Bridge to Masters?

I graduated with a BS, and especially here in NY, it's becoming more and more often that I see "masters required" at most of the hospitals here for employment. While I have a job, and I'm not looking for a new one, I am trying to be forward thinking, and I also have a personal desire for a Masters. I believe my program will be offering a bridge to masters option for recent graduates, but I won't lie, my program was pretty darn expensive. If it's too costly and/or it doesn't work with my current work schedule, are there any reputable, and flexible online programs? I know the president of NYSSPA had mentioned thats how he did his a while back, but I'm curious if anyone has any personal experience. I've never taken a class online, so it's very foreign to me, but with working full time, it may be the best option for me.

there are several reputable online postgrad ms programs for pa's: nebraska, stony brook, atsu, ohsu, st francis, drexel, etc

cost varies from 10k(nebraska) to almost 30k.

something else to consider is do you really want a masters in pa or a potentially more useful masters like an mph, etc

I obviously don't have th eexperience to say whether a MS makes you "better" but leaving NYC is not something I really plan on in the next 20 years, and in this city it's all about staying up to date on things, and having all the latest certifications. I hope to evuentally end up in EM, (currently in an UC outside the city that sees way more than just fast track stuff) and while i absolutely disagree with the CQE exams, I know I'll eventually need it to practice in a NYC ER, so I may as well get started on the MS sooner or later.

Thanks for the input guys!

Nebraska hands down. I think the entire masters was $5700ish? CHEAP compared to others, and the U of N has a full MPAS PA program and medical school there. It's just more of a accepted program then one of these knock off masters programs. Additionally the program is not incredibly time consuming which was nice since I have a full time job, family etc. Lastly the staff in the Distance learning PA dept are wonderful. VERY helpful and easy going.

ps Be careful getting another masters degree. Many jobs require a MPAS and will not accept something like a masters of public health. They are not the same.

Nebraska hands down. I think the entire masters was $5700ish? CHEAP compared to others, and the U of N has a full MPAS PA program and medical school there. It's just more of a accepted program then one of these knock off masters programs. Additionally the program is not incredibly time consuming which was nice since I have a full time job, family etc. Lastly the staff in the Distance learning PA dept are wonderful. VERY helpful and easy going.

ps Be careful getting another masters degree. Many jobs require a MPAS and will not accept something like a masters of public health. They are not the same.

So does AT Still (ATSU)......they have a dental school, Audiology, PA program, and an osteopathic medical school....among other schools.....It's been my experience that employers don't care what Master's you have. Especially if you are already an experienced, practicing PA. YMMV.

The ATSU degree is an MS in Advanced Physician Assistant Studies. Just for point of clarification.

I used the University of Nebraska's Distance Learning for my Master's ten years ago. No I don't think it made me a "better" practitioner but I found some of the required reading stimulating. I must admit that I still use information compiled prior to writing my thesis as core content, of course with periodic updating of information, for patient counseling. I, too, did not require the Master's to keep my job, but would rather be proactive rather than reactive. Best wishes in your endeavors.

How long is a thesis? i hate writing papers. it's like pulling my finger nails out one by one, it's pure torture. Its the thing about a masters that is dreadful for me to think about.

oh, and Cideous, yeah I only want to do the MPAS.

BTW, how long is the Nebraska program? it's sounding more and more like the way to go, because money is absolutely an issue.

The thesis is 20 typed double space pages on a topic of your choice. I passed it first go around. Just follow their writing guide and you won't have a problem. The program has a maximum of 12 months to complete, I did mine in 10. You have to maintain a record of like 800 hours of seeing patients I believe <not 100% on that>, but you just document what you saw when you saw it and what level of care you provided.....done. If you have a fulltime job seeing patients it takes about 6 months. There are about 5 other projects that you do leading up to the paper that involve reading a few medical ethics books etc. All in all I was VERY happy with the program and can now scratch off MPAS like all the kids coming out of school now can <not to mention the NP's>. I give the University of Nebraska a lot of credit, their bridge was really helpful and well designed, not to mention affordable!

ps when I graduated from UTSW in the mid 90's there was only one Masters PA program in Texas and that was Baylor. Now they are all MPAS.

when I graduated from UTSW in the mid 90's there was only one Masters PA program in Texas and that was Baylor. Now they are all MPAS.

yup, when I graduated there were 52 pa programs and I think 4 granted an ms. I also did nebraska(finished it in 98). it cost 1800 bucks then. now it's 10k but still the best deal out there.

• 3 years later...

Its 10k but I got in without a BS...they equate PA school as upper div if you have an AS in PA studies

Also with the clinical track your MS is in your specialty.

Had I a ba\bs I would have done st francis in my program

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Was it difficult/very competitive to get into the ATSU program without a bachelors? Also, can you tell me if you need to have 1 year post-grad work experience as a PA before applying? 

Were you able to work full time while doing the program online with a fairly good balance?

Thanks!

It's work but it is what you make of it. You can skate by and pass the classes or really take advantage of the materials. It expanded my knowledge a lot especially in medical writing but the clinical modules expanded on what I learned in PA school. I started my first month after I passed PANCE so you don't need to have a year under you. You only need to prove that your AS and pre PA work is equivalent to a BA/BS.

Off you don't have a bachelor's I think ATSU is the way to go. If you have one I'd go with Nebraska. Both sound like they are well designed.

What's the bridge of the future? DMS (Doctorate in Medical Science) or 2 yr med + 2 yr residency? Not trying to open the degree creep discussion just wondering if anyone has any predictions.

What's the bridge of the future? DMS (Doctorate in Medical Science) or 2 yr med + 2 yr residency? Not trying to open the degree creep discussion just wondering if anyone has any predictions.

both.kind of.

when programs convert to granting DMS degrees the current post grad -ms programs will become post grad DMS programs for folks with lower level degrees.

I think the Lecom program will get shorter and others will open as well. I don't think the residency requirement will get shorter. so maybe 2.5 yr PA to DO, then a regular residency.

Of course, in this hypothetical future of 3 yr PA programs granting a DMS all PAs will be doing a 1 yr residency too....

Archived