I agree with the advice above - when hiring new grads, employers are looking for

1. prior paid clinical experience

2. prior experience in the specialty, on rotations or otherwise

3. references/personal contacts

4. demonstrated enthusiasm for the specialty - possibly/maybe a research project would fit in here

5. prior unrelated work experience/life experience

6. personality/fit with the work environment

in roughly approximately that order. Just my opinion of course, but I have a lot of experience with hiring people (past career, I was a manager). Hiring came down to finding someone with three qualities: Talent/aptitude; enthusiasm/dedication; and experience.

Good luck with your search.

For the love of.... Stop responding to his/her questions. This person has been posting redundant questions with the only common denominator being how to make the most/get the best position with doing as little work as possible. This person has been posting for a long time and each time his questions pose no value. I've been sucked in before, but learned quickly. On top of this no one has a clue whether this cat is a pre-pa or just trolling/lurking.

Just please stop. That is all.

For the love of.... Stop responding to his/her questions. This person has been posting redundant questions with the only common denominator being how to make the most/get the best position with doing as little work as possible. This person has been posting for a long time and each time his questions pose no value. I've been sucked in before, but learned quickly. On top of this no one has a clue whether this cat is a pre-pa or just trolling/lurking.

Just please stop. That is all.

Is asking for opinions something wrong? I don't think so.  I really don't know when and where did I do this....."I've been sucked in before, but learned quickly."  And in what way?  By asking current different opinions?  It is quite disheartening to hear such comments.  Anyway, I wish you the best in your endeavors.  

• Administrator

Is asking for opinions something wrong? I don't think so.  I really don't know when and where did I do this....."I've been sucked in before, but learned quickly."  And in what way?  By asking current different opinions?  It is quite disheartening to hear such comments.  Anyway, I wish you the best in your endeavors.  

Sunnyn,

While you have remained polite, the above posters are spot on that you appear to have a sole focus on how to make money.  Without going into every single post (how to get in to schools, which specialties pay the most, etc.) you have had what appears to many posters to be a single-minded pursuit of making money in the PA profession. You also have asked a number of questions that have been previously discussed, and have never, to the best of my memory, contributed anything to these forums other than asking (directly or indirectly) about how to make money.

Many, including myself, find such a line of questioning somewhere between clueless and offensive.  As I've written elsewhere, I left a very well paying IT security career to treat patients, and have intentionally restructured my family medicine job so I get less money for more time per patient.  From my perspective, your questions display an insensitivity to the patients we serve, but I'm only telling this to you now because of your aggressively clueless response to the above complaints. What you should be hearing from the other posters' complaints is that you are violating the social expectations and community norms by how you post.  Oh, to be sure, there's no rule that says "Don't ask questions in a way that comes across as a money-grubbing mercenary", but each new thread you post does seem to be perceived that way, doesn't it?  People aren't just skipping past your posts, they're taking the time to express their displeasure with the single-minded conduct of your interactions here.

As I did previously, I again encourage you to stop doing what you're doing.  I think it would be an improvement if I never again saw a thread from you that gave anyone the impression that you are looking to maximize your income.  If you have interests within the PA profession that DO NOT involve compensation in any way, I would encourage you to explore them.

But I want to specifically call out your questioning of the complainers as inappropriate as well.  There comes a point at which sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from trolling (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke) and you're pretty much there.  This is a second public warning that you need to take the other forum members' criticisms to heart, and if you legitimately can't understand them, then to cease posting until you are able to.

Sunnyn,

While you have remained polite, the above posters are spot on that you appear to have a sole focus on how to make money.  Without going into every single post (how to get in to schools, which specialties pay the most, etc.) you have had what appears to many posters to be a single-minded pursuit of making money in the PA profession. You also have asked a number of questions that have been previously discussed, and have never, to the best of my memory, contributed anything to these forums other than asking (directly or indirectly) about how to make money.

Many, including myself, find such a line of questioning somewhere between clueless and offensive.  As I've written elsewhere, I left a very well paying IT security career to treat patients, and have intentionally restructured my family medicine job so I get less money for more time per patient.  From my perspective, your questions display an insensitivity to the patients we serve, but I'm only telling this to you now because of your aggressively clueless response to the above complaints. What you should be hearing from the other posters' complaints is that you are violating the social expectations and community norms by how you post.  Oh, to be sure, there's no rule that says "Don't ask questions in a way that comes across as a money-grubbing mercenary", but each new thread you post does seem to be perceived that way, doesn't it?  People aren't just skipping past your posts, they're taking the time to express their displeasure with the single-minded conduct of your interactions here.

