PA School with a young family

I'm a 42 y/o woman with two kids, ages 10 and 6, currently doing pre-req's for PA School. I can only do one at a time as I also have to work full-time and it will take a few more years. It's a grind, but I've been wanting to do this for years and am happy to finally be on the path. I have been in private practice doing manual therapy for the last 18 years, and very much want to shift to a career in medicine. I have a very supportive partner, however her job makes it impossible to handle the before and after school hours, and I wind up with very little time to study. Despite that I'm pulling A's in my classes so far, thank goodness.

Here are my concerns: I'm worried about the hours required in PA school, (and I understand it's very demanding), given that I have no family to watch my kids after school, or get them to school, and will likely have to hire someone for this. We will be living on huge loans, and I'm not sure this is financially realistic. I'm also worried about disappearing from my kids lives for a few years, and need a good hit from you all whether this is the reality of school and how others have managed this issue with family. So, my questions, for those who have families, or for anyone who can weigh in on the realities of PA school:

- My understanding is that class hours are around 36 per week. What are study hours on top of this? 

-What are hours during clinical rotations, as compared to this, and is there homework on top of that?

-How do/did you balance school and family? Is it even possible, or should I expect to just not really be around for a few years?

(Please no general replies about how difficult school is; I understand this am good with this. I need specifics about what it looks like alongside parenting.) Thank you!!!

I feel your pain. My three kids were in high school and college when I began taking prereqs. My wife worked and I was self-employed. I took one class at a time until the last quarter (several years later) when I needed to finish three to go.

It costs money to go to PA school. You lose income for 27 months (or whatever), plus the tuition. I found that I needed to study whenever I wasn't eating, sleeping, or watching my one hour of mindless TV before bed. On the other hand, I could often work hard during the week and go home to my family for the weekend without having to do too much.

In my case, I thought that it was a reasonable investment. Plus I was older, so I could draw some from a 401-k. 

In your case? In your case, it's up to you and your wife. You don't want to miss your kids' lives either, I'm sure. I was probably 10 or so years older than you when I started and that made for an entirely different dynamic. 

Good luck making a decision.

This is so so helpful. Thank you. It's GREAT to hear stories of what it looked like. I don't know anyone my age and with family doing this. It's also helpful to hear that you (and your kids) were a bit older when you went back to school. It's hard not to feel like I'm doing this too late in life, and yet my brain is far more primed for this now than when I was in my 20's. Sound like you were closer to your 50's. That's fantastic.

My situation right now is similar so I'm eager to read any additional replies you get if you don't mind me piggybacking.

I'm 37, married, and have a 9 yo and a 4 yo. I was a dental hygienist for 11 years, but stopped practicing after I got pregnant with my youngest and we made a move to California from NC. Getting licensed to practice (especially only part-time) in CA was more expensive than it was worth. So, I became a stay-at-home mom. Money was pretty tight for a while but, my husband was transferred to Virginia in 2014 and we were able to sell our home in CA for a profit.

Now we have enough extra income to pay for my prerequisite courses so, I finally made the move to do what I've wanted to do for more than a decade.

I have 4 more courses to go for my first choice school. (Taking only one course a semester as well since I still have one kiddo at home all day and my husband travels about one or two weeks a month.) If I'm accepted I'll start PA school just before I turn 40. I'm already quite worried about childcare and missing out on their lives. Even more so that they'll feel neglected by me.

My husband will be retiring from the USAF in the fall of 2017. So, our biggest uncertainty is what type of work he'll land and planning for it to work out with being the primary caretaker of our children while I go to PA school. He is using his tuition assistance to finish a graduate degree currently. He has started looking into teaching after retirement since it will give him the best opportunity to be home with the kids when needed (and he's always wanted to teach history anyway), but in this area it would be a considerable pay cut. ???? So many things up in the air as I'm sure you can relate to!

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Darcy,

No two of us stand in exactly the same spot. Your kids are younger than mine were, and both my wife and I were working up until I "retired" and went to PA school. I think you are at an advantage because you are already taking the long view, with your husband's retirement more than a year away. And taking one class per term has the advantage of less intrusion into your life while still making positive headway towards your goal. And I teach now too, so I hope your husband's plans are as satisfying for him as my teaching has been.

You are about a decade "ahead" of where I was, so I guess I'm not surprised of the issues you have to deal with. If it were me (and it clearly isn't), I'd take it slow and see what life is like when you are ready to apply. Many people apply to several schools so you might want to broaden your target a bit, unless there are reasons that make it "this school or nothing." You haven't worked in healthcare for a while, and you might need to think about updating your healthcare experience some too.

Since you have a school in mind, you might see if you can go visit their academic coordinator, introduce yourself, and see if they have any ideas. I did that at all three schools I applied to and it was a big help. Different schools and have somewhat different requirements, and learning that early was also a help.

I wish you the best!

Darcy,

No two of us stand in exactly the same spot. Your kids are younger than mine were, and both my wife and I were working up until I "retired" and went to PA school. I think you are at an advantage because you are already taking the long view, with your husband's retirement more than a year away. And taking one class per term has the advantage of less intrusion into your life while still making positive headway towards your goal. And I teach now too, so I hope your husband's plans are as satisfying for him as my teaching has been.

You are about a decade "ahead" of where I was, so I guess I'm not surprised of the issues you have to deal with. If it were me (and it clearly isn't), I'd take it slow and see what life is like when you are ready to apply. Many people apply to several schools so you might want to broaden your target a bit, unless there are reasons that make it "this school or nothing." You haven't worked in healthcare for a while, and you might need to think about updating your healthcare experience some too.

Since you have a school in mind, you might see if you can go visit their academic coordinator, introduce yourself, and see if they have any ideas. I did that at all three schools I applied to and it was a big help. Different schools and have somewhat difference requirements, and learning that early was also a help.

I wish you the best!

Thanks so much!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived