Highschool senior a little confused

Hello. I'm new to this forum. I was actually initially perusing the nursing forums for a while until I realized the idea of becoming a pa attracted me more. So here I am, but I'm a little confused on the path ahead of me. How do I go about this? What is the most efficient way? Ucr accepted me. Would attending that university for undergrad and then applying to pa schools afterward be a good choice? I also have questions about the HCE requirements? What would be the best way of going about it? I've heard about becoming an emt, but, to my knowledge, ucr doesn't offer that program. I believe rcc does. If so, would it be possible to take the program at rcc during the summer without having my admittance to ucr getting canceled. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

There are a ton of resources online to answer any and every question you have. First and foremost I would shadow a PA. Find a couple in different fields to get an idea if this is something you want to pursue. They will have a lot of good info for you as well.

It's a good idea to do this as soon as possible in my opinion. Your first year (or two) of undergrad will most likely be general classes. So figuring out if this is the right path for you before then is the smart way to go. If it is then continue on. If not, you can change it up without it affecting you to much. 

Look at a few PA program websites that you might be interested in after undergrad and see what the requirements are. This will set the course for your undergrad. Maybe a health sciences bachelor will cover most of the prerequisites from the PA program's, or maybe a bachelor in biology will.

As for hce, there are a lot of options. EMT, scribe, er tech, yada yada. Again, look at those programs you are interested in and see what they recommend and what they might exclude. Most say "hands on" but then list the exact positions they accept as hce. Volunteering is a good way to get your foot in the door at a hospital or clinic. 

Good luck to you!

There are a ton of resources online to answer any and every question you have. First and foremost I would shadow a PA. Find a couple in different fields to get an idea if this is something you want to pursue. They will have a lot of good info for you as well.

It's a good idea to do this as soon as possible in my opinion. Your first year (or two) of undergrad will most likely be general classes. So figuring out if this is the right path for you before then is the smart way to go. If it is then continue on. If not, you can change it up without it affecting you to much.

Look at a few PA program websites that you might be interested in after undergrad and see what the requirements are. This will set the course for your undergrad. Maybe a health sciences bachelor will cover most of the prerequisites from the PA program's, or maybe a bachelor in biology will.

As for hce, there are a lot of options. EMT, scribe, er tech, yada yada. Again, look at those programs you are interested in and see what they recommend and what they might exclude. Most say "hands on" but then list the exact positions they accept as hce. Volunteering is a good way to get your foot in the door at a hospital or clinic.

Good luck to you!

thank you for this in depth response. I'll keep all of these things in mind while further researching the profession.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived