Savannah Class that starts Jan 2013

I think 2 semesters of Biology is pretty standard, at least for every school I've looked at. It's annoying that every school has different pre-reqs, but the ones that are most consistent are 2 bio and 2 chem. You should look into taking 2nd semester bio at a community college or something.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Madis, I agree with dnc. Just take second bio at a community college, I am about to finish mine this semester (Btw, bio II= 90% plants= not very interesting).

But, with application cycles getting more and more competitive, I think there will be movement from many schools in this direction to make pre reqs look similar to med school pre reqs. That's just my opinion though.

FYI: Open House 4-20-12

• 1 month later...

South University in Savannah is taking applications as of April 18th. CASPA states that the hardcopy application will not be sent until June, but I emailed South. They said to apply as early as possible. Interviews start in June (before the applications are mailed) meaning they must look at the application online. I was emailed yesterday about missing a Biology class so they must be looking at my online application (Long story short, I went to the open house in April for the PA program. I was told then that Gen Bio II (or genetics, molecular bio, or cell bio) were not required, but now they are telling me that they are.) They also stated that one missing thing will not keep you from acceptance in the program. I wasn't sure if I had enough volunteer hours and wanted to possibly wait to get more before submitting my application. Admissions told me that you can email them an update of your shadowing/volunteer hours at a later date, but to apply as early as possible. If you filled out a CASPA application last year, you have to go back in and refill it, but make sure to do it as a previous applicant. They will save most of your data, but your references will have to be resent. They claim to accept applications until August (last year they extended to September) but you need to make sure that your application is verified and ready to go before the closing date. It will take more time to verify and mail it, especially if there is a greater number of applicants applying at the same time. I would give myself at least 2 weeks to verify, meaning submit the application in mid-July, no later. They stated in the open house that interviews could go until late October and that getting an interview is a very good thing. They interview about two people per spot in the program, so approximately 120-140 applicants will get an interview. Good luck!

Make sure they will accept that Bio II. The school I graduated from did not offer Biology I and Biology II, we had Botany and Zoology and they refuse to accept my Botany class. I would check with them just in case because they have given me so many problems about this class.

Caiallen, even though they say it isn't rewuired, I would think you would want to have as much of the criteria satisfied as possible in order to stay competitive. ( If you and someone else have the same exact stats/interview abilities but other person has BIO II, who do you think they will take..... just my thoughts)

Does anyone know if they will allow you to interview with out having submitted GRE scores? I already file my application, but want to retake GRE before I send in scores.

I completely agree, and I am trying to enroll in the class, but being a post-bach student makes it harder to force your way into full classes. I'm just hoping that I can still be a candidate. I also compared the Gen Bio I and II courses at my local university and the course descriptions are basically the same, unfortunately the school I graduated split the classes into Zoology and Botany instead of Bio I and II.

In regards to the GRE scores, if you have scores already submitted I would think you could still get an interview. If you haven't taken it yet or havent submitted your scores to them, I wouldn't think they would email for the interview just yet. They may email you and ask about your GRE scores and when you plan on taking it. Good luck with your application and GRE

I completely agree, and I am trying to enroll in the class, but being a post-bach student makes it harder to force your way into full classes. I'm just hoping that I can still be a candidate. I also compared the Gen Bio I and II courses at my local university and the course descriptions are basically the same, unfortunately the school I graduated split the classes into Zoology and Botany instead of Bio I and II.

In regards to the GRE scores, if you have scores already submitted I would think you could still get an interview. If you haven't taken it yet or havent submitted your scores to them, I wouldn't think they would email for the interview just yet. They may email you and ask about your GRE scores and when you plan on taking it. Good luck with your application and GRE

Thanks Cai. If I were you, in regards to getting into a full class, I would go speak to the professor and an advisor and explain your situation. Worst they can do is tell you no. But, I have a feeling they would be a lot more willing to work with you under such circumstances.

Thanks Cai. If I were you, in regards to getting into a full class, I would go speak to the professor and an advisor and explain your situation. Worst they can do is tell you no. But, I have a feeling they would be a lot more willing to work with you under such circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

The interviews are 2 days, both half days. Day 1 - presentation and city tour. Business casual. You then go to dinner with current students. Day 2 - formal interviews. If it's the same as last year, you have 2 1-on-1 interviews and a "meet n greet" with the Dean and another student or 2.

Cbellin11: My fiancé lives in Okatie, SC which is about 35 minutes away, I'll be staying with him or his family. I was already planning on spending the 4th there anyways.

JustPassing: I submitted Mid May

Cumulative GPA:3.95

Science GPA: 3.92

old GRE: 1000

Healthcare experience:

500 Physical Therapy hours

50 PA shadowing hours

2500 Research hours

-published AHA abstract 2011

• 2 weeks later...

Archived