2016-2017 Application cycle

Hi! I'm wondering if you could tell us a little about the clinical rotations available at Emory. I can't seem to find a lot about them on the website!

Thanks in advance!

As Jake mentioned, one of my reasons for choosing Emory was the amount of clinical rotations we get.  We have the 7 mandatory rotations listed above, and 3 electives of 5 weeks each (1 of which can be split into 2 shorter rotations, so you can have 4 electives).  For the mandatory rotations we got to write down preferences for *some* of the sites, but there is absolutely no guarantee we will get any of them, previous classes experience has gone many ways.   The mandatory sites are specific to in patient vs out patient.   For example, pediatrics is an outpatient rotation (other schools allow peds ER to count for this, they do not here).  From what I have heard of other programs, we seem to fall midline with how much our program takes our desires into account.  Though compared to many other places, the resources Emory has for rotation sites is unparalleled.  Virtually any specialty you can think of you'll be able to do an elective in.  

We are mandated to have 2 or 3 rotations in rural areas outside of metro Atlanta, but anytime they send us on an away rotation there is housing provided (there are a very small number of other away rotations we can choose, that we have to find housing for, but they will only place students there who are able to find their own housing/ from the area, basically you won't have to pay for housing on an away rotation unless it is something you specifically select)

Rotations start in November, we find out our first location next week!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks  TX2GA Jake! That information is helpful. I'm glad there will be more information on this during the interview. I'll be there 10/17.

And thanks fakingpatience! It's great to hear that there is so much variety and some level of preference :) Good luck with your first rotation coming up!!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone requested to be hosted by a student during the interview? I did so over a week ago and have not heard anything back yet.

Hi Jaygaz

I know interview time can be incredibly stressful for you guys, and you want to get all your ducks in a row (I hated having anything unknown when I was applying!), but please be patient with us. The hosting for interviews is handled entirely by students, and we've had a full few weeks, with another final this Friday. If you PM me your full name, I can check on the list and see what's going on.

I have over 40,000 hours of HCE will that take the place of a not so great gre score? I have good grades and a good gpa. Any advice would be helpful?

Hi there.

It would be hard for anyone here to give you a great answer without much more information, but what I can say for sure is that tons of HCE can't hurt you. I came in with a similar number of hours but I also had a decent GRE and GPA scores (320 and 3.54 Cum Sci GPA).  My understanding is that they tend to look at the whole picture but they still have to sort the applications by something and I honestly don't know what they prioritize in that process. 

Sorry I can't provide more help, thanks for asking though. 

The group interview isnt as intimidating as it sounds. I know a lot of people say they make it so relaxing and you think yeah right, but they really do. Everyone has their own questions and there is 3 interviewers. Its very personalized, they want to know you as a person and not what you know about heathcare or whatever. They go over your app thoroughly and pick out things that interest them and ask about that.

hey guys, I agree with meganb125. I was part of the first interview group. From the previous cycles that I've read on here as part of my preparation, it's no lie. The interview was really welcoming and non-threatening. I was nervous going in but it went away as I met more faculty and students who were all very nice. Don't over prepare. Also, take advantage of staying with students that can be arranged with their office. It helped me calm down. If anything, make sure you study your supplemental and personal statement from caspa because the questions they will ask you will be from that. Think of questions that they could ask from your personal statements. If you guys have any further questions, feel free to ask! Good luck!

To any current students: I've been accepted to a different school with a January start date, but Emory is my first choice (my alma mater, I live/work in the area). I know Emory does interviews in October, November, January and February. 

I submitted by application and it was complete and verified by the end of May, but I haven't heard anything other than "we have your application and it's in review." 

Is it considered bad taste/unprofessional to email them to let them know that I have a january start date but would undoubtedly attend Emory if I was given an interview/acceptance before January? 

Or should I just leave it be and hope that I get a november interview invite? 

I feel like my stats are fairly competitive, 3.68 GPA/sGPA, 2600 hours PCE (more since my app was submitted). If it counts for anything, out of the 6 schools I applied to, I've gotten invites/acceptances to 2, and 3 more interviews that I did not attend (including GW).

To any current students: I've been accepted to a different school with a January start date, but Emory is my first choice (my alma mater, I live/work in the area). I know Emory does interviews in October, November, January and February. 

I submitted by application and it was complete and verified by the end of May, but I haven't heard anything other than "we have your application and it's in review." 

Is it considered bad taste/unprofessional to email them to let them know that I have a january start date but would undoubtedly attend Emory if I was given an interview/acceptance before January? 

Or should I just leave it be and hope that I get a november interview invite? 

I feel like my stats are fairly competitive, 3.68 GPA/sGPA, 2600 hours PCE (more since my app was submitted). If it counts for anything, out of the 6 schools I applied to, I've gotten invites/acceptances to 2, and 3 more interviews that I did not attend (including GW).

I dont think it would be unprofessional to just call and ask what the status of your application is and explain your situation

I have an interview coming up, I know they call you if you are accepted, do y'all know if they call you or email you if you get waitlisted or don't get in!?

They call regardless of the decision, out of respect (which is pretty amazing, imo!). Good luck on your interview!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived