Voc. Rehab (Chapter 31) for PA School

Has any former Medic/Corpsman-Veterans been approved for or going through PA School using Chapter 31 (Voc. Rehab) GI Bill with service connected PTSD? If so, how did you go about getting approved? I couldn't find any threads on this topic. Thank you. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend who was an Army medic with PTSD got approved.  He got approved for pre-reqs (BA) and the go ahead for PA school.   He was in Wichita Kansas.  His PTSD got the best of him and he had to drop out.  I am not sure if everything would of worked out through the long run.  The VA changes it mind on things.  

Wow, this is a MAJOR find!

I have 3 months left of my Chapter 33 Post/911 GI Bill, and I also am applying to PA school this cycle.

How and when would I want to apply to the Chap 31 voc rehab? Would I want to wait until accepted into PA school to apply, or just apply now?

-Greg

I was an army medic.  I was medically discharged with ulcerative colitis (30%) and ptsd (30%).  Life is good, I can't complain.  Kind of a blessing in disguise, because I got out after 6 years, completed my undergrad and was accepted to PA school my first year applying.

@corpsman89 I would try to talk to a voc rehab counselor sooner than later to see what they say. Hopefully it works out for you.

I was an army medic.  I was medically discharged with ulcerative colitis (30%) and ptsd (30%).  Life is good, I can't complain.  Kind of a blessing in disguise, because I got out after 6 years, completed my undergrad and was accepted to PA school my first year applying.

@corpsman89 I would try to talk to a voc rehab counselor sooner than later to see what they say. Hopefully it works out for you.

Nice man. I was an Army medic as well. Did you get medboarded from the Army or did you go thru VA for disability? Did 4 years went thru VA disability and got 0%. Never went back to appeal it. Got fed up with the VA and their redundancy.

Nice man. I was an Army medic as well. Did you get medboarded from the Army or did you go thru VA for disability? Did 4 years went thru VA disability and got 0%. Never went back to appeal it. Got fed up with the VA and their redundancy.

UC is an automatic MEB in the AF. I'm assuming it's the same in the army.

I'm surprised that that poster was medically discharged for it though. I've never personally boarded anyone with UC that wasn't retained. But who knows. My last MEB was a fat E4 with only 4 years in that developed borderline asthma. He was medically retired. Can't say I understand many of the board's decisions.

Has any former Medic/Corpsman-Veterans been approved for or going through PA School using Chapter 31 (Voc. Rehab) GI Bill with service connected PTSD? If so, how did you go about getting approved? I couldn't find any threads on this topic. Thank you.

I did. I will be going to PA school this summer using voc rehab.

I just applied for Voc Rehab and came across this! I just got accepted into a PA program for the fall and it will be beautiful for this to go down. I have 30% disability. Any inside how long the process is from where i am now (the beginning) and to approval of them paying for your program?

UC is an automatic MEB in the AF. I'm assuming it's the same in the army.

I'm surprised that that poster was medically discharged for it though. I've never personally boarded anyone with UC that wasn't retained. But who knows. My last MEB was a fat E4 with only 4 years in that developed borderline asthma. He was medically retired. Can't say I understand many of the board's decisions.

The Army is pushing MEB's hard over retention, especially for conditions that make you permanently non-deployable (can't send a guy with UC to an outpost). I was at Campbell and rarely saw a MAR2 get approved unless he was high speed and like the only guy who did his job in the unit.

Voc rehab is definitely the way to go if you have the rating for it. Just make sure you get all the approvals from the VA before you pay that deposit, or be prepared to take out loans if not. If you get voc rehab without having to use your post-9/11 bill, I think you can retain that for additional education.

What did you say, how did you accomplish this?

Hey sorry for taking long in responding. I was a bit busy and this app didnt even alert me of any responses.

I had 31 months left out the 48 total. I only used about 16 for my undergrad. I already paid for my deposit, and also received the reimbursement. I simply made my case as to why I needed to change jobs. My current job puts me in a predicament with my disability. I showed all my pre PA school work, and also gave reasons why my current undergrad wouldn't be enough to help me make a career change (they want to know why you can't work using your undergrad). I didnt even know I was eligible for Voc Rehab until a friend mentioned it. Thank God I qualified, and so here I'm about to attend PA school backed by the VA.

I hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I just started PA school last month. 20% disability, still actively drilling with National Guard. Voc Rehab is paying 100% tuition, fees, supplies (including MacBook pro and printer), and $1300/month stipend. Applied online, had a meeting scheduled with an advisor a few weeks later. I went in with my acceptance letter and had VA approval within a week.

I attended the initial meeting last week, and was deemed entitled to Voc rehab. The only issue is that I have nearly used all of my GI bill benefits, and those months are subtracted from the 48 leaving me with about 9-13 months of voc rehab benefits. My counselor told me that they would begin backing me know so that they can pay for the rest of my undergrad (have summer and fall left). He did say that the voc rehab program needs to have enough months for me to finish PA school and I currently do not have that as of now. Does anyone know any ways around this?

For what it's worth, I just started PA school last month. 20% disability, still actively drilling with National Guard. Voc Rehab is paying 100% tuition, fees, supplies (including MacBook pro and printer), and $1300/month stipend. Applied online, had a meeting scheduled with an advisor a few weeks later. I went in with my acceptance letter and had VA approval within a week.

I just got the letter saying they are going to review my file and contact me if they need to talk to me. Hopefully they schedual me soon, I'll be sure tp explain why a BS in Biology is ~usless unless you're going on to professional school ( and i'll bring my acceptance letter).

How are everyone's grades? My gpa has slipped a little and am awaiting an answer from PA school. Do you think it helps to be prior military? I was a navy corpsman

Pretty sure prior military helped a lot. Most applicants do not have the diverse experience we do. As always, the higher you can get your GPA the better, but I was accepted into my #1 choice with a 3.08 cumulative CASPA GPA. So, it is possible!

Archived