is it possible to catch herpes during a pelvic exam?

So not a huge fan of herpetic cockroaches then?  What sort of PPE do you need for those - full body condom or targeted one?  Fruit flavoured or not?

SK

A large dose of mineral oil spiked with lidocaine and me wriggling in the hall for an hour after being convinced that little monster was still alive and crawling on me.

Don't even start with snakes.

One of my surgeon attendings in school was a snake expert. They always called him down to the ER with any suspected envenomation. One subject brought the live snake into the ER in a milk crate. Surgeon comes down, whips the lid off, grabs the snake by the head and proclaims - "this isn't a viper. See. The head isn't triangular" and proceeds to show me the damn snake right up close to my face and body. I had good bladder control but probably suffered a moment of SVT.

He just llooooooved snakes........................ was a blast to scrub with but had some pretty weird hobbies.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

Change clothes if shat upon or barfed upon.

Wash ER clothes in nice hot water and hot dryer.

Wash your hands.

Just my thoughts

to the OP: bears repeating

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. 

oh yeah and don't eat with out   Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. 

Vent, the dude/dudette has enough issues with OCD without having them wash their hands so much that they look like they got a barracks rooms shower with floor soap and scrub brushes...unless you actually are trying to drive them over the edge of course.  If that's the case, well I'll just step aside and get a bowl of popcorn.

SK

OCD stuff aside, the live cockroaches would freak me out probably the most. But I think as others have posted the OP needs to learn to accept this is part of medicine. Along with any procedure or even a simple exam comes risks of catching something. I know we were told by our professors to expect to get sick on our peds rotations.

If they can't deal with that risk then maybe other less procedure heavy areas to practice are a better fit.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds insanely stupid when medical professionals use the term OCD to describe anything other than OCD.

I agree.  I'm a stickler for definitions and proper terminology.  Personally, I try to be very precise, methodical, and technical before I label someone OCD, reviewing the case many, many, many, many, many, many times before I make a formal diagnosis to ensure my diagnosis adheres to the strictest of criteria.

I agree.  I'm a stickler for definitions and proper terminology.  Personally, I try to be very precise, methodical, and technical before I label someone OCD, reviewing the case many, many, many, many, many, many times before I make a formal diagnosis to ensure my diagnosis adheres to the strictest of criteria.

...And that's only on the first review.

I'm going to have to dig out the paper I jokingly wrote for the NEJM regarding observations I made of a couple of disorders I coined after many years service in the military, some of which this person (the OP) does have traits of.  One is CRIS and the other is FITH.  Neither have made it into the DSM-V as yet, but I'm hoping they will in the TR edition.

CRIS is Cranio-Rectal Insertion Syndrome and FITH is F*&ked In The Head - the former essentially covers people that wander the earth completely oblivious to what they see, say or do (often in combination) and how those actions affect others and the latter, well, is generally self explanatory, but when I would come up with that on psych rounds, I'd explain it by the fact that there were too many traits of too many DSM diagnoses to fully encompass what was wrong with the patient...a politer way of describing it would be "Touched by the Baseball Bat of God".  CRIS is  profoundly noticeable in military, civil service, health care management and political circles; FITH is something seen in all aspects of the general population, including medicine.

SK

• 3 weeks later...

"let our hair down" except of course, when you're doing a pelvic exam. I put my hair back, then. ;)

I feel like one of the good things about this board is the ability to let our hair down (so to speak, this is funny if you've met me) so I'm not necessarily worried about the "likes" and "I means" and "maybes." Seems to me that QM is trying to verbally acknowledge the idea that this is all probably silly, but he/she is worried anyway. And fair enough. But really, when you do that, please understand that if you pitch a question in terms of "I know this might be dumb, but..." then responses may follow your lead and mostly be "yep, you're being dumb."

I agree 100% with Boats, and I also had thought back to that previous thread from a couple of months ago. Remember what I said in that one, about my own horrible first job after school, and how it made me feel totally unprepared and vulnerable to mistakes? Don't let the environment do that to you, QM. Like Boats said, you have the knowledge and probably the skill, now it's your mission in life to put it all together. And not for the sake of some employer who isn't being fair with you; for yourself. And for your patients.

My god, the patients. I don't know how someone would feel if she came in, likely already feeling embarrassed about having a herpes outbreak, and the provider gowned up and did all this isolation stuff for a routine pelvic exam.

Please, do whatever you need, talk to whomever you need to talk to, to get your mind a little more at ease. And don't forget to think about how your patients are likely to feel about this skittishness you display. This is a safe place to let it out, but make sure it's not also a vibe you're giving off all day every day.

It sounds insanely stupid when medical professionals use the term OCD to describe anything other than OCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh. Exactly. You're not OCD. Everyone thinks I'm "OCD" at work because I like organization and being efficient in my work. Nope, just organized and efficient. not OCD.

Archived