As I did previously, I again encourage you to stop doing what you're doing.  I think it would be an improvement if I never again saw a thread from you that gave anyone the impression that you are looking to maximize your income.  If you have interests within the PA profession that DO NOT involve compensation in any way, I would encourage you to explore them.

But I want to specifically call out your questioning of the complainers as inappropriate as well.  There comes a point at which sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistinguishable from trolling (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke) and you're pretty much there.  This is a second public warning that you need to take the other forum members' criticisms to heart, and if you legitimately can't understand them, then to cease posting until you are able to.

Dear Rev rovin:

Thanks for your comment.  

People on this forum post questions asking about guidance about salaries, jobs, expectations, in different specialties all the time, yet there have already been many, many posts previously made about them in the past, which can also be easily researched, without even posting for newer, fresher, current opinions.  

Also, there have been posts about school life, etc made in the immediate past....but people, always, keep asking...similar types of questions (directly and indirectly).  At times, people might post similar experiences when dealing with difficult patients (which have also been discussed in the past), or even their own experiences about their respective individual practices.  People also change specialties....and express their feelings and ask for similarly asked guidance (that have many times been addressed (directly or indirectly) in the past as well). That's what keeps the forum active as well.  

I feel it is quite wrong that one or some individuals have joined as a group for their pleasure to make such disheartening comments, and then keep going on with it, and encourage others that way to build a momentum.  I have never done this to anyone.....It is not nice to do this to anyone.  I have not hurt anyone....but feel very hurt today.

Also, if you don't mind me saying patient care is not being compromised, and knowing what the profession entails as a whole is a good thing to know.  Everyone should be free to ask for as many opinions about a topic or topics (when they stumble upon something) as they like...several it might be....before making an informed decision that best suits them.  

Many people at times in different places have different opinions, at different times about job responsibilities, salary expectations, work life, etc.  If a particular topic or topics is something one asks guidance for fresher opinions, I believe it is not a bad thing to do.

With every post...one learns a bit more (from the experience of Old as well as Newer members).  

Other forums on the internet have numerous posts about similar topics being posted on a daily basis.  Yet they don't seem to discourage someone from posting about a particular topic or topics of guidance.     

At the end, we should all think more positively.....and always try to lend a helping hand to others, and not discourage guidance, repeated it might be.       

That again...what keeps the forum active as well and encourages others to join.    

I am thankful to have learn't about a bit more about your past today....and how you yourself have molded your future.  I hope I can use this little bit of knowledge of how and why you choose family med as a specialty above others....in making an informed decision that best suits me in the near future.  

I would also like to further thank you for all the efforts you make to answer many of the posts on this forum....repeated questions (answered in the past) they might be about various issues dealing with the profession.  You are doing a great service to many.

At the end, we are all here to learn (in a positive manner) from each other......

Wishing you a very wonderful weekend ahead!

No Sir....this is wrong. You have misinterpreted it. It does not in anyway mean anything like that.

Once again, you need to respond about your background if you want people to take you seriously. You have asked questions about residency and obtaining jobs... Formulating differential diagnosis... Best textbooks for each specialty and board exams... And pay rates. And for all we know you haven't even matriculated into PA school (I'm 100% sure you haven't). So understand when people say you are getting WAY ahead of yourself.

Once again, you need to respond about your background if you want people to take you seriously. You have asked questions about residency and obtaining jobs... Formulating differential diagnosis... Best textbooks for each specialty and board exams... And pay rates. And for all we know you haven't even matriculated into PA school (I'm 100% sure you haven't). So understand when people say you are getting WAY ahead of yourself.

Thanks for your comments....and also pointing out about various issues/topics I may been researching and asked for some guidance in the past.

Part of the problem may lie....in not taking someone seriously.  Which is wrong to do to anyone.  No matter what stage some one might be at....it is not wrong for anyone to learn/know a bit more about a possible future.  

Also, as a side note....it becomes a little bit difficult for someone to ask guidance for detailed questions about various issues....unless they are part of or even interested in the medical profession.

Thanks for your comments....and also pointing out about various issues/topics I may been researching and asked for some guidance in the past.

Part of the problem may lie....in not taking someone seriously.  Which is wrong to do to anyone.  No matter what stage some one might be at....it is not wrong for anyone to learn/know a bit more about a possible future.  

Also, as a side note....it becomes a little bit difficult for someone to ask guidance for detailed questions about various issues....unless they are part of or even interested in the medical profession.

I think the issue, at least for me, is that you appear to be getting ALL of your information from this forum with excessive questions.  It feels like you haven't taken the initiative to do some digging in the numerous PA resources that are out there before you come here for detailed, personal responses.

Forums are a great resource and I know we all appreciate having PA forum to read, comment, and question but some information is readily available with a little personal exploration.  For example, things like salary are reported in the AAPA salary report.  This thread specifically is really general information about how to get a job (applicable to PA jobs, but general none the less).  I'm just a PA student but I feel like anyone who has ever applied, interviewed, or looked for a job would have the common sense to suss out the answers to your questions.

I guess what I'm saying is this forum is great, but shouldn't necessarily be your first place to get information.  Come here armed with all the knowledge you can possibly find elsewhere.

Wow.

I will tell you this... If you have any chance of obtaining your perception of a career as a PA I would recommend that you start by answering a question without the "beating around the bush" passive responses you present. Trust me, adcoms (who are the gatekeepers for PA programs) will appreciate it. Once again, you have failed to acknowledge the reasoning behind your questions. To make this simple...

1. Are you currently in high school? Yes or no

2. If no, are you in college? Yes or no

3. Are you currently preparing for matriculation into a PA program? Yes or no

4. If yes, where are you at in the process?

5. Are you trolling? Yes or no

6. If you answered yes to #5 could you please redirect your questions to some "other" forum/website such as "yahoo answers" or similar or good ol fashion Google/Wikipedia.

You want to know the details of people's professional life and how they got to where they are and how you can get there, then maybe you should provide a little detail yourself... Out of respect more than anything.

I think the issue, at least for me, is that you appear to be getting ALL of your information from this forum with excessive questions.  It feels like you haven't taken the initiative to do some digging in the numerous PA resources that are out there before you come here for detailed, personal responses.

Forums are a great resource and I know we all appreciate having PA forum to read, comment, and question but some information is readily available with a little personal exploration.  For example, things like salary are reported in the AAPA salary report.  This thread specifically is really general information about how to get a job (applicable to PA jobs, but general none the less).  I'm just a PA student but I feel like anyone who has ever applied, interviewed, or looked for a job would have the common sense to suss out the answers to your questions.

I guess what I'm saying is this forum is great, but shouldn't necessarily be your first place to get information.  Come here armed with all the knowledge you can possibly find elsewhere.

Thanks for your comment.  I appreciate your words.  I am grateful to everyone who has taken time to respond positively to anything I have ever asked guidance for.  

People I have seen ask simple to complex questions all the time from Pre-PA, PA school, to Post-PA issues, depending upon how they perceive a particular topic, whilst others are looking to strengthen their understanding from knowledge gained from previously acquired responses.  

You are right there are other resources out there as well....and I am mindful of that. 

OK, I call troll. Sorry, sunnyn. Many people have given you helpful advice, and all you do is take and take and take. And make very vague comments.

At this point in time, I agree that if you want help or advice, you owe us at least some idea of where you actually are in this process (so we can help you better). I disagree that all knowledge is useful to someone not yet part of the process. In my teaching, in my interactions with patients and colleagues, I always take into account who they are and where they are coming from, so I can better help and communicate with them.

If you don't share any information about yourself with us, then you're a troll by definition.

over and out. I will take the advice of one of the posters above - I won't be responding to any more of your posts.

OK, I call troll. Sorry, sunnyn. Many people have given you helpful advice, and all you do is take and take and take. And make very vague comments.

At this point in time, I agree that if you want help or advice, you owe us at least some idea of where you actually are in this process (so we can help you better). I disagree that all knowledge is useful to someone not yet part of the process. In my teaching, in my interactions with patients and colleagues, I always take into account who they are and where they are coming from, so I can better help and communicate with them.

If you don't share any information about yourself with us, then you're a troll by definition.

over and out. I will take the advice of one of the posters above - I won't be responding to any more of your posts.

I had kindly asked for some guidance....It is quite ok.  And it was for a particular topic I was interested in learning more about.  

Anyone, should be free to ask questions whatever stage they might be at....one should never restrict knowledge/guidance to anyone just because they may have not attained a particular stage.  That would be simply wrong to do.

Asking questions is never wrong.  It should always be encouraged.  

One should never be labelled a troll? for asking questions.  How insensitive that is!

Knowing more, allows one to carve a better path and plan better.  Knowledge or guidance....should never be restricted to anyone simply because of their status.

If I can answer to someone's post....I may try to do so.  It will be my choice.

I don't mind, if you don't respond...I have never forced you for any guidance. 

You believe you are doing nothing wrong, and yet multiple people have overtly expressed an issue with how you present yourself on this forum.  Perhaps it is time for you to start listening, if for no other reason than I doubt this method that you use to communicate is limited to only your online life.

Archived