woodlingj

Finishing Undergrad in 3 years, then what

I'm currently finishing up my 2nd year at UC San Diego. I will be going to school all summer and all next year in order to finish my undergrad in 3 years. I plan to take a year off after undergrad to accrue some HCE (leaning towards CNA), shadow doctors and PAs, and to take a few prerequisites that my school doesn't offer and then I will apply (2018-2019 cycle). My issue is that because I've been rushing school, I have hardly any extracurriculars. My current GPA is a 3.92 (science GPA is about the same) and I don't expect it to move much beyond that in either direction. I've been a part of a few clubs, have a few random days of volunteering and I will be volunteering in the burn unit of a hospital starting in a few weeks and continuing all year (I expect around 150-200 hours). My targets are Southern California schools like Western, Marshal B Ketchum, Southern California University of Health Sciences, etc. 

A few questions:

1) Will not having any research (especially coming out of UCSD) have a negative impact on my application?

2) Is a good GPA, a good amount of HCE and some volunteering enough to land me an interview specifically at California schools? 

3) Is a shorter undergrad time looked at any differently? Either positively or negatively?

I would love to do more volunteering and get involved more and even do some research but I just don't have enough time with my really heavy course load and keeping up my GPA is my first priority. And before it is suggested, slowing down and taking an extra year for undergrad is not an option in my case.

I'm just trying to stay on track and make sure I can pursue my dream career! Thank you in advance for any and all advice :)

Start getting some health care experience

Research is kinda whatever.

Shorter undergrad doesn't matter as much as being able to show that you are able to balance and be successful with a large work load/proving your time management skills

I would have a minimum of 1000 hours of HCE....2000+ is more competitive

I'd say:

1) yes

2) no

3) no

3.9 GPA and 1000+ good quality HCE (with a strong personal statement and good LORs) should garner some interviews.

Hey! Current WesternU PA-S here.

Your GPA is definitely very competitive for the SoCal schools. Like others have stated, if you don't have much HCE hours, that should be one of your highest priorities. The HCE requirements vary widely among the SoCal schools from WesternU (where HCE is "recommended") to USC/Loma Linda where they require at least 1000-2000 hours. There are some solid EMT programs in SoCal that allow you to go through the entire thing in 4-5 weeks (like UCLA's program). That's the one I did to land a job as a ER tech to rack up the hours. If you dedicate a year's worth of time mostly to HCE, you should easily be able to hit the ~2000 hour mark. With that, you'd have a nice solid foundation for most of the SoCal schools. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Why are you "rushing" through school? I don't see the benefit...

Agreed.

College is a blast. Relax and stay a while. Get that 3.9 GPA in 4 years and have some fun.

• Upvote 1

As soon as I graduate I am planning on getting certified with either CNA or EMT and hopefully find work full time. If not, I'll at least work part time with that and do medical scribe part time as well so I shouldnt have an issue getting at least 1500 hours before I apply and of course I will continue working after I apply and before interviews so that should put me close to 2000. I know some schools don't count scribe, but if I could only find part time work, I think it would be better to do it in addition to the other job.

If I were to do any research, would clinical research be more favorable than bench work? Or favorable at all for that matter?

I was having similar worries to what Z-PAC brought up, will my lack of extracurriculars DURING school be an issue? Sure I will have all of the hours at the time of application, but will it look bad if a majority of my activities are post graduation? I certainly have more work than I have time right now but I'm concerned adcoms won't see it that way and will be put off by the fact that I didn't do school and all the other stuff at the same time.

As for my rushing through school, personal and financial circumstances are limiting my options.

I really think you're overthinking the extracurricular thing.  It's great to be involved but joining clubs or being president of some random society is really not going to make or break your application.  If you have the grades, HCE, etc, stop worrying.  

• Upvote 1

Seriously, extracurriculars are nice, but they aren't going to change anything about your application.  You are competitive once you get your HCE.   Get the HCE drop the concern about clubs and such

I think you're in fantastic shape. Research and extras mean pretty much nil as long as you have the grades and the shadowing/HC experience.

In addition, the 3-year plan course load with a high GPA demonstrates that you are able to succeed in a rigorous academic environment, which is something ad comms are looking for. Most people I've known who graduated in 3 years did so for financial reasons, and it is not as uncommon as some think. If you can do it and maintain an excellent GPA all the more power to you - you have the good grades and saved yourself some serious $!

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ChowdaHead
      https://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/actspar

