2016-2017 Application Cycle

Honestly who knows what they look for. They may value your experience more than mine! I'm also from out of state so maybe that is a factor.

I'm blown away as to why they wouldn't even consider you ...amazing GPA/GRE score. Are you sure your letters of recommendations are top notch? Like are these people that would write a page worth of information about you? Or just a few lines of generic goodness?

Also, consider age and HANDS ON experience? Do you have direct PA shadowing hours as well?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No exactly! My letters of recommendation were definitely good. I'm sure it is based off my experience, because I don't have specific hands on experience. Some schools do not value scribing and that's okay. And while I work with PAs I don't have direct PA shadowing. And I'm only 23 and one year out of college so that may also be a factor. I think all schools value things differently and that is totally okay!

I talked to an admissions counselor last year and she told me they valued scribe work. You really should contact them to find out why they rejected you. I got rejected after an interview here last year and they were so great about letting me know what to improve upon.

Guest krzabe

Officially got my confirmation letter! Now just waiting for a reply. So nervous!

For those who got interview slots could you post your stats please? I'm so nervous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone! I just wanted to give you my stats from last year because I interviewed last year on Nov. 18th 2015. The interview was great and staff was easy to talk to and friendly. The class was already full at this interview date but I received an "accepted pending an open seat" letter via email. I believe that I did not receive an earlier interview date because I applied later than most other applicants. This process has been a great learning experience. It is so competitive for these programs! 

2015 Stats: 

cGPA: 3.52

sGPA: 3.5 

30 hours shadowing PA

1,200 patient care hours Neurology CNA and 300 hours as a medical intern in Peru. 

Additional volunteer hours as a rehab intern, hospital volunteer and a variety of other events. 

CASPA Verified 6/4

Secondary complete 6/25

Interview offer: 11/6

Interview date: 11/18

2016 Stats: 

additional PCE (2,650 hours), along with more shadowing (60 hours)

CASPA verified: 4/30

Secondary invite: 5/30

Secondary complete: 6/1

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

I was rejected, but in case anyone was wondering these were my stats:

CGPA was 3.3 and  SGPA was 3.2 with post-bach classes being 4.0. Work in a hospital that serves the underserved. 2000+ hours of direct patient

I'm not the strongest candidate at all, but I thought they may value working with the underserved. I called to ask why I was rejected, and they told me to contact them in January since they are so busy right now (totally understandable).

I hope this helps. And good luck to you all. So far it seems you are all great candidates :) 

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on one of these forums but everyone has been posted some great info and I wanted to see if I could get some input. I also received the Secondary App invite today and although it said that I met the minimum GPA requirements it said that I did not for the LOR. I was really concerned because I did not remember reading until now that they are asking for the last letter of reference to be from a Science faculty member. Did anyone else have the same concern? I am now working on getting that last letter but I am panicked I might miss the window to potentially interview early. Currently I have 1 letter from my Director at work, and two from practicing PA's one who I personally work with. 

@Kata2016 I hope you got your question answered. Mine said the same thing about 2 months ago, and it turned out to be fine. I emailed the admissions person and she said there was nothing wrong with my LOR. Just turn it in!

I unfortunately was rejected as well. I am shocked by the types of candidates they are rejecting this year. I am sorry to those who were rejected as well, but there is hope for other schools so keep your head up! 

My stats just in case it helps any of you :)

Cum Undergraduate GPA- 3.8

Cum Undergraduate Science GPA- 3.7

2,000+ hours of experience as a CNA in a hospital as well as a long term care and rehab facility. Before that I had 2000+ PCP experience visiting peoples homes and assisted living facilities. 

30+ hours of Doctor/ PA shadowing experience

60 hours of volunteering experience in an OB department of a hospital.

GRE- Verbal: 59th percentile Quantitative: 37th percentile Writing: 80th percentile ( I would say this was my weakest area!)

I was rejected to all the schools I applied to last year, so a word of advice would be to just keep your head up and apply to as many programs as financially possible! Its not impossible to make it into this program, I got my undergraduate with a fellow classmate who was accepted. Just know that there is hope and that the school you get into will be the perfect one for you! Good luck on all of your applications and I hope to hear that someone gets an interview soon!

Are you guys receiving status updates via email or logging on to the secondary app website? I accidentally deleted the login link and can't find it anywhere online.

apply-secondary.atsu.edu 

That is the link for the secondary application - you can view your status there!

Are you guys receiving status updates via email or logging on to the secondary app website? I accidentally deleted the login link and can't find it anywhere online.

I haven't received any status updates other than "Application Complete." The link is apply-secondary.atsu.edu :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I got an interview as well for August 17. I wonder if we are the first group to interview because i don't see any earlier dates on here on in the schedule.

If any of you are from Tucson and need a ride, you can go with me.

Good luck guys, this was my top choice school. I have gone to the facilities and is very nice and the people are super caring. I was very impressed. :)

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on one of these forums but everyone has been posted some great info and I wanted to see if I could get some input. I also received the Secondary App invite today and although it said that I met the minimum GPA requirements it said that I did not for the LOR. I was really concerned because I did not remember reading until now that they are asking for the last letter of reference to be from a Science faculty member. Did anyone else have the same concern? I am now working on getting that last letter but I am panicked I might miss the window to potentially interview early. Currently I have 1 letter from my Director at work, and two from practicing PA's one who I personally work with. 

I actually called the program before applying because i could not get in touch with any of my professors from undergrad. seeing as how i graduated in 2014 they dont remember me that well either. the lady i spoke to said they would let it slide if i didnt have a science professor after i told her my problem. im not sure how much that will hurt my application but i havent heard any update after the application complete email. 

I actually called the program before applying because i could not get in touch with any of my professors from undergrad. seeing as how i graduated in 2014 they dont remember me that well either. the lady i spoke to said they would let it slide if i didnt have a science professor after i told her my problem. im not sure how much that will hurt my application but i havent heard any update after the application complete email. 

I wouldn't sweat not having an undergraduate professor.  I submitted my application with a professor but don't feel that made the difference.  My LOR's were those that all had direct supervision of me and spoke more of me as a person rather than my academic or clinical skills.  While I will say have 1-2 medical team members on your LOR's, what's more important in my opinion is that those that are writing them worked with you and/or supervised you in some level.  

Keep the faith and always remember...there are other programs.

Archived