Just because we only see the bad offers on this forum

I feel like people who have good contracts never post to this forum because they know that they've got a decent deal. Which makes sense. They don't need the advice. But I feel that it lowers everyone's expectations, encourages folks to take crap offers, and that's bad for all of us. I graduate in august (background is 6yrs ems) and recently signed a contract, which isn't much different than most of my cohort.

Urgent care. 38hrs a week. Minimum of 6 months of mentoring by an experienced provider, and then after that, always at least one doc on sight. Medical director said he didnt want me seeing any more than 2pts an hour for at least 1-2yrs. No nights. No call. Base 110k with a generous rvu based bonus (the medical director and all of the PAs I spoke with said that the pa/nps roughly double their base after a couple of years experience)

4wks vacation, 72hrs sick time, 9 paid holidays, 2 floating holidays, 1wk cme and 3k, 10k quality incentive bonus (said about 2/3 get it). They pay all lice sing fees/dea and 2 professional memberships of my choice. Stellar health/dental/vision/disability/retirement etc. Within biking distance from my house.

Probably other stuff I'm forgetting, but you get the point. If they can afford to pay me that, and STILL make money off of me...... don't sell yourselves short....

So were you given this contract right off the bat, or did you have to go back and forth and negotiate this amount? 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So were you given this contract right off the bat, or did you have to go back and forth and negotiate this amount?

That's what they offer all of their PAs and NPs. Classmate just got an offer from another organization in the area, also UC, that was significantly better than mine.

That's what they offer all of their PAs and NPs. Classmate just got an offer from another organization in the area, also UC, that was significantly better than mine.

Wow. Even in the new area I'm moving to (with way more job opportunities) and as an experienced PA, I got nowhere near the offer that you got.

New Grad/Central California/Family Practice offer

-Starting base salary of $101,000

-CME allowance of $2,000 with 5 paid days off for CME

-Malpractice Premiums fully covered (Federal Torts Claim Coverage, Occurrence coverage, Tail coverage)

-Health, Dental and Vision insurance ($140.00/month to insure your entire family)

-Prescription Drug Plan

-Life Insurance ($150,000 Employee coverage paid by employer)

-Voluntary Life insurance (buy additional insurance for you and your dependents)

-Long term disability insurance (2/3 of your income up to $6000 per month if you become disabled and cannot work)

-Profit sharing plan (10% of your base pay will be contributed by employer to retirement plan)

-Performance based incentive plan  

-Tax Shelter Annuities (403b) – (employee funded retirement plan)

-Flex spending accounts for Healthcare & Childcare (save tax free up to $5000 for Childcare and $3000 medical care)

-10 paid holidays per year (9 days offices are closed, 1 day personal holiday)

-Paid time off (15 days/year)

-Paid sick time (12 days/year)

-Bereavement Leave (3 days per member)

-Jury Duty – (up to 10 paid days per case)

-Federal and State Loan Repayment Eligible Health Center ($25k/year) [so far all employees have received loan repayment who have had eligible loans]

-UpToDate Subscription

-Reimbursement of annual renewal fees for:

*License

*DEA

*1 Professional Membership Due

*Specialty Board Certification

40 hrs/week scheduled/5 days/no call. Shift differential +20% after 5pm or weekends. Minimum requirement to do one evening shift and one weekend shift per month

agree with above. there are some places I would not work for any amount of money.

Are you saying that the higher the base salary that a new graduate can pull in correlates to how crappy an organization is because there would be no other reason a new grad would be able to get such an offer? Seems how we are in the same state, would you mind sharing what those "some places" might be? There are only so many hospital systems out here in WA and all... Unless your taking about those chain Urgent cares that are setting up shop in a strip mall in between a super supplements and a trader joes..

Salaries cannot be posted without accompanying region/state/city. IMHO.

Northwest region/Washington state/Tacoma &surrounding area.

Setting: Urgent Care

Previous HCE- 13 years in EMS.

