2016-2017 Application cycle

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats everyone who received interviews!! If you wouldn't mind, could someone list their admission stats? I'm curious as to where I stand in comparison and my chances of getting an interview. Thanks in advance!

cGPA: 3.59

sGPA: 3.65

GRE verbal: 163 quant: 155 writing 4.5

PCE: 3,200 hours

Volunteer: 300

Congrats everyone who received interviews!! If you wouldn't mind, could someone list their admission stats? I'm curious as to where I stand in comparison and my chances of getting an interview. Thanks in advance!

cGPA: 3.86

sci GPA: 3.86

GRE verbal: 162 quant: 161 writing: 5.5

HCE: ~3500 (~1000 of which I would consider "patient care experience" over "healthcare experience")

• 2 weeks later...

I received an interview invite today for Friday, October 7. I'm excited and looking forward to meeting everyone that's there! :)

And just an FYI- my application was complete July 27th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you mind sharing your stats? Just to see if I have a chance :)

Hi everyone,

I'm a current first-year at Northwestern. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to me (if the answer is personal in nature, I will message you directly). I will do my best to respond, but I'm also currently procrastinating on studying for my cardiology exam. :-P

Please note, I am only speaking about my experiences and my understandings of the program and program admissions, NOT on behalf of the program. After all, I'm just 3 months into the program...

As an aside, don't get too hung up on numbers and stats. Last year after being accepted, someone told me they didn't understand why they didn't get an interview because they beat my stats in every category. In my perspective, the one great aspect to NU's admissions process is that they look at your application as a whole, not one specific statistic. Your stats do not make up your whole application, just a portion of it. Obviously, you want the strongest application you can for your submission, but the application package review is definitely more on the +/– grading, rather than the idea of absolute cut-offs for admission (meaning a 3.3 GPA with 8,000 hours of PCE could be seen as competitive against a 3.8 GPA with 1,000 hours of PCE).

Having gone through the hellish experience of the CASPA application cycle last year, I understand the anxiety over it. Good luck to everyone applying, and please remember that if you do not get accepted into a specific program, it does not mean you will not be a good PA. It means that someone on the admissions committee decided that the program was not a good fit for you, and there are multiple variables in that decision.

Cheers!

Just finished the interview today, according to Kevin, only 5/30 seats have been filled up. Great news for everyone who's still waiting to hear back, they stagger the seats all the way up to January.

Wow, that is good news, thank you for sharing! And congrats on your int :) 

Hi everyone,

I'm a current first-year at Northwestern. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to me (if the answer is personal in nature, I will message you directly). I will do my best to respond, but I'm also currently procrastinating on studying for my cardiology exam. :-P

What would you say are a few take home messages for doing well in the interview? Are there any specific characteristics or talking points that they are looking for or other nuggets of wisdom you could share?

What would you say are a few take home messages for doing well in the interview? Are there any specific characteristics or talking points that they are looking for or other nuggets of wisdom you could share?

Regarding the interview, there is nothing about the day that I can say that hasn't been said already in previous comments or threads on the NU admission program. The interview day was fairly relaxed, even as an interview candidate. The most important aspect, and this is for all interviews you go on for PA schools, is to be yourself and to truly remember that you are interviewing the program as much as the program is interviewing you. They get to say the first yes, and you get to make the final decision, but you still need to choose the program that works best for you. I'm not sure what is (and is not) common knowledge about the interview day, but I believe the interview day provides you a view into how the program functions and what you can expect from the program. You will want to understand what PBL is, and how that component will factor into your education and training as a future PA. Know the mission statement of the program, and be ready to answer potential questions related to the mission statement or related to PBL. PBL is a unique experience, so having an idea of how the PBL process works will assist you in asking appropriate questions that will show you have done your due diligence as it relates to the interview day.

All of that said, I don't know if that is the equation to "doing well" in the interview, but it will assist you in making the appropriate choices when it comes time to do that. Again, the interview is the program's chance to get to know you. Be as much yourself as you can be (and I know how cliché and annoying it is to hear that as an answer...but it is so true).

Archived