ER positions in Manhattan for New Grads?

I will be graduating soon and will be moving to Manhattan this summer. Are there any hospitals in the area that hire new PA grads to work the ER? 

EMed would be my top choice but the sense that I am getting is that new grads are generally not hired in the Manhattan are to work in the ED.

I also know that NYP Cornell has a residency program for EMed, maybe that's where they pool their new grads from? I would be interested in looking for a position rather than a residency!

Anyone that moved from a different field into EMEd in Manhattan?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

NYC is saturated with PAs and most large hospitals are teaching hospitals. You will be underpaid (compared to nationwide average), decreased scope (most fast track, though a few smaller community hospitals have PAs in main) and find it difficult to get your foot in the door without any prior experience.

Strongly consider residency. The only place in Manhattan that I know of that has PAs seeing ESI patients 3-5 (abd. pain, vaginal bleeds, etc) is Mt. Sinai Beth Israel (they are closing within 2-3 years); there could be a couple others... but Manhattan is dominated by NYP, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Beth Israel and Bellevue which are teaching hospitals. In the outer boroughs you will have a better chance of landing an ER position and one involving patients more acute than those seen in fast track.

• 3 months later...

To be honest, you are going to have a very hard time finding ER work as a new grad in NYC.  I was in the same boat, and it took me years to find such a job...and I went to school in NYC. Too many PAs, hospitals have the pick of the litter...There are exceptions, of course, for exceptional PAs, such as if you were the emergency room deity on your rotations in a major trauma center, and can prove so with glowing reviews from top EM docs, but otherwise...you are far better off trying EM somewhere in the reachable vicinity (upstate NY, Connecticut, New Jersey, etc). And even if you find a position, NYC is a rough environment; many ERs have their hands beyond full with overworked attendings trying to teach to teach residents AND see endless patients (with many hospital closures in past years, the remaining ones are constantly slammed), and as such, helping a new grad learn the ropes of EM is not a top priority.  

If you can get into residency (NYP Cornell or North Shore (aka north-well) Staten Island University Hospital, or other not-so-distant ones in upstate NY or Philly), that's the best way.  Keep in mind that the number of residency spaces are VERY limited, and you better be very well polished and dynamic, but humble and eager, to win a shot at those.  

If you have some Urgent Care experience either in fast track from your ER rotations, or otherwise are half decent at family medicine/clinic, there are a lot of Urgent Care places hiring in the NYC area;  UC is a great way to learn a lot of EM-oriented stuff, and in some ways an even better job than actual ER work, for some.  You will have to be prepared to hit the ground running, but that is a strong possible route.

The most likely and realistic scenario is you work your way up for a few years in enough fields to give yourself a decent resume that shows potential, perhaps in Urgent Care, family med, internal med, ICU/CCU, cardiology, etc.  If you can get a leg in at a hospital doing anything related (IM, CCU/ICU, etc...not dermatology clinic), you may be able to transfer laterally at some point.  As this is NY, you will likely have to accept that the pay and all on your way up will not be necessarily stellar, but that this is a journey.  Unfortunately in NYC you simply cannot have it all (good pay AND your chosen field AND etc etc) at once...but you can get there with time and effort, and the journey on the way will be beneficial for well-roundedness in the long run.

There are exceptions, of course, for exceptional PAs, such as if you were the emergency room deity on your rotations in a major trauma center, and can prove so with glowing reviews from top EM docs, but otherwise...you are far better off trying EM somewhere in the reachable vicinity (upstate NY, Connecticut, New Jersey, etc).

also keep in mind there is a great em pa residency in upstate ny run by a former em pa, now em DO super-stud Brian Kloss. very nice guy. very interested in teaching. has written several textbooks, lectures regularly on EM at major conferences, etc.

If I was in the area I would STILL do his residency.

Archived