Paid time off

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Paula

What's WRvU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

work relative value units.   It means you are paid on production and each task you do has a value to it.  So, for example, a procedure such as an I&D might be worth 1.4 units at a value of $30.12 per unit.  All your coding has a value.  If you are in  a procedure rich environment you will make more as they pay more.  

This system may be going away in the future and replaced with Value Based Care.....meaning if you can prove you are showing value by helping patients achieve certain health markers, your group will be paid for it.  

This is a whole 'nuther topic to discuss as it is in it's infancy and no one seems to know exactly how it will all shake out.  CMS has released pilots and about 5,000 practices will be in the pilots to see how much money CMS and insurance companies can save by switching to this method  (my take on the whole thing is one of suspicion). 

In my strong opinion, anyone accepting 2 weeks or less PTO and no separate time for CME dates is letting the employer take advantage of them. Even if they're only 24 y/o and this is their first FT job. Don't be afraid to counter and ask for 3-4 weeks at the least and/or sick days.

i recently turned out an otherwise decent job because the guy refused to offer any PTO at all, and thought he was being generous by offering a paltry $1,000 for annual CME, but with no CME,which means not working my three 12s for that week at $50/hour was going to mean he actually was gonna make $800 off me not being at work that week if I was off at a CME conference.

In my strong opinion, anyone accepting 2 weeks or less PTO and no separate time for CME dates is letting the employer take advantage of them. Even if they're only 24 y/o and this is their first FT job. Don't be afraid to counter and ask for 3-4 weeks at the least and/or sick days.

i recently turned out an otherwise decent job because the guy refused to offer any PTO at all, and thought he was being generous by offering a paltry $1,000 for annual CME, but with no CME,which means not working my three 12s for that week at $50/hour was going to mean he actually was gonna make $800 off me not being at work that week if I was off at a CME conference.

really depends on the rest of the package. I get 2k for cme + all professional fees, 100% medical/dental/vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, retirement at 25% of yearly income, AND only have to work 80 hrs/mo to qualify for this(after 10 years there). I think accepting 2 weeks of paid vacation a year is a fair trade off for this, considering I can actually use flex time and be off whenever I want as long as I meet my shift/mo requirements (that's working 7 days/mo with 12 hr shifts....).

• 1 year later...

really depends on the rest of the package. I get 2k for cme + all professional fees, 100% medical/dental/vision, short and long term disability, life insurance, retirement at 25% of yearly income, AND only have to work 80 hrs/mo to qualify for this(after 10 years there). I think accepting 2 weeks of paid vacation a year is a fair trade off for this, considering I can actually use flex time and be off whenever I want as long as I meet my shift/mo requirements (that's working 7 days/mo with 12 hr shifts....).

Hate to dig up an old thread, but is this normally the trend for all emergency medicine PA's? Could I for instance front load and work the first 7-8 days of the month, then work the last 7-8 days of the next month and have myself a long extended vacation? Or is that a completely pipe dream?

Hate to dig up an old thread, but is this normally the trend for all emergency medicine PA's? Could I for instance front load and work the first 7-8 days of the month, then work the last 7-8 days of the next month and have myself a long extended vacation? Or is that a completely pipe dream?

Varies. I changed job to Urgent Care for a huge organization. I am obligated to 13 shifts a month which includes 2 weekends to keep full time status. Theoretically I could crush it for 2 weeks and be off the rest of the month. However the needs of the organization and scheduling requirements makes that impossible and it is the only position I have ever had where I am hourly and earn 1.5 for OT so they try to avoid that as much as they can. BUT they do try to work with me. I am taking a week off in May and they scheduled my 13 shifts the rest of the month so no cost to me in PTO. I accrue 22 hrs of PTO monthly, get 5 days CME, only 3 paid holidays, and there are a few odds and ends like personal days and grieving for deaths in the family. Jury duty gets paid no matter how long.

Wish I saw a thread like this when I was looking for my first job a couple of years ago...

Here in Western PA, first job was 2 weeks vacation, 1 week CME, 3 personal days, and $1,500 for CME.  Asked for 3 weeks of vacation and more call pay after they offered me the job.  They took 4 weeks to get back to me and said, "We don't negotiate.  This is the going rate for the area." 

If I could go back in time, I would never have accepted this.  It was way too low, especially for CT surgery.  The bottom norm should be at least 4 weeks of PTO (or something equivalent) and 1 week CME for a full-time surgery job. Don't accept what I did!      

Guest ERCat

Olivander - ER PA here and yes, that's how it is. I only get two weeks (80 hours) of PTO a year... but as long as I meet my shift minimum every month which is 15 shifts that's all they care about. Or don't care about! I am taking 3 weeks off and only working 8 shifts this month and no one really cares. So while ER PTO is low I pretty much can get a decent schedule. I.e next week I work Monday and Tuesday, have Wednesday through Sunday off. I try to do a stretch of four days off every month at least once because it does make a huge difference!

I am lucky enough to have an ER job that allows me to plan around long vacations AND get one month paid time off to use if I ever need it... I work twelve 12s a month and scheduling is very flexible. I'm about to leave for my second ~2 week long international vacation since the start of the year. I had to use 1 PTO shift in January but don't have to take any PTO for my next trip. It kind of sucks to come back jet lagged and then work 12/16 days but I obviously can't complain. I can also cash out any unused PTO at the end of our contract year at my hourly rate. When not traveling, I give myself 5 day weekends at least twice a month.

Olivander - ER PA here and yes, that's how it is. I only get two weeks (80 hours) of PTO a year... but as long as I meet my shift minimum every month which is 15 shifts that's all they care about. Or don't care about! I am taking 3 weeks off and only working 8 shifts this month and no one really cares. So while ER PTO is low I pretty much can get a decent schedule. I.e next week I work Monday and Tuesday, have Wednesday through Sunday off. I try to do a stretch of four days off every month at least once because it does make a huge difference!

Thanks for the response ERCat! Emergency medicine is definitely my calling. I think this suits my personality and how I operate. I don't mind whether I work days, nights, or whatever. I just know that I'm not cut out for the 8-5, 5 days a week routine schedule. It'd drive me insane. I like that you can organize your schedule around when you plan on taking a vacation despite actually taking any official PTO.

I am lucky enough to have an ER job that allows me to plan around long vacations AND get one month paid time off to use if I ever need it... I work twelve 12s a month and scheduling is very flexible. I'm about to leave for my second ~2 week long international vacation since the start of the year. I had to use 1 PTO shift in January but don't have to take any PTO for my next trip. It kind of sucks to come back jet lagged and then work 12/16 days but I obviously can't complain. I can also cash out any unused PTO at the end of our contract year at my hourly rate. When not traveling, I give myself 5 day weekends at least twice a month.

I love you guys for giving all this incredible information! It's such a help in getting a better feel of how emergency medicine and scheduling actually works.

• 1 year later...

Bringing back an old thread. It seems still in this day & age there are many employers offering sh&t for PTO! If all PA's across all specialties stop accepting minimal PTO, then this won't happen, but obviously many are accepting very little PTO. I had one offer that was only 10 days PTO. I didn't even bother negotiating that. Even worse a while back, had an offer of only 7 days (though it was 12 hrs/day), and another that wasn't an offer, but out-of-state so I wanted to clarify what a hypothetical offer would be before flying out to interview, and it was 7 days (in this case 8 hour days). The office manager said she'd ask the doctor if they could do more, but I never heard back. I have a current offer that is 14 days PTO + 5 days CME. No mention of holidays. I need to clarify all of that, and I'd like to get the PTO up to 20 days. IMO, working in medicine can be physically and mentally exhausting, and the time off is needed, or burnout can & will happen. I also hate when there is no additional sick time, so if you get the flu one year, there goes a week of your vacation! We should be given 10+ sick days per year, as we should NOT be working while sick AT ALL in the medical field!

my last job (interval between 2016 and 2018) was 1 week of pto and 1 week of paid cme/yr. Now I am 1099 , so obviously no paid leave, but I can schedule myself off almost anytime. My full time job is 6 24s/month. I have another part time contract for 3 12s/month.

No PTO at my current job - never had any prior employers.  I do EM.  Currently, 10 12 hour shifts/month is considered full time and they're very flexible about scheduling, so it's not an issue.  Their rationale - which is similar to what I've heard from other employers is that rather than reduce the hourly rate and give PTO, they just let folks manage their time off via scheduling.  That's always been satisfactory for me.  This employer is by far and away the best I've ever had.

I was reading through this thread and saw this:

On 4/23/2017 at 11:02 AM, CVTSPA said:

Here in Western PA, first job was 2 weeks vacation, 1 week CME, 3 personal days, and $1,500 for CME.  Asked for 3 weeks of vacation and more call pay after they offered me the job.  They took 4 weeks to get back to me and said, "We don't negotiate.  This is the going rate for the area." 

and automatically knew we work for the same company, even though I'm in Eastern PA and it's 2 years later. Still the same CME. Was hired about a year before CVTSPA's post and got the same response when I asked for more time off. But this system has a monopoly on Western/Central/Eastern PA, so they keep pay low and benefits minimal for APs. 

Archived