Abbreviations, acronyms, spaces: Personal narrative

I am not an English professor.....

Most articles of a medical nature use the full name and then put the acronym into parentheses right after it and then use the acronym throughout the rest of the article.

Ex - The length of a career for a Physician Assistant (PA) is ......... 

It works for all other kinds of acronyms. It doesn't appear unprofessional or unusual - it is our title.

Most articles of a medical nature use the full name and then put the acronym into parentheses right after it and then use the acronym throughout the rest of the article.

Ex - The length of a career for a Physician Assistant (PA) is ......... 

That's how I did it. You'll thank yourself when you get finished and need to eliminate a couple of thousand characters!

• Upvote 1

That's how I did it. You'll thank yourself when you get finished and need to eliminate a couple of thousand characters!

Y'all don't know how easy you had it.  The personal statement used to only allow for about 2/3rds of the current character limit, which made writing a good statement even more a matter of economizing characters.

Y'all don't know how easy you had it.  The personal statement used to only allow for about 2/3rds of the current character limit, which made writing a good statement even more a matter of economizing characters.

Then there are those of us who are Oh My Gosh Old and didn't write a personal statement and applied to one school at a time and our references were actually typed on paper - sometimes with a real typewriter!!!!

Imagine that!

Then there are those of us who are Oh My Gosh Old and didn't write a personal statement and applied to one school at a time and our references were actually typed on paper - sometimes with a real typewriter!!!!

Imagine that!

My last job including field training new Deputies. I had to teach them how to use (and even what was) a typewriter for our few carbon copy forms. Everyone struggled with why white out doesn't work if put on just the top copy of carbon copies.

• Upvote 2

If you get nostalgic, Tom Hanks invented an app call Hanxwriter that makes the keyboard on your tablet sound and look like a real typewriter.

Pretty fun.

I had to teach my kids what a dot matrix printer was and they howled. Then I talked about a typewriter - the nonelectric and electric kind. They were baffled.

Our family's lake house has a rotary dial phone in it - they were so confused. And it was tethered to the wall and weighs about 10 lbs. 

I don't mind some technology and have my own addictions to my stupid smart phone but sometimes the clack of a typewriter would be kind of refreshing.

I can still type close to 80 words a minute. God Bless my high school typing teacher.

This is starting to remind me of the old paper PCRs we used to use in EMS....you had to squeeze a narrative into about a quarter of a page. Everything was abbreviated until my state office of EMS came out with their list of approved abbreviations. After that, my narratives started reading like they were written by a very non-native author.

• Upvote 1

If you get nostalgic, Tom Hanks invented an app call Hanxwriter that makes the keyboard on your tablet sound and look like a real typewriter.

That's awesome...the irony is palpable.

I think I read somewhere that Cormac McCarthy never graduated from his typewriter...if it would make me write like that, I'd buy one.