Wondering if anyone has any experience/information/thoughts UCSF Fresno, specifically this ACS/Trauma Surgery Residency. Considering relocating for the opportunity. New grad, I liked what I saw during the visit. Not looking for some one to make a decision for me, but any information would be great. 
      Thanks
    • By ttnPA
      Hi guys, 
      I am currently an undergrad about to graduate in May with a bachelor of science in Neuroscience. I'm hoping to get some advice/insight on my application and stats. 
      cGPA: 3.4
      sGPA: 3.2
      Last 60 hrs: 3.7
      PCE: 
      ER scribe: 2000+ (I understand not all school accepts this as PCE but the schools I will be applying to does)  MA?: 700 hrs. (I worked at a Chiropractor office about 2 years ago. I didn't have a job title but my duties included triage, assisting physician in minor procedures, and acting as a medical translator between the patient and the physician) Would this still count?  Medical Assistance: About to begin this job in May at a local urgent care near my house. Will be train on the spot and hopefully get certified in a few months. Volunteer: 
      Children Hospital: 60+ hours Volunteer at local hospital in high school: 50 hours (Don't know if this would still count) Shadowing:
      30+ hours ER PA (2 separate PA) 10 hours cardiology PA pending shadowing with ICU PA  LOR:
      ER physician  ER Physician ER PA Cardiology PA GRE: taking in May 
      So, I understand both of my GPA is on the lower side. I did dual enrollment as a high school student and my transfer GPA after starting college was 3.8. Sadly, something very unfortunate happened in my life a week before my first semester and it became really tough balancing school, my life, and my mother's medical issue. I was also a Biology major and very confused about what I wanted to do in my life during this time. Took a bunch of classes I never needed (wasted money) and made B's on most of them and 1 C. Then, the following year my mother's health worsened and stupidly during this time I decided to take O-chem while all of this was happening.  I ended up failing my first class ever with a D. It took a while for me to bounce back but I eventually did and passed O-chem the second time I retook it. Since then, I've changed my major to Neuroscience (LOVE IT) and have made A's in most of my classes and 2-3 B's in others. 
      Is there anyway to improve my application? I am planning to apply this cycle regardless just to get familiar with the process and hopefully I get an offer or two. However, I am prepare to accept the fact that I may not get in this year so that means I might have a "gap" year to improve myself. I would appreciate any advice/insight! Thank you for taking your time to read this!
    • By KellyBeth
      Hi everyone,
      I really really want to be a physician assistant, but I don't have the most outstanding test scores or grades. I was wondering if you all could give me your opinion on if I have any chance at all of getting into a PA program. My overall GPA was a 3.30 and my science GPA was a 3.27. I took the GRE and got a 155 on verbal, but only a 145 on the quantitative section, and a 4.0 on the writing section. I will have 1,720 hours of healthcare experience working as a CNA by the time I am planning to apply to physician assistant programs. I also have 24 hours of shadowing PAs as experience. Please let me know if you think I have any chance of being accepted into a PA program. Also, if any of you have any recommendations on PA programs that would be best for me to apply to based on my stats I would greatly appreciate that!
      Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
    • By samweres
      Hi everyone. I am planning on applying for my second time this upcoming April 2019. This past cycle i decided to apply in June 2018 and didn’t get my apps in until late July. I just applied to two programs that i already qualified for. I think my main error last cycle was applying so late and to so few schools.  I should’ve just waited until this cycle, but it is okay because now i am more prepared and have a bulkier application. If anyone could give me advice on areas to improve on that’d be great! 
      Bachelors in Respiratory Care (2017)
      cGPA: 3.4 (Caspa 2018 calculation)
      sGpa:3.4 (Casap 2018 calculation)
      Since last cycle i have taken or i plan to have completed before this cycle: Bio 2(A),Chem 2(A), Genetics (A), Orgo I (TBD, estimating a B+ to be on the safe side), Stat (TBD, est A). This should bring my GPA up to at least a 3.5 - 3.6ish?
      3,300 hrs PCE as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (full time current career)
      100 hrs volunteer/HCE medical mission trip to Peru.
      25 volunteer hours from various events in college
      500 hrs leadership experience for running student run organization in college(dance team)
      4 years of being on college dance team.
      700 hrs non HCE work as nanny of 3 children including one autistic child
      24 hrs PA shadowing (cardiac surgery, critical care/pulmonary, plastic surgery)
      GRE: scheduled for March 30 (have started studying, hoping for a 300)
      LOR: 1 PA I shadowed, 1 from my Respiratory Care Manager, and one from my Resporatory peogram director/professor(?). I can probably do another PA if that would look better, but I know some schools require a professor  
      Any criticism would be helpful! My goal is to apply before May 15th this cycle to about 7 schools! Thanks in advance everyone!

• By UCSF Fresno
      The University of California San Francisco (UCSF) - Fresno Emergency Medicine PA Residency is accepting applications for the 2019 application cycle. This 18-month postgraduate program, affiliated with the UCSF School of Medicine, is designed to prepare PAs to practice in a variety of emergency medicine environments.
      We will be accepting 2 residents in 2019. The class will start June 26, 2019 but we will be offering rolling admissions into the Fall for accepted applicants who have a later PA school graduation date. 
      Deadline to apply is January 15, 2019. 
      Rotations include:
      Trauma Critical Care Pediatric Emergency Medicine Burn Orthopedics Dermatology Ophthalmology Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Toxicology Emergency Ultrasound Anesthesia EMS  Resuscitation courses include: ACLS, ATLS, BLS, PALS
      18-month stipend: $90,000
      Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, 401k, employee assistance program, 4 weeks of vacation, membership in the Society of Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants (SEMPA), UCSF email access, textbook, malpractice coverage, and more.
      Paid travel to SEMPA 360, SEMPA's annual conference.
      Our state-of-the-art ED at Community Regional Medical Center serves as the only Level 1 Trauma Center/Burn Center for Central California, and handles an annual ED volume of over 110,000.
      The Department of Emergency Medicine hosts fellowships in Emergency Ultrasound, Medical Education, and Wilderness Medicine. Our faculty are involved in EMS, wilderness medicine, ultrasound, medical education, toxicology, international emergency medicine, and more. They are also leaders in the emergency medicine and EMPA community.
      For more information, please see the attached flyer.
      Website: http://www.fresno.ucsf.edu/emergency-medicine-physician-assistant/

Email: em.pa.residency@fresno.ucsf.edu
      Residency Flyer.pdf

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More