Osteopathic medicine provides all of the benefits of modern medicine including prescription drugs, surgery, and the use of technology to diagnose disease and evaluate injury. It also offers the added benefit of hands-on diagnosis and treatment through a system of therapy known as osteopathic manipulative medicine.
So did you hear about one of the latest books written by F.Ricard called "OSTEOPATHIC TREATMENT OF THE LOW BACK PAIN AND SCIATICA CAUSED BY DISC PROLAPSE" which represents the results of 20 years of treating disc prolapse.

What do you think about Osteopathic medicine? Is it beneficial or not?

You could find more details here: (link deleted --mods)

I'm a DO. Osteopathic manipulation has its place and is a useful adjunct. I am not good at all techniques but I use the ones I do well and my patients are thankful.

My husband has had an L5-S1 disk herniation for the past ten years that has finally progressed to a 90% canal stenosis. I could make him feel better for a while with OMM but I couldn't correct the disk protrusion into the canal. He's finally going in for a microdiscectomy next week. Can't say I'm not nervous (oh I am!!) but I'm thankful for skilled surgeons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Administrator

Yet another solicitation for a book. At least it's a slightly different subject.

Yep.  Since we've got a member in good standing responding substantively to the points of the spam post, however, I've just nuked the link, rather than the entire topic.

• Administrator

I still question: if osteopathic manipulation has much to offer, why does such a astonishingly small percentage of DOs actually use it in their practice?

Because reimbursement for it sucks?  My PCP is a DO, and that's his rationale. He can make more money being a pseudo-MD and leaving manipulation to the Chiropractors.

Reimbursement can be good, if you do it right, but payors have a somewhat regional bias. In places where DOs are everywhere with strong lobbying, reimbursement is great. One of my mentors in Pennsylvania told me OMT increased his bottom line by 50%...don't know how that works here in SC but when I'm out of residency I plan to continue to do the OMT I'm good at and see how it pans out. The patients love it and it's a good opportunity for me to do something different than write another script.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Administrator

Reimbursement can be good, if you do it right, but payors have a somewhat regional bias.

I'd heard this too.  My outpatient IM preceptor in Oregon did a booming business with OMM.  Washington? I've had patients be unable to find a DO who even DOES OMM.

Archived