6 months in fellowship. Mentor is with you during this time. You cycle to different specialties (Peds ER, occ med, ENT, ect) once a month. Additional training with medical coders to ensure you learn how to accurately code in EMR. During fellowship period you have no expected number of patients in a day. Participate in journal club and once a week attend presentations from other specialties.

Annual Salary after fellowship: 129k

Salary during fellowship: 63,000

-Schedule consists of 14 12 hour shifts with the possibility to work 8 or 10 hour shifts if wanted.

-240 hours Paid Time Off (includes recognized holidays) and 48 hours Extended Illness Time.

-Professional Dues and CME Allowance – up to $1,500.00 and 40 hours CME per calendar year.

-5% of salary as an annual bonus

-Reimbursement of Washington State PA licensure, DEA fees, hospital dues and national certification/recertification fees

-Malpractice insurance. Tail included

-401k with match/flex spending/long term disability

-Great benefit package with minimal cost to cover family (not really needed as my wife has great insurance)

-Generous RVU bonus structure.

I have the offer in front of me. This is the best offer out of the four I have gotten. I will be taking this. I like the educational component and the ability to ease into the pace.

I guess I could try to negotiate some more CME?

New Grad/Central California/Family Practice offer

-Starting base salary of $101,000 [/size]

-CME allowance of $2,000 with 5 paid days off for CME [/size]

-Malpractice Premiums fully covered (Federal Torts Claim Coverage, Occurrence coverage, Tail coverage) [/size]

-Health, Dental and Vision insurance ($140.00/month to insure your entire family) [/size]

-Prescription Drug Plan [/size]

-Life Insurance ($150,000 Employee coverage paid by employer) [/size]

-Voluntary Life insurance (buy additional insurance for you and your dependents) [/size]

-Long term disability insurance (2/3 of your income up to $6000 per month if you become disabled and cannot work) [/size]

-Profit sharing plan (10% of your base pay will be contributed by employer to retirement plan) [/size]

-Performance based incentive plan  [/size]

-Tax Shelter Annuities (403b) – (employee funded retirement plan) [/size]

-Flex spending accounts for Healthcare & Childcare (save tax free up to $5000 for Childcare and $3000 medical care) [/size]

-10 paid holidays per year (9 days offices are closed, 1 day personal holiday) [/size]

-Paid time off (15 days/year)[/size]

-Paid sick time (12 days/year) [/size]

-Bereavement Leave (3 days per member) [/size]

-Jury Duty – (up to 10 paid days per case) [/size]

-Federal and State Loan Repayment Eligible Health Center ($25k/year) [so far all employees have received loan repayment who have had eligible loans][/size]

-UpToDate Subscription[/size]

-Reimbursement of annual renewal fees for: [/size]

*License[/size]

*DEA[/size]

*1 Professional Membership Due [/size]

*Specialty Board Certification

40 hrs/week scheduled/5 days/no call. Shift differential +20% after 5pm or weekends. Minimum requirement to do one evening shift and one weekend shift per month[/size]

Yeah, it must be locational.

I have 3 years+ FM experience and my offer is nowhere near as good as this. Though, I'm looking in the Phoenix metro area. In fact, none of the offers I've seen are close to this (even in specialties). After meeting other PAs in the area, I'm realizing that my offer is actually pretty good (for this particular area).

Though, when I applied for a pain management job in the central coast, I was offered $135k with benefits that were similar to yours (don't remember off the top of my head).

Did you mean "would you mind telling us what city are you in?" Or did you mean to tell me what I may and may not post? Because that will influence my answer.

I meant a salary without location omits key context. A new grad offer of $110,000 is much different in Cali or PNW than a $110,000 offer in a Midwestern city that isn't, say, more upscale or Chicago, etc., for example.

It does seem unrewarding to do something for so many years and not receive a better salary. And, yes, I have kids and bills to pay. Not in this for millions but would like some hierarchy and reward for busting my butt and being good at what I do. 

Said my peace............................

You admittedly took a lower paying job to escape administrative hassles, so it sounds like you have yourself to blame in this case.  No offense intended.

