Direct HCE--Medical Scribe/Pharm Tech

Hello,

I am currently applying for the 2017 cycle. I plan on applying to between 8-10 different schools, some of which have 500-1,000 minimum Direct HCE. I was told by the University of Kentucky that my experience as a pharmacy technician would qualify, but my time as a medical scribe in a cardiology office would not. However, I know that other schools would consider pharm tech hours as indirect and medical scribe hours as direct, so how should this be listed in CASPA?

Sorry, I guess I was unclear. I know CASPA doesn't have a "direct patient care" option, but during my time as a scribe I have taken blood pressures, weight, performed EKGs, and other "hands on" patient care. I guess my real question is how to make that clear to the programs I am applying to.

...during my time as a scribe I have taken blood pressures, weight, performed EKGs, and other "hands on" patient care. I guess my real question is how to make that clear to the programs I am applying to.

Patient Care Experience. Explain in the duties section your role and responsibilities.

Sorry, I guess I was unclear. I know CASPA doesn't have a "direct patient care" option, but during my time as a scribe I have taken blood pressures, weight, performed EKGs, and other "hands on" patient care. I guess my real question is how to make that clear to the programs I am applying to.

Those duties sound more in line with MA work.. Depending on where you are the state may or may not require certification. If you are in a non-certificate state then you may possibly be able to list MA as a job position provided your employer confirms your duties.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this something you did on a regular basis and was part of you job duties/description?  Or something you just did every once in a while?  When you say I "have" taken....it sounds like you've just done it a few times to maybe help out an MA when they're busy.  You don't want to exaggerate on your CASPA, everything can be verified (as in they can contact your employer) and the last thing you want is the program to find out that these things weren't part of your regular duties and you lied/fabricated things on your application.    

Archived