Licensure question: Osteopathic Board of Medicine

Hi All, and Happy New Year.

I am trying to answer what I thought was a simple question, but it is a state holiday and the boards of medicine are not open. I have been a licensed PA in the state of Pennsylvania for 18 months. My original SP was an MD, so I am licensed with the Board of Medicine as a "medical" physician assistant (this is the language on my written license). I have left my first position and have two offers at present, one of which is with a solo practitioner who happens to be a DO.

As I understand the requirements in this state, I am not licensed as an "osteopathic" PA. Will I now have to apply for licensure with the Board of Osteopathic Medicine in order to be supervised by a DO? This seems more than a bit cumbersome, and adds time and expense to the process of my job transition. Am I understanding this correctly? Will I have two separate licenses and license numbers? How can this be?

Thank so much for any clarification you might have on this. I couldn't find this question elsewhere in the state specific forum.

Yes, yes and yes. What I find particularly idiotic is that the 2 boards are housed in the exact same location with the exact same address on their respective letterheads...and then you will receive correspondence from the same staff member for both boards. The epitome of government waste and needless bureaucracy. I believe the prescriptive laws vary between OPAs and MPAs too-- be sure to check.

I am licensed by both boards in PA although have not worked clinically in this state. I'm just here for med school.

Thank you both so much for the replies. This is beyond ridiculous. It may be a deal breaker as well; I do not believe the offer can be put on hold for 3 months while I deal with such nonsense. I have been a licensed, practicing PA in the state for the last 18 months; you would think there could be some kind of reciprocity arrangement between the two boards. Once again, a good area for our leadership to effect positive change....

Separate osteopathic boards is the problem--a few states deal with this. The PAs who work with DOs are affected by a trickle-down but it just is what it is...I don't think it's necessarily anything the PA society can change without rewriting law.

One of several reasons I am going back to the south or NW when all is said and done. The other more immediate reason? It was 73 and sunny when I left SC yesterday on Jan 1, and now 28 and frigid with lake effect snow in Erie. Brrrr!!!

I will second the notion that PA licensure is an inefficient monstrosity of lost paperwork. Took me 10 months to get licensed (did both boards simultaneously) after holding unrestricted licenses with no complaints in 3 other states over 10 years!

Archived