I work in a semi-rural area in the south as a hospitalist in my first job after fellowship making about $150k + good benefits.  These jobs are out there, especially if you are willing to do locums. Don't sell yourselves short.

agree. I'm currently looking at a full time 120 hr/month rural ED position that will pay me close to what I make working a lot more hours. it's time for me to stop working > 200 hrs/month....

I work in a semi-rural area in the south as a hospitalist in my first job after fellowship making about $150k + good benefits.  These jobs are out there, especially if you are willing to do locums. Don't sell yourselves short.

agree. I'm currently looking at a full time 120 hr/month rural ED position that will pay me close to what I make working a lot more hours. it's time for me to stop working > 200 hrs/month....

I think the key here is "rural".

I never really understood what everybody says here about the difficulty in finding good jobs with fair pay and benefits in metro areas, but I certainly do now.

If I wasn't single and desiring of an SO, I would definitely go rural. Hands down.

• Administrator
If I wasn't single and desiring of an SO, I would definitely go rural. Hands down.

There are good spouses to be found everywhere, and it's not like top-quality available potential mates are just growing on trees in any population density.  Remember, the perfect mate is also looking for YOU. :-)

The funny thing is it's not my spouse that's keeping me from going rural.... it's my kids!  Once they are grown and gone (~7y) my wife and I will be in a much better situation to seek rural opportunities.

There are good spouses to be found everywhere, and it's not like top-quality available potential mates are just growing on trees in any population density.  Remember, the perfect mate is also looking for YOU. :-)

The funny thing is it's not my spouse that's keeping me from going rural.... it's my kids!  Once they are grown and gone (~7y) my wife and I will be in a much better situation to seek rural opportunities.

I lived in a semi-rural area during my military time. There were a lot of decent to good jobs (with high pay and good benefits) in the area, but there were simply not many good options as far as potential wives.

My view is that if you're in a metro area where there are a lot of single professionals, you're more likely to find someone that you like that also likes you.

I lived in a semi-rural area during my military time. There were a lot of decent to good jobs (with high pay and good benefits) in the area, but there were simply not many good options as far as potential wives.

My view is that if you're in a metro area where there are a lot of single professionals, you're more likely to find someone that you like that also likes you.

Maybe you should consider locums..  You can live wherever you want and work somewhere else for whatever stretches fit your schedule.  Travel and temporary housing is paid for by the locums company.  Your pay will be much better, you can say 'see ya' if the job sucks, and you still have a home base with plenty of ladies around.

Maybe you should consider locums..  You can live wherever you want and work somewhere else for whatever stretches fit your schedule.  Travel and temporary housing is paid for by the locums company.  Your pay will be much better, you can say 'see ya' if the job sucks, and you still have a home base with plenty of ladies around.

I may consider that in the near future. I'd like to get a year or 2 of civilian practice under my belt before making that jump.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the key here is "rural".

I never really understood what everybody says here about the difficulty in finding good jobs with fair pay and benefits in metro areas, but I certainly do now.

Dude.....country girls!

Very rural ED, approx 10 patients per day.  $85/hour for 72 hour shifts (plus 4 hours driving each way).  Paid via 1099, so I get to deduct business costs (travel mileage, home office, etc), and I gotta pay extra 7% self-employment tax, and absolutely no benefits (I'm retired military so don't need them).

But that gives me about 10 days straight off every 2 weeks, so I pick up extra shifts elsewhere.

Urban ED I work occasionally in is $70/hour W-2.  I'm part time so no benefits, but full time benefits there would be good Med/Dental/Life/Disability, 3 weeks PTO, $2K CME.  10-12 hour shifts there, mostly evening. 

LOL try "meth girls"....because that's mostly what's left in more rural areas.

have to agree with maverick. I'm from the rural country, and the girls who stay and don't leave at age 18-21, usually aren't the pick of the litter. There are exceptions, but a intelligent woman who is attractive in the heartland will almost always be locked down by age 25. Nearing 100% probability.